By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Good platformer beside SMG? Death Jr review.

Finished it allready on the PSP ... it wasnt bad , and I guess the controls are probably even better :) A bit to repetitive for my taste ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

I read that review the other day--I actually thought it would be stupid, but the review convinced me to give it a chance if it's $20-$30.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Buy the PSP version if you can. And yes, this is a year and a half old port.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I wondered what was up when IGN was doing behind the scenes features on this title. I figure it must be half decent if they're devoting that kind of attention to it (maybe). These reviews are surprisingly solid. I expected the worst from a PSP port. I may have to pick this up along with SSX Blur.

It is a port, but all the graphic models and textures were redone with higher poly counts, etc... and CGI redone and optimized for 480p, etc.... More a remake than just a quick and dirty port.

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
Buy the PSP version if you can. And yes, this is a year and a half old port.

Why would you want the lower quality version?

Can it look anymore like shovel ware?

The gameplay looks like a rip-off of Ratchet and Clank in a generic shovelware environment. Meh.

a.l.e.x00 said:
Can it look anymore like shovel ware?

How is this shovelware?! It looks pretty decent to me! Also, according to various articles the devs definitely took the time to totally revamp this title for Wii, optimizing it everywhere they could (higher poly count, more mapping effects, optimized framerate etc...) Also, they added some content. Some new maps, co-op, everything works flawlessly in this game. You could call it more like a remake then a port from 'just another PSP game'.

THE NETHERLANDS

Bored4life said:
Third parties have put so much crap on the Wii that anything that looks a little above a PSP is now being considered cutting edge.
The visuals look like ass.

Reviews about this game have been mixed.

Play Magazine
Wicked cool character design, cutting edge Wii visuals, great level design, a double-shot of great gameplay, massive bosses and a quirky score that ties it all together...what more could you ask for? [May 2008, p.56]
GameSpy
Though it could be viewed at first glance as a warmed-over port of a middling PSP title, DJ finds new life on the Wii through its tight control scheme and clever writing
Cheat Code Central
Overall, Death Jr.: Root of Evil is another solid platform entry in this largely successful franchise.
Game Informer
The great art style and smart writing sometimes mask the staid gameplay, but, in the end, the cookie cutter platforming buries the game's strengths.
Nintendo Power
Using the Wii remote to look around and shoot is a big improvement that addresses the PSP version's camera issues, and it's an overall better-looking game. [July 2008, p.88]
What mixed reviews? that is just good or that it's very good?