By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - RPG Announced for 360/PC - "Venetica"

shio said:
brute said:
well this is good for 360,but one question do rpg;s sell well on pc?

Western RPGs sell more on PC than all consoles combined.

That's a pretty tough line to swallow with games like Oblivion going to both the PS3 & 360 while other games like ME did almost 2m on the 360.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

Deck 13 is a German company and it has developed the Ankh adventure series which is quite enjoyable, and Jack Keane which is brilliant. And all these comments about the graphics and the visuals. Guys, watch yourself! The artistic style is a choice that doesn't necessarily follow the photorealistic visuals and HDR effects or millions of polygons.
One of the best games I've played on my 360 is Bully, a bad port from an aged PS2 title. Still, it was outstanding.
All I want to say is, GO EUROPEAN DEVELOPERS!!!

PS Where the heck are "Metronome" and "our" Thesis????

Yet another RPG!? Damn, I'll be busy this year, the list of 360 and/or PC RPG's for 08 and 09 is beyond massive...

rocketpig said:
shio said:
brute said:
well this is good for 360,but one question do rpg;s sell well on pc?

Western RPGs sell more on PC than all consoles combined.

That's a pretty tough line to swallow with games like Oblivion going to both the PS3 & 360 while other games like ME did almost 2m on the 360.

Mass Effect was easily the biggest wRPG release last year, coming from a highly-known developer, full of hype from being a 360 exclusive, and a hanful of advertisement and whatnot. As for Oblivion, I'm not sure it being multi-platform has much to do with it, and the PC version probably still outsold the console versions.

One thing certain is there are far more wRPGs on PC than on home consoles. Take Last Year's releases for example:

Wii+360+PS3:
Mass Effect (360, 1.86mil sold)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles (PS3/360)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3)
Two Worlds (360)
Alien Syndrome (Wii)

Those were all the games I could find on gamerankings. 

PC:
The Witcher (~600k copies sold in the first 3.5 months, not sure if digital distribution is counted or if it's only retail shipped. Made from an unknown polish developer with little avertisement)
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles
Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
Jade Empire: Special Edition
Avencast: Rise of the Mage
Two Worlds
and ~15 other wRPGs

I'm not counting MMORPGs, by the way. 

There's also the FPS/wRPG cross, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (1.65mil as of February '08, and it's still selling... was in Steam's top10 yesterday). If PC can't outsell the consoles when it's 5 vs 25 in terms of releases, then color me impressed (and considering Stalker sold around the same as Mass Effect). You can discount Stalker out of the list though, even I treat it as an FPS, though some people think of it a wRPG.

ok so when do we get a real RPG again... where I get to actually create my own character.. and play it like I wish ???

I miss a good baldur's gate like game or NWN on console...

Around the Network
endimion said:
ok so when do we get a real RPG again... where I get to actually create my own character.. and play it like I wish ???

I miss a good baldur's gate like game or NWN on console...
Just because an RPG is made by a western developer, it doesn't mean that it'll have character creation.  Character Creation is not something that has to be done in every WRPG

no you are right

that's something that has to be done to be called an RPG..... FULLLLLLL STOP

endimion said:
no you are right

that's something that has to be done to be called an RPG..... FULLLLLLL STOP
If an RPG need character creation to be called an RPG, then what would we have to call a JRPG?

exactly my point but..... but lets not start that never ending discution... just play the games you like guys... who really cares if they are actually rightly called RPG or not ?? ?huh :P

Yay! Another RPG for the X360.

Fable with a chick.

Impressive screens. I love the Oblivionish use of shaders and HDR.