By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have any Jrpgs been a commercial success this gen?

Enchanted arms isnt a srpg, i got the game and completed it. Its actually nto a bad game, problem is the first 5 hours are uber boring after that it gets fun. Its still a jrpg, with maybe a few strategy elements but its far from a srpg

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
mrstickball said:
Then what is Folklore? Enchanted Arms?

They are both SRPGs

No they aren't SSJ12. Folklore is an Action RPG and Enchanted Arms is a traditional JRPG.

Folklore can only be loosely considered a JRPG. It's a lot more TLoZ than it is FF.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Darc Requiem said:
ssj12 said:
mrstickball said:

They are both SRPGs

No they aren't SSJ12. Folklore is an Action RPG and Enchanted Arms is a traditional JRPG.

What i don't undertstand is that SSJ was a huge fan of folklore.  I don't get how he screwed it up so bad.

Dragon Quest Swords sold really well, and could reach a million with PAL sales. Probably the worst JRPG of this gen, but it likely generated the most profit.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Folklore can only be loosely considered a JRPG. It's a lot more TLoZ than it is FF.

Agreed.  Folklore is an action-adventure.  It has very few RPG features.  No more than say Zelda does.

Darc Requiem said:
ssj12 said:
mrstickball said:

They are both SRPGs

Ya, your right on Folklore, but I dont consider a game that makes you decide where to stand to do the most damage and hope to reduce damage to yourself a traditional JRPG due to the fact you have to strategise your battles.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

naznatips said:
Riachu said:
naznatips said:
rocketpig said:
It's sad but it seems as if people are reluctant to buy anything not labeled Final Fantasy and to a lesser extent, Square-Enix.

I'm hoping for decent results from Infinite Undiscovery (given the developer record, it should be very good) but other than that, I don't see anything taking off until FF XIII.

The latest trailer put up on Gametrailers recently was not so hot. Very poor voice acting, cliche plot and themes, and crappy graphics for this gen. To make matters worse it looks like they are copying the FFXII combat system.

I could have sworn that IGN said that the graphics were gorgeous.

The character models are very low poly. Some special effects are absolutley horrible. The water effects are nearly identical to what you would find on the PS2. Look at the particle effects on the smoke at 2:00. Trust me, none of this is anywhere near current generation standards.

They aren't WKC-caliber but the game doesn't look that bad.  I've seen better looking RPGs on the 360 i.e. Lost Odyssey.  But it still doesn't look that bad.

ssj12 said:
PhatLaosBoi said:
ssj12 said:
Your taking JRPGs on an American Console. This is the problem right now with the current JRPGs. Any JRPGs released on the Wii and PS3 will easily see over a million sales.

I wouldn't say "easily see over a million sales" because there hasn't been a JRPG for either consoles to top a million in sales yet. Unless you prove me wrong, I'll stand behind my statement.

Well considering the PS3 doesnt have a single JRPG its kind of hard for it to sell 1 million copies of zero games.

@totalwar - Valkyria Chronicles is an SRPG not a JRPG.

Considering how the Wii has several JRPG's released in both Japan and America, the sales for those games aren't even close to 1 million. Even if we take the PS3 out of the equation, JRPG's on the Wii have underperformed. 

So back to the point I was trying to make; I am just pointing out that your statement is flawed and having a JRPG on either system does not equate to guaranteed success.

Proud Owner of all 3 current-gen systems

Currently Playing:
SSBB, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, MKWii, GTA IV (360), MGS4, DQIV, Jeanne d'Arc, FFVII: Crisis Core, Chrono Trigger (PSX)

Mario Kart FC: 4897-6731-4375
SSBB FC: 1504-5406-8515
Wii Friends Code: 1020-2726-1535-3964

XBL:
PhatLaosBoi
PSN: PhatLaosBoi

Infinite Undiscovery will be a flop. It's likely to be a great game but given the console, I don't have much hope.

The problems with JPRG this gen is that they all go to Xbox360, the console where the market for such games is the smallest. I believe Microsoft has been paying to get those games to compete against PS3 in Japan.

I don't think much Japanese companies knew that Wii would be that big in Japan so it's why so few Japanese games are released on the Wii.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...