By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: 127 million PS2 sold by the end of 2007.

dtewi said:
And yes, it is shipped.

I believe there are 20 Million unsold PS2's around the world.

I seriously dought there are 20 million brand new slimline PS2's unsold on the entire planet , probably 4-9  million max.

Around the Network

@dtewi whatever dude, thanks for providing the correct data with link and all...oh, you didn't

@konnichiwa  That's the answer to my question. Thanks very much. That incorrect data looks BAD. They should seriously take it off the site.

Dude, you're getting very defensive. You have no proof yourself that this is sold to consumers.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

@dtewi read konnichiwa's post. You're the one defending something that is clearly wrong.

magnifico is just upping his post count, ignore people.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

^I guess that's why the data is like it is. It's for kiddies like yourself Neos. Stop trolling if you have nothing important to share.

Actually, the difference is likely in large part due to the difference in how Sony changed what they report. The numbers are likely fine.

Even if that wasn't the case, It's not like David Reeves hasn't gotten his numbers wrong before.

Sony in the past reported manufactured numbers instead of shipped numbers, so units they had to replace under warrenty requirements also got added within these numbers.

About a completely different remark in the article, does anybody have data on the development of the pricepoint for PS2 in Europe? Cause the article says: "We are particularly proud of this as it has been achieved in a similar time frame as PlayStation 2 which retailed, if you remember, at a significantly lower price" But PS2 got introduced in the Netherlands for 1149 gulden, which is over €500. So did the price drop very quickly and was it really that much cheaper 1 year after launch as claimed in this article?

Ok. listen.

first of all, dtewi, magnifico. Konnichiwa was referring to the hardware shipment page not the OP so you can stop arguing over that (the reason ioi can't update that page is partly because Sony/MS don't provide regional breakdown and partly because Sony's old figures for PS2/PSP are all "manufactured" as opposed to "sold to retail" so it has messed it up.

Now, @the OP.

The PS2 is an immensely popular machine all over the world, this means it has been released in many places where consoles rarely appear, ioi cannot obtain data from every country that the PS2 sells in, and even if he could he wouldn't be able to get accurate numbers from a small sample because there is no way of finding out the shipping breakdown to such countries.

Many places don't even have official sales tracking companies at all, never mind being incuded on this site.

So magnifico get off your high horse and stop complaining, there is nothing wrong with the PS2 figures except the world total, and there is no reason to pull that off the site, all there needs to be is a note explaining (which there may already be). Edit, also what koffieboon said is correct, and will account for the meat of the discrepancy.... Sony's free replacement policy for faulty PS2s ran from shortly after launch until 2005, and any console Sony sent as a replacement during that time is counted in that number.

dtewi said:
And yes, it is shipped.

I believe there are 20 Million unsold PS2's around the world.

Honestly 20 million is way to high, thats like saying there is 10 million Wiis on store shelves right now. 

The amount on store shelves is probably around 4 million meaning our numbers are off.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453