By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bioshock: Truly worth the hype

Mummelmann said:
Well, to be honest, Bioshock was last years second biggest letdown for me, right behind Crysis. I could write a huge post about why, but I've written the same things in so mnay threads so I won't bother, and I know I'm not alone in feeling this.
Bioshock's impact on console shooter audiences show well and truly how incredibly mediocre console shooters as a whole really are.

Bioshock was a letdown for me (still good like I said), but nothing like Crysis. Crysis killed my inner child with its lies about free-roaming and no linearity, horrible and generic plot, and dialogue that made me want to throw up.

I'm replaying HL2 right now, and am constantly amazed at how much I'm enjoying it despite its age. Oh, and on the Orange Box on 360:

The 16 man server cap for TF2 completely breaks the game. It's designed with 24-32 people in mind, and you need that many for all the classes to be used successfully. Not to mention Snipers are pretty much worthless with Analog controls. In HL2, the lack of mouse-precision makes the gravity gun much less useful.

Other than that it plays fine if you can tolerate dual analog controls, but I've never been able to. As I've said in the past, it makes me feel like I'm trying to put the circle peg in the square hole.

Around the Network

Yeah, Valve's work is mind blowing to most shooter fans, and both Half-Life and Half-Life 2 have aged really well compared to any other games I can think of. To this day, Half-Life (the first one) remains a very playable and fun game, a true rarity among decade old shooters. The only other games in the same genre or subgenre would be Deus Ex (which is not fully a decade old though) and the Thief games.
As developers and programmers, I think there's no other I respect more than Valve on almost all points.
The only bad thing (if it really is) is Valve's relatively long development windows, the Episodes were kinda close, but main installments seem far inbetween.
Then again, Blizzard are much the same in this regard, and both companies are notoriusly known for polishing and shaping their games to true masterpieces (except Orange Box on PS3, which was EA's blunder at any rate).
If I have to wait long for a good game, so be it. I'd rather get one masterpiece every three years or so than three our four halfassed knock-off's in the same timeframe (Need for Speed springs to mind...).
Lol, judging by waiting time alone, Starcraft 2 should be beyond epic (and it will be)!

@Naznatips
@Mummelmann

Both of you're playing the devil's advocate against my intentions to wait and buy the PS3 port of this great game (for many owners and reviews) >_>

Now you get doubt in me,I don't know anymore if I shall wait for the PS3 port or if I borrow the 360 of my cousin and play the game and then return it instead of give $70 dollars (price in my country)for owning the game.

Now I don't know what to do,both of you state your points very clearly and make me wonder how truly great is the game :(

i loved bioshock on my 360 its my favorite game

I knew someone was going to mention Half-life 2 or 1, but you have to admit: no other game does as good of a job making an atmosphere. Half-life may have had the best in the past, but bioshock is 1 step ahead. (that is, until something else comes along.)
But right now, it holds the crown for best Atmosphere. (in my opinion) And please, stop turning this into a system wars thread! I only made this thread to express how great bioshock is.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network
Strategyking92 said:
I knew someone was going to mention Half-life 2 or 1, but you have to admit: no other game does as good of a job making an atmosphere. Half-life may have had the best in the past, but bioshock is 1 step ahead. (that is, until something else comes along.)
But right now, it holds the crown for best Atmosphere. (in my opinion) And please, stop turning this into a system wars thread! I only made this thread to express how great bioshock is.

I'm curious, have you played Deus Ex, System Shock 2, STALKER or Crysis(High settings, Delta difficulty) before? I mean, finishing the games entirely. It's not that I don't think your opinion is worthless, just that I believe a person should only tout something as best ever if they have tried the majority of the things that are comparable: in this case, the atmosphere in other FPS games.

come on, you know what I mean, i'm trying to make it as clear as day. BIOSHOCK HAS THE BEST ATMOSPHERE FOR THE TIME BEING, UNTIL ANOTHER GAME COMES ALONG.
You can't compare 64-bit graphics* to the modern games of today, sure, system shock 2 may have been 10X better looking than bioshock would've in the past (if it was only 64 bit also) But right now, bioshock has the greatest atmosphere (still, only an opinion). Maybe if they would remake system shock 2, it would have the greatest atmosphere in a game. But they haven't.

*I just said 64-bit graphics to stress my point, I don't know how many it is.
I have seen a mod that makes the game look like an mid-life ps2 game though.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive