By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Around 300,000 PS3s sold in Benelux, but 360 still ahead for now.

About 712 million people live in Europe.

The Benelux accounts for about 27 million people.

Other European countries listed by VGChartz seperately:

United Kingdom: 61 million

France: 64 million

Germany: 82 million

Spain: 45 million

Italy: 59 million

Scandinavia: 19 million (if including Iceland and Finland about 25 million)

So "other Europe" on VGChartz probably represents about 376 million people of which the Benelux accounts for about 7% of the 'other Europe' population.

Some strong PS3 countries in 'other Europe' includes Ireland, Portugal, Poland, Austria and Switzerland.

I would wish the "other Europe" section would get a better description so to better understand what's covered and included within what figures.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
kamil said:
@Gazz: What's the point of the map if it doesn't show when Benelux is?

@Mike: We don't know if those numbers are shipped or sold so it may be less than 60%. But I also think that "other Europe" is undertracked. Beside Benelux there are also rich countries like Austria, Switzerland and Ireland with population close to Benelux. Some other countries like Greece, Estonia, Czech Republic or Slovenia aren't that poor either.

It's probably sold to retailers, but there have been quick restocks around here, so sold to retail and sold to consumers shouldn't have much time apart.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

kamil said:
@Gazz: What's the point of the map if it doesn't show when Benelux is?
 It does! Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg are labelled just to the left of Germany where they've 'always' been!

@ferr: If Benelux is not labelled than it doesn't show where it is.

MikeB said:

So "other Europe" on VGChartz probably represents about 376 million people of which the Benelux accounts for about 7% of the 'other Europe' population.

Some strong PS3 countries in 'other Europe' includes Ireland, Portugal, Poland, Austria and Switzerland.

I would wish the "other Europe" section would get a better description so to better understand what's covered and included within what figures.

Actually I believe Portugal numbers are included in Spain, according to ioi. I sent him a PM asking if it wouldn't be better to call it Iberia since that's the case, but I don't know if he saw it.

That makes me suspect that there are some other similar cases. Maybe Austrian numbers are included in Germany. It wouldn't surprise me if Australia includes New Zealand as well. Ireland could be together with UK.

I agree with you that these things should be more clear.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
kamil said:
It has already been explained that Benelux is Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg. All three are shown, therefore the map shows where they are! 

MikeB said:

The 376 million people is a pretty useless number here, almost all these people live in Eastern Europe and Russia (and maybe Turkey is included as well?), these countries will buy far less consoles relative to their population than West European countries. The Benelux accounting for 50-60% of other Europe seems a bit high, but it must be a significant part of it and way more than the 7% it represents when purely looking at the total population.

kamil said:

Tried putting a map in but it was far too big....oh well.

MikeB said:

why wouldn't you count finland? Scandanavia is Finland, Norway, and Sweden