By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 to have 90 minute long cutscenes?

jake_the_fake1 said:
Am I the only one looking forward to watching these movie like cut scenes?

Well being that the people that are bashing MGS4 based on the cutscenes alone are either really skeptical for MGS4, know for a fact that the cutscenes CAN be SKIPPED or don't even own a PS3 (and probably never will). I think it's safe to say the answer is NO, I for one enjoy the MGS cinematics (except in Twin Snakes when Snake was acting as a cyborg ninja) especially if they are supposed to answer all the questions.

dabaus513 said:
Every last one of you are bitches.

Sir, I'll have you know that I am NOT a bitch, I might be a slut, but I'm no bitch.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
I think my biggest disappointment with this is Kojma's desire to continue to make a game into a movie instead of blending the two a la Mass Effect. I don't mind cutscenes but developers need to learn to take advantage of the medium's strengths better. Instead of locking the player out of the story (like cinema does), welcome the player into the scene and give him/her options for movement, conversation, and manipulating the scene.

After all, the industry is referred to as interactive media, right?

In many ways, Japanese game designers seem to pursue the same line of reasoning as anime.  They have an idea for a really far out there story and they do everything to make it work instead of modifying the story to make it work.  Cutscenes are how they still push their story concept even when it wouldn't fit the gameplay of that game. 

90 minutes sounds like an exaggeration but even 20 minutes is too long for a video game and I can easily see Kojima including cutscenes that are 20-30 minutes.  I just think he is way too high on his own ideas and is suffering from the George Lucas problem where no one can tell him "No!".   Think of all the extra work that could be done on the game that might have gone into cutscenes.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

bbsin said:
jake_the_fake1 said:

Well being that the people that are bashing MGS4 based on the cutscenes alone are either really skeptical for MGS4, know for a fact that the cutscenes CAN be SKIPPED or don't even own a PS3 (and probably never will). I think it's safe to say the answer is NO, I for one enjoy the MGS cinematics (except in Twin Snakes when Snake was acting as a cyborg ninja) especially if they are supposed to answer all the questions.

Believe me, it's not because I'm already skeptical of MGS that I think 90 min cut scenes are crap.  Any game with 90 minute cut scenes is just inexcusable and I'm not going to waste my time with it.

The fact that they can be skipped doesn't do much for me either because then I miss the story.  Don't confuse the fact that I don't want to watch a full length movie while playing my game with I don't care about the story in the given game. 

nope jake your not the only one

But i wouldnt worry to much i always buy my games based on what gamereactor says and they said they loved the game and that it was the best mgs game. THey said mgs4 was on of the best when it comes to action and the best when it comes to stealth.

bbsin said:
jake_the_fake1 said:

what I see happening is that these people complaining about the cut scenes will skill all of them, and then by the end of the games they'll scratch their head and think "WTF, I don't get what's heppning" and then procceed to bitch about how the game story is stupidly complex but obviously neglect to mention they skipped all the cut scenes, YAY for kids with A.D.D (a.k.a impatient little kids)

Around the Network
twesterm said:
bbsin said:
jake_the_fake1 said:

Believe me, it's not because I'm already skeptical of MGS that I think 90 min cut scenes are crap. Any game with 90 minute cut scenes is just inexcusable and I'm not going to waste my time with it.

The fact that they can be skipped doesn't do much for me either because then I miss the story. Don't confuse the fact that I don't want to watch a full length movie while playing my game with I don't care about the story in the given game.

I suspect Haze will more to your liking :)

Profcrab said:
rocketpig said:
I think my biggest disappointment with this is Kojma's desire to continue to make a game into a movie instead of blending the two a la Mass Effect. I don't mind cutscenes but developers need to learn to take advantage of the medium's strengths better. Instead of locking the player out of the story (like cinema does), welcome the player into the scene and give him/her options for movement, conversation, and manipulating the scene.

After all, the industry is referred to as interactive media, right?

In many ways, Japanese game designers seem to pursue the same line of reasoning as anime. They have an idea for a really far out there story and they do everything to make it work instead of modifying the story to make it work. Cutscenes are how they still push their story concept even when it wouldn't fit the gameplay of that game.

90 minutes sounds like an exaggeration but even 20 minutes is too long for a video game and I can easily see Kojima including cutscenes that are 20-30 minutes. I just think he is way too high on his own ideas and is suffering from the George Lucas problem where no one can tell him "No!". Think of all the extra work that could be done on the game that might have gone into cutscenes.

The George Lucas point is a valid one. Someone needs to hire an assitant with a hammer to follow both of them around and whack them in the head whenever they try to do something insanely stupid with a quality franchise.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

shio said:

It's harder to implement the story inside the gameplay than paste come cutscenes. It can take more talent, more time, and therefore be more expensive... but the harder it is the more potential it has. Planescape: Torment is the perfect example of it (I'm not sure if any game will ever surpass it in terms of story).

I never played Skies of Arcadia so I'm just following up on your comment, but there are always limitations such as budget, time constraint and hardware limitations. However, if you had none of those limitations, what was there to stop you? Did Kojima have any limitations at all? Certainly not budget or hardware. And possibly not much on time either.

It's not that it's harder to implement so much as in some game settings it is simply not possible to stay within the genre and do it.  In a game where you walk around and get into turn-based battles, I don't expect the entire game to suddenly change into a Ninja Gaiden/Devil May Cry action game for a single battle.  Much like I don't expect a 2D fighting game to turn into a side-scrolling shooter, I expect some consistency within a game.  Due to this, I'm very much okay with giving developers the leeway of telling their story including things we wouldn't be able to play with cutscenes.

twesterm said:
bbsin said:
jake_the_fake1 said:

Believe me, it's not because I'm already skeptical of MGS that I think 90 min cut scenes are crap. Any game with 90 minute cut scenes is just inexcusable and I'm not going to waste my time with it.

The fact that they can be skipped doesn't do much for me either because then I miss the story. Don't confuse the fact that I don't want to watch a full length movie while playing my game with I don't care about the story in the given game.

Exactly. I'll watch the bloody things but if they're really 1+ hour long, I will be tearing my hair out by the end of them. Kojima really needs to learn to integrate his story better into the actual game instead of using a cutscene cop-out to explain a point he wasn't creative enough to do more subtlely.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

jake_the_fake1 said:
bbsin said:
jake_the_fake1 said:

what I see happening is that these people complaining about the cut scenes will skill all of them, and then by the end of the games they'll scratch their head and think "WTF, I don't get what's heppning" and then procceed to bitch about how the game story is stupidly complex but obviously neglect to mention they skipped all the cut scenes, YAY for kids with A.D.D (a.k.a impatient little kids)

You have it all backwards.  Lets cut to the meat of it.  If a video game designer can't tell you a story without trying to be a movie director, then they have failed.  Let me state this as solidly as I can.  Kojima may be a good game designer, but he has become a very poor story teller in his medium.  Since he lacks the ability to tell his story in the video game he must restort to cutscenes to explain what he cannot incorporate in his game.  His cutscenes have become longer as he has given up even trying to use the game.  To put it bluntly, Kojima can't hold the jock of Bioware's janitor.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.