By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - 10 Killer Apps..

When I say killer apps, I mean games that will sell > 500k and finish with review scores higher than 8.5 on www.gamerankings.com. Here are my 10 killer apps for the USA by the end of 2007 for this generation: 360: Lost Planet Halo 3 Mass Effect PS3/360: Assassin's Creed GTA 4 PS3: Metal Gear Solid 4 Wii: Super Smash Brothers Brawl Metroid Prime 3 Super Mario Galaxy Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party (you better believe dancing with hands and feet could be huge...fun...and competitive) Here are a dozen important games that should be sleepers if critically well recieved... (compiled from hype and a look at www.ign.com release dates). I consider a sleeper to have sales of 250k to 500k...with scores in the 7.5+ range average wise. If a game scores over 9 and sells under 250k I call it a cult classic. Wii: Dragon Quest Swords SSX Blur Sadness Disaster: Day of Crisis PS3: F.E.A.R. Heavenly Sword Warhawk Eye of Judgement 360: Too Human Elder Scrolls IV Shadow Run Castlevania Personally, if I had to pick 10 of these for the 3 systems...I'd go with: Wii: Metroid Prime 3 Super Mario Galaxy SSX Blur Disaster: Day of Crisis Smash Brothers DDR: Hottest Party 360: Lost Planet Too Human Castlevania PS3: Metal Gear Solid 4 I may add some thoughts later on what may be 2007 cult classics.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Why do you consider fear to be a killer app for the PS3? Is there some content added to it that wasn't on the PC version? And given the relatively low sales on the PC, what makes you think it can succeed on the Playstation? Just curious

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Well if there's content added to it, then that would give FEAR more of a reason to succeed...plus, a lot of PS3 and console gamers play FPS's, so...yeah, it'll sell. The ten games I would buy (assuming I somehow had all three systems) are: Wii: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Super Smash Bros. Brawl SSX Blur DDR Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Super Mario Galaxy (I guess...looks kinda...meh. I'll probably get Disaster or No More Heroes instead, although I don't expect those to do as well in sales as Mario) 360: Halo 3 Lost Planet PS3: Metal Gear Solid 4 FEAR (unless I upgrade my computer and just get it for that...but then again I might as well just move on to Crysis and the new Half Life 2 games)

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I know it'll sell, but I don't think it will be a major hit.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

I don't consider FEAR a killer app. I said it could be a sleeper. My perception is many PS gamers do not have high end computers. Regardless, I know about 6 people with PS3, and none of them have more than 1 game. The PS3 market needs quality slepper titles until GTA and MGS arrive. In the past three months 360 and Wii have had like 10 sleepers and killer apps (US/Jap no Eur til PS3 is out) Zelda Gears of War Red Steel Lost Planet Wii Sports Wii Play Madden Raving Rabbits Call of Duty 3 Rainbow 6 Sony has just one sleeper... Resistance: Fall of Man PS3 needs titles to sell around 250k so that developers know it is viable short term. 360 is the same way in Japan. Wii is the only system where a developer can sell over 250k of a game in any market right now. This should hold true for months more (until April at least), making Nintendo's goal of 6 million Wii's sold by then reasonable.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Here's a couple more 360 games that are receiving alot of attention... BioShock Half-Life 2: Orange Box Guitar Hero 2 Blue Dragon Forza 2

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

I dunno, I figured it was because PS gamers don't have high end computers that FEAR would be a hit, but I guess not. I'm going to upgrade my computer when I can...at the moment I can play a fair amount of games though. That's one thing about me and quite a few other PC gamers...I suspect that the PS3 won't be as important because we get our graphics goodies from our PC, and leave the fun party and adventure console games to the Wii. PC and Wii go well together for me.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I agree with Ken, as much as I love PC gaming, it pales in comparison to console gaming, especially with the PS2 juggernaut. P gaming is too much of a hassle to the "mainstream hardcore gamers"* crowd. *(not nerdy enough yet knows quite a bit more than the general public when it comes to video games, but not obsessive about it)

gebx said: Here's a couple more 360 games that are receiving alot of attention... BioShock Half-Life 2: Orange Box Guitar Hero 2 Blue Dragon Forza 2
I know Bioshock is but it's been pushed back. Forza 2 I would like to see. Guitar Hero 2 won't be as big as it could be. Blue Dragon did ok in Japan, but I don't see a US market for it. Half-life 2 is not exclusive so I don't know about that. Someone mentioned Lost Planet, but from most reviews that game was not as good as the hype for it. I knew it wouldn't be once I saw the gameplay, don't get me wrong. I loved Dead Rising, but when I played Lost Planet did it not seem like Dead Rising in space with new enemies and more weapons? I don't know. Maybe just me. I see some PS3 names missing, Motorstorm, Lair, Killzone, Heavenly Sword, MGS4, FFXIII.