By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why I think the 360 is the home of the third-parties

Hey guys, there has been alot of speculation of how third-party developers are going to increase there efforts on the Wii due to its high sales. I'm not denying this will happen, but I believe the 360 will remain the third-pary console of choice for developers due to the success of third-party games on that console. Sure the Wii is cheaper to develop for but I believe this will just result in more and more quickly made games by developers who want to get a slice of the Wii cake.

When Epic games said they are not interested in developing for the Wii because they do not see much money in it, many people were saying absurd things like how developers like Epic are going to go bankrupt because the Wii is selling the most hardware, therefore the most games, so any developer not making games for it is missing out on a golden opportunity.

Now I am going to try and show to you why I think developers like Epic Games are right when they say there is less money to be made by third-party developers making games for the Wii.  I am not trying to say negative things about the Wii, but i'm just trying to tell it how it is to me, if you think I am wrong, then please tell me why so i can understand.

Take alook at this...

There are 25 million seller games on the Wii. 14 of those are published by Nintendo and 11 by third-parties.

On the other hand there are 41 million sellers on the Xbox 360. Only 8 of thoese are published by Microsoft and a whopping 33 published by third-parties.

Ok, I know third party developers were caught off guard by the Wii's popularity, but even so, Nintendo games make up the bulk of software sales on the Wii and i doubt that will change. The way I see it, the 360 still seems the best place for third-party developers. This may have been a too simplistic approach to the question, but i do not see how third-party developers will be able to compete with Nintendo games on it's own console.

So, yeh that is probably a too simplistic approach to this, and there's probably loads of factors i havn't taken into consideration so let me know! 

Around the Network

One problem the 360 had a year headstart.

Well... it's very simple. The reason why third party games don't sell very well on the Wii is because they suck and because they don't make publicity.

Why don't developers make a Bioshock or any other game with big budget instead of EA Playground?

I'm 100% sure that a game like Bioshock or any other reconigzed game would sell very good on the Wii.

There are a lot of games that have sold really well on the XBox 360/PS3, and I don't think you will (necessarily) see less support from third parties for these platforms ... Where I expect the XBox 360/PS3 to have problems in the future in terms of third party support is getting publishers to green light any project that is not a Shooter, Sports Game, Racing Game, or Rock-Music game.

What this means is the people who have already bought either system and are really enjoying it will see these system's line-ups getting better and better while people who haven't cared about either platform will continue not to care ...

could also be that micro doesn't really do first party games in comparison to the wii

could also be that it has had a head start of over a year

could also be the fact that companies underestimated the wii

take your pick

Around the Network

Then the Xbox360 is better for third party because it don´t have first party?

It's refreshing to see someone use "I think" and "I believe". Many users here would have simply stated "Why the 360 is the home of the third-parties" or "...but the 360 will remain the third-party console of choice...".

If by 3rd parties you mean EA, Activision and Ubisoft, we can all agree. Just ignore the fact that EA, THQ and Eidos are losing money.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."