By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CNET generation predictions

Viper1 said:
wareagle372 said:
the main reason they believe PS3 will do so well is that by that time, PS3s will be affordable for everyone and they are expected to BOOM!!! If they want this to happen, they need to happen, more good games need to come out for the PS3. They got potential, its just up to them to make it happen. I would rather have PS3 win than the Wii because if they win, Videogaming itself won't collaspe.

Video gaming will come closer to collapsing if PS3 wins due to its budget model for consoles and games.    However, neither winning will realy bring about any collapse in video games.  Don't fall for foolish tabloid trash regarding the future of the industry.

i was being sarcastic. Everyone is saying that so i put as a sarcastic remark to those who believe that.

Around the Network

Concernings "laws of console selling"" ... Well, we all believed that the release of GTA4 would boost consoles. Or at least, boost them above the 15 april NPD numbers, but that also didn't happen. One of the weirdest anamolygies in an otherwise somewhat predictable pattern of sales.
Who's to say a similair anamoly cannot occur here? Granted. The odds are slim. Slimmer then a wet noodle that got squished under Roseanne's ass. But weirder things happen.

I'm still putting my money on the Wii though.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

wareagle372 said:
Viper1 said:
wareagle372 said:
the main reason they believe PS3 will do so well is that by that time, PS3s will be affordable for everyone and they are expected to BOOM!!! If they want this to happen, they need to happen, more good games need to come out for the PS3. They got potential, its just up to them to make it happen. I would rather have PS3 win than the Wii because if they win, Videogaming itself won't collaspe.

Video gaming will come closer to collapsing if PS3 wins due to its budget model for consoles and games.    However, neither winning will realy bring about any collapse in video games.  Don't fall for foolish tabloid trash regarding the future of the industry.

i was being sarcastic. Everyone is saying that so i put as a sarcastic remark to those who believe that.

Sorry, the batteries in my sarcas-o-meter were being recharged last night.

Tuulikk, you can rest your worries.   There is no arbitrary ceiling for Wii sales.  The move to HD has absolutely no bearing on Wii at all.  If it did, PC gaming would have destroyed console gaming years ago.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

I figured it out!

The graph is just the introduction to the opposite sketches!

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
ssj12 said:
CNET was bought about by CBS, fyi guys.

And how does this make this prediction valid?

Cause CBS is run by old people for old people and old people like the Wii?

Around the Network
DOATS1 said:
wow, what data did they use to make those predictions?

Maybe they looked at the PS2, plus anticipated price drops for PS3 making it a much better value at a low price than either of the other consoles, plus the longer-term viability of HD as opposed to SD putting a sort of upper cap on the Wii.  Plus research use of networked PS3 clusters for supercomputer purposes. ;)

The Wii could sell more than they indicate if it becomes truly household after Wii Fit.  Nintendo will have to increase production by a lot though, and the bulk of sales will have to happen relatively soon (within the years indicated on that chart.) 

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
DOATS1 said:
wow, what data did they use to make those predictions?

Maybe they looked at the PS2, plus anticipated price drops for PS3 making it a much better value at a low price than either of the other consoles, plus the longer-term viability of HD as opposed to SD putting a sort of upper cap on the Wii.  Plus research use of networked PS3 clusters for supercomputer purposes. ;)

The Wii could sell more than they indicate if it becomes truly household after Wii Fit.  Nintendo will have to increase production by a lot though, and the bulk of sales will have to happen relatively soon (within the years indicated on that chart.) 

1) The question isn't whether consumers will see greater value in a $300 PS3 than they would see in a $300 Wii, the real question is whether consumers will see a greater value in the $300 PS3 as compared to a $175 to $200 Wii; this really depends more on how many games with general appeal each console has, and how much value people really see in the non gaming functionality.

2) HD may be an important feature in the long term, but optimistic projections had it at a 50% penetration into American households by 2010 assuming the purchasing rates that were established in 2001 through 2006; the adoption may be slower due to the ecconomic downturn, and even if they're met that still leaves over 50% of the market because not all people who own HDTVs will care about HD gaming.

3) I don't really see any reason why the Wii has a limited timeframe while the PS3 wouldn't ...

Maybe he means because its weaker hardware will show its age before the other consoles? That ignores the fact that it ALREADY is clearly weaker and it doesn't seem to matter, but it's a better reason than "HD will take off and then no one will want the non-HD system" which is, I suspect, more likely what he meant.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

"They've branded themselves as the hard-core gaming rig, and I just don't think that the hard-core audience is that big. Thirty or forty million, but not 120 million. I think they're going to keep capturing the hard-core, but they're never going to appeal to family, and Sony's always going to appeal to family." Patcher is an idiot, So PS2/XBOX sold 130+m and only 40m were to hardcoe gamers? this article is absurd, PS3 will most likely edge out the 360 for 2nd at some point in a year or mores time, the 360 isnt gonna suddenly stop selling for no reason, i doubt either console can catch the Wii, PS3 will sell 50-60m lifetime, the 360 will sell 50-55m lifetime IMO and the Wii 100+m.

Predictions Anylasis

360 - Spot on - 40m
PS3 - Way overestimated, it will sell - 65m
Wii - underestimated - 150m