By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - do you think Sony is holding back some titles due to.......

the loss on every PS3 sold?I mean KZ2 developer mentioned that the game would have been ready for this fall in the interview and Sony has asked them to push it back,,,

My question is that does sony really enjoy the sale surge in their hardware now when they are losing $120 on each console sold ?

are they hoping to break even (or even turn abit profit)on PS3 in 09 before the big hiters arrive?

2008 has some nice heavy hitters and the 08 line up is brilliant as is ,,, but most of "heavy" hitters are scheduled for 09.

I personally think that Sony is holding back some titles aand is giving some extra time to the developers to polish the game for 09 in hopes of breaking even before the big surge in hardware sales .

Just to remind everyone :this is just my opinion and it's not a fact.

What do you guys think?do you think the loss on PS3 hardware has some effects on the schedule date for heavy hitters?

I mean do they want the sale surge of big titles while they are loosing money?

Around the Network

i think it's funny that this situation is even brought to discussion

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout

@avalach

care to explain?

Well first I'd like to throw in the phrases "delaystation 3" and "domination delayed."

Having done that, I'll tell you I don't think the delays are deliberate (at least not the big delays). Economies of scale tell us that the more consoles one sells the quicker one can redistribute the losses over a larger production line and bring down average cost.

Although I agree that the strange irony is if Sony sold 3 million consoles in the next week they would lose a tonne of money, the week after that they would already be receiving substantial cost savings on the next run of PS3's due to economies of scale and increased efficiency of production.

Sony (and for that matter Microsoft and Nintendo) want to sell more consoles. The optimal outcome is a large, sustained number of consoles sold that allows them to maximize efficiency and scale economies, and happens sooner rather than later.

I can see what gave you the idea, but I don't agree with it.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

i cant imagine sony is still losing 120 on every console.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Around the Network

weak dollar is a big factor.

I believe Sony is losing between $80 and $100 dollars on the PS3 per unit. The rest of it would be marketing and R&D costs. Though of course, those costs have to be spread across the consoles sold as well, but they are far easier to scale than actual hardware and production costs.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

SpartanFX said:
@avalach

care to explain?

It's funny, the situation the Sony has put themselves into.

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
starcraft said:
Well first I'd like to throw in the phrases "delaystation 3" and "domination delayed."

Having done that, I'll tell you I don't think the delays are deliberate (at least not the big delays). Economies of scale tell us that the more consoles one sells the quicker one can redistribute the losses over a larger production line and bring down average cost.

Although I agree that the strange irony is if Sony sold 3 million consoles in the next week they would lose a tonne of money, the week after that they would already be receiving substantial cost savings on the next run of PS3's due to economies of scale and increased efficiency of production.

Sony (and for that matter Microsoft and Nintendo) want to sell more consoles. The optimal outcome is a large, sustained number of consoles sold that allows them to maximize efficiency and scale economies, and happens sooner rather than later.

I can see what gave you the idea, but I don't agree with it.

I am glad that you got that off your chest ,,but xbox360(Delaybox36) is also getting lots of delays as of late ;).

Software will help but just look at the data ,,,software sale is up 410% YOY  for PS3 and more tah twice PS3 were sold in the last quarter, ,,,Also, Sony reduced the loss per console from 400 to 150.but they still had loss in gaming devision in the last quarter .what do you say about that?

Trust me, Sony would rather lose $120 per console sold to consumers than lose $520 on every PS3 that collects dust in warehouses or retail shelves. But just like Starcraft said, I don't think they're delaying games on purpose. If it were Sony's choice, they'd crank out as many quality titles as possible so they wouldn't have to drop the price to keep up with competition. Regardless of the delays, (which are not ALL from first parties, or on the PS3 for that matter) Sony's first and second party titles have never been as good or robust as this current generation.