By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kingdom Hearts 3, Dragon Quest X, Final Fantasy XIV

Darc Requiem said:
Maverick Hunter Z said:
Darc Requiem said:
Soriku stop it man. Just stop it. Of course Sony is making a PS4. Sony has spent too much time and money building SCE to just toss it by the wayside at the first sign of trouble.

But Sony is not making money from the venture anymore, wouldn't it just be more feasable for them to cut their losses and move to PC or Third party development? Don't know if it will happen or not, but nothing is garanteed five-six years down the road in gaming. Nothing.

I don't know if there is any merit to Soriku's confidence either, but the fact they've also announced a PS5-6 just futhers the point of how little credit can be given to their claims about future consoles at this early point. That's like announcing the Wii during the hay day of the SNES.

SCE has carried Sony as a company up until recently. Sony took their eye off the ball with PS3. They were more concerned with pushing Cell and Blu-Ray than they were with developing a winning game console. After out selling their competitors at near a 3 to 1 clip (PS brand vs. Every other console brand) over th past 13 years, It would make little sense to pack it in now.

Besides going third party isn't easy profit making move it is always made out to be. Sega is a prime example of this. As a first party hardware maker, a company provides a single platform for fans of its software. Going third party splinters that fan base. With Sony gone, you'd have two companies with divergent philosphies in Microsoft and Nintendo. So being a multiplatform developer would more difficult. Choosing the wrong company to put the bulk of their support behind could cause Sony further financial hardship. Remaining a hardware maker would give Sony more control over their destiny. If Nintendo can regain the number one position in the industry after a 13 year decline, Sony can certainly due the same after only one generation of decline.

I suppose, but if Blu-Ray becomes an adequate replacement venture, then I see no problem in them realizing the PlayStation lineage may be unsalvageable. Money problems could also force them to abandon the PlayStation 3 as well but that of course is anyone's guess. Oddly enough, it seems all of Sony's other divisions are now the one's making money and the Gaming Division (which has never been as big an asset to Sony as many would like to think) is not, in fact, the Gaming Division is now a liability, at best only justified by Blu-Ray. But even Dreamcast was able to linger for a little under three years, so even if Sony does decide to drop the PlayStation, we won't know for a while, and probably won't see it comming with any certainty until its already upon us.

Proud Owner Of: Wii, DS, PSP, Xbox 360 (Brother owns PS3 & PS2)

Things that have changed since the last Generation of Gaming:

- Nintendo has shown us you can have the best selling console of all time with virtually no games for it.

- Graphics suddenly matter to Sony fans but Reverse Compatibility and Dual shock oddly enough don’t.

- Kiddy Crap is trendy with Hardcore gamers now that it’s no longer Nintendo’s “thing” (Viva Piñata, Little Big Planet, Banjo Kazooie 3, LBP)

- Third Party Developers are now essentially the equivalent of Video Game street pimps.

- Gimmicks are no longer fads (Wii-mote)... Well, not all Gimmicks (PS-Eye)

Around the Network

It's interesting that people are dismissing FFXI as a real FF game when talking about why FFXIV won't come out this generation, because there's a pretty good chance FFXIV is going to be an MMORPG as well, the direct successor to FFXI.

Square themselves claim they are going to build off the XIII universe for 10 years (which i'm sure is just as true as the PS3's 10 year life cycle), but it does show that they don't have any intention of making a new primary FF game this generation.

How do you figure? They've been milking the FFVII universe for 10 years, and it sure hasn't stopped the main-series games from coming out. It would be an utterly ridiculous business move to stop production on one of the most hyped and profitable franchises in the world to focus on a bunch of quick-buck spinoffs.

Whatever form XIV takes, I consider it a given that it will be out this generation. SE is a large company, and they're always going to be frantically working on the next entry in the series. Without a doubt, FFXIV is in the planning stages, and probably has been since before XIII was even announced. With the rise in development costs and times, there might not be three games this generation, but I've still got a hunch they'll pull that off, too.

For the original topic, I don't see the FF main series ever ending up on Wii, unless there was some disaster that completely collapsed both PS3 and 360. The reason is simply that FF is Square's flagship franchise, and it's the one they use to constantly push the technical limits of what's possible. No, it's not always on the most powerful platform, but there's a huge difference between the PS2-XBOX gap and the Wii-PS3 gap -- especially when going to Wii would mean a huge technical step backward from what had already been achieved with XIII. I really don't think they'd consider that.

So where will it end up? If it's another MMORPG, it's pretty certain that it'll be spread over PS3, 360, and PC again. If it's a single-player, it's too early to call. My bet is that it'll go wherever XIII goes in the end, meaning that if they find it necessary to eventually port XIII to 360/PC, they're sure to do that with XIV as well (barring some sort of new exclusivity deal with Sony). Otherwise it'll be PS3 exclusive.

KH seems like a toss-up. I could see it ending up on any of the consoles. If statements from SE are to be believed, it probably isn't in development for PS3 right now. The people predicting a split into several different KH games for different consoles might be onto something.

DQ I don't know or care enough about to predict. Wii seems to be a no-brainer.

Soriku, what part of "Stop bumping topics" don't you understand?

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

I don't know why anyone is talking about FFXIV. Square said they are not even interested in making the game for 10yrs and are going to concentrate of the FFXIII series. The Wii won't be around in 10yrs, definitely not.

Dragon Quest X will be on the Wii, anyone thinking otherwise is delusional.

Kingdom Hearts 3 (Not named that, but anyway) will most certainly be on the PS3. Nomura talked about creating the most stunning visual graphics, and they are not attainable on the Wii.

I definitely don't see the 360 getting any main franchise from S-E exclusive. Won't happen.

Soriku, you are a Nintendo optimist, I will give you that. I must admit that I don't read half your posts, but when I do read them I wish I didn't.

Around the Network

I think i have already commented on this thread but what the hell.

FinalFantasyXIV:Either the very end of this gen or next gen(like FFXII was at the very end of last gen)on PS3/4.

DragonQuestX:Well DQIX went to DS so this could either go to Wii or DS depending on how DQIX sells.

KingdomHearts3:Wii,PS3 or DS this depends on alot of things really. 1.When Nomura wants to start making it or if he wants to finish FFversusXIII first which by then,which will be around the end of 08 start of 09,the PS3 userbase might be about 15-20million,Wii 20-25million so they a will both be looking quite nice to S-E by then and then depends on whether they want a graphic heavy game(FFXIII comes to mind) or if they want to use the Wiimote either way the DS will get a spinoff and the console will get a spinoff so fun for everyone.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

jhlennon1 said:
I don't know why anyone is talking about FFXIV. Square said they are not even interested in making the game for 10yrs and are going to concentrate of the FFXIII series. The Wii won't be around in 10yrs, definitely not.

Dragon Quest X will be on the Wii, anyone thinking otherwise is delusional.

Kingdom Hearts 3 (Not named that, but anyway) will most certainly be on the PS3. Nomura talked about creating the most stunning visual graphics, and they are not attainable on the Wii.

I definitely don't see the 360 getting any main franchise from S-E exclusive. Won't happen.

It can happen if some stuff occur, and i only see it if things occur

1. Playstation sales dont pick up, very low user base (square wants to sell SELL SELL!)

2. RPGS like lost odyssey etc do well on 360, square will see that people will buy rpgs on 360 so they are more likely to add them

3. Last remnant does well on 360 in the spring they will be more likely to port

Theres a few other things but i wont go into detail, and even with this not a very high chance. BUt you cant say it wont ever happen, cause it can and well it possibly might ( that is if its possible for 360)

In all it just depends on how much it can sell on ps3.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

Final Fantasy XIII needs to do well for Sony to have any further Square Enix support. That pretty much goes without saying, I think that is the reason Sony are rushing games like Gran Turismo 5 and co to release before FFXIII to increase the user base and help ensure sales.

What Sony really needs in Japan right now is a price drop. Expensive system + 1 good game, rest crap = Crap sales.

Sony have a lot of games coming out that Japan will buy, but they need to get the price sorted. The PS3's problem is that it is just too expensive.

FinalFantasy main series on the X360 in my books that counts as blasphemy.

/this is NOT sarcasm.

Sorry if i offend anyone but FFXI only went to X360 because of Live® and it didnt sell very well under 1million which is very strange for FF that consistenly sells more than 2million units on the main series(except III which was only released in JPN). The Last Remnant is basicly a crash course test for S-E on the X360 against PS3 to see which one wants JRPG's more which will most likely be PS3 because it has a much better userbase in JPN and thats where JRPG's thrive.FFXIII cant go to X360 very easily because of the WhiteEngine designed to optimize the PS3 CELL.If FFXIV is using the UE3 then it will probably end up on the X360 but if not then it wont go to X360.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Last Remnant is a big test for the 360. I think it will sell well for the PS3 in Japan, but in the US I am not so sure. I think the US will buy the 360 version, but they are not big on JRPG's so it won't be big sale numbers.

Either way, I expect the PS3 version of Last Remnant to easily sell the most because of the Japan support.