By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo best suited to making a console MMO?

they would have to redo the friends code system....other wise it has epic levels of fail

Around the Network

Nintendo would never develop a MMO on Wii because it is not advanced enough for their tastes. However I smell that Nintendo will advertise their next console as the most online friendly console ever seen.

The milions of "casuals" they aim at now are currently having their first experiences with the internet. When people go online for their first time they go for chat, websites etc and then they may look for some online games.

Going to open a thread about Wii Fit island now because that island created quite a few questions in my mind.

Problem is, WoW is just a highly polished and streamlined EQ clone in most respects.  It was hardly a new design when it came out.

IF Nintendo were to do this, I have a feeling it would be one of the few MMO's that wouldn't be heavily combat oriented and probably wouldn't have a big raid game.  Those two markets are cornered.  The more social MMO experience has been tried, but no one has REALLY succeeded at it yet.  That's probably where Nintendo would focus.  Not every MMO player likes 50 hours of whacking stuff with sticks or participating in huge dungeon raids after all.  Heck, a LOT of current MMO players and people who were once MMO players constantly complain about such things.

I could very likely see Nintendo develope an MMO however to many gamers horror I think that the MMO would likely be a Mii MMO. Based ouround user created Mii's I think the Nintendo developed MMO would likely work at interaction over combat and likely work somewhat like an online world compared to ours. I know they already exist games where you buy online realistate , clubs and a virtual world.

If Nintendo goes into the MMO space I think it will likely use the Mii brand to bring it. I'd bet a Mii MMO will be released before too long. Nintendo already has developed various other channels and I think a virtual online world will be one of their next steps in bringing the globe together.

That being said I can't see Nintendo turning any of its major franchises into MMO's FireEmblem , Zelda , Pokemon. Though I think a Zelda spin-off MMO taking place in Hyrule as a Hyrulian Knight or enemy of Hyrule would be an amazing idea. But I still don't see Nintendo going that route.

If Nintendo goes MMO, I think Mii is likely the first brand Nintendo will use to go MMO then maybe a new IP!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

FaithRaven said:
dib8rman said:
last time I checked there was no voice chat in WoW...

You must have checked it long time ago because WoW has voice chat for quite a while. In the days when WoW had no voice chat people were still communiting by voice using 3rd party software like Ventrillo.

However a console MMO really NEEDS voice chat compared to a PC MMO where you can go without because you know ... last time I checked consoles had no keyboard.

And WoW being surpassed by a MMO not developed by Blizzard  has less chances of happening than PS3 passing Wii in sales, which I find impossible :)

Ahh I see; here let me explain - first off two can play the retard rodeo just fine so let me get a ride: You must of checked a long time ago because Unreal Torny 3 can be played with a keyboard and mouce on the PS3, and even before that mmo's on the PS2 like monster hunter and PSU used keyboard inputs for chating and some short cut purposes. I find your blatant prejudices delectable but as I'm full from the nice bull I just ate (Yea sorry no more rodeo go find a new bull and you got yourself a game) I'm going to just enjoy another thread filled with more jovial conspiracys that can float on a nimbus of just it's truths.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network
Joelcool7 said:

That being said I can't see Nintendo turning any of its major franchises into MMO's FireEmblem , Zelda , Pokemon. Though I think a Zelda spin-off MMO taking place in Hyrule as a Hyrulian Knight or enemy of Hyrule would be an amazing idea. But I still don't see Nintendo going that route.

If Nintendo goes MMO, I think Mii is likely the first brand Nintendo will use to go MMO then maybe a new IP!

Actually, they DO have one IP that is close to screaming for MMOification.  Animal Crossing....

I'd imagine if they did it the game would be split into two sections:

Your town... You control who has access to it and you can decorate it how you wish, just like the previous installments

Public areas(parks, larger cities, etc.)  You can't modify them, but you can talk to other players, go on quests to catch bugs/fish, find items not available in your or your friends towns, partcipate in contests and such.

Ail said:

That was true 10 years ago..

These days noone doing any kind of raiding would ever consider doing so without voice chat.

When a guild gets created it gets a ventrilo server before it even gets a web site most of the time...

Anyway I'm sure some day something will dethrone WoW. All I'm saying is that I doubt it will be on a console.

WoW rocks because players have rewritten any single feature of the game they don't like... You can't do that on a console...

This is my UI, pretty much everything you see on it aside from the chat box at the bottom doesn't ship with Wow.( I know can't see much, stupid resize...)

It's all developped by the modding community..

2.5 years as the default priest authority for a cutting edge raid guild. I know plenty about the WoW raid game. Voice chat helps. Voice chat is not necessary. I have proven it time and time again by refusing to endure the idiocy that was my guilds Vent channel for the entire time it existed. Clever use of macros, and learning how to type within spell cast times makes everything a cake walk. Of course I also used barely more than the base UI to boot. A few mods that made boss fights a thousand times easier sure, but that was maybe 3-4 total. I am not quite the norm though admittedly.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Yea but the thing is a animal crossing game wouldnt even be able to attract the same crowd as WoW.

The point is to nail the Furcadia group - then keep going around to those who quit mmo's period - then those who never thought of a mmo being in their daily routine, then capture the current mmo players and finally move them to WoW level play all while stll hitting the rest of those points.

A smart person can figure that out but if you look at the sheer numbers then a poke'mon would be the optimal choice as your talking about generations of gamers that grew up on poke'mon and became disinterested with the game also.

Listen to any of them you find that they left the franchise with lingering remorse mainly because the series wasn't progressing.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

I think console MMO's would be a mistake. Consoles are out for the main reason of playing games. Most PC's are sold for business purposes or for school. MMO players strike me as players who play one game way more than others(if not exclusively). Bearing that in mind, 10 million WoW players are no skin off the PC's back, as it's just a miniscule percentage of the install base and WoW wouldn't hurt the sales off some office app or Windows or whatever. On a console, though, it might be a different story. If a WoW level MMO were to come to a console it might have an adverse effect on the sales of other games should the level of player interest reach those levels. I'm not saying it would necessarily kill a console, but it wouldn't be a welcome development for third party game companies trying to sell games. Or maybe I'm overestimating their drawing power?

A Pokemon MMO would rock on so many levels.