By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game reviews have gone to hell!

allthehoneys said:
My favorite was Gamespot giving Twilight Princess a low score because it was too much Zelda-like gameplay. IMO, they should only give the game to reviewers who have a genuine interest in the game. It's like handing a racing game to someone who never plays them because they're not their thing, and then asking that person to do a review of it. No, Gamespot lets a 360 addict (if you watched any of his blogs) very vocal about his distaste for the Wii review its largest, most acclaimed launch title.

A lot of cons Gamespot likes to list for disliking a game are ridiculous, it's like they're grasping at straws trying to find reasons to dislike a game. Rather than going into it just looking to be entertained, they want the game to blow them too.
8.8 is not a low score, just not high enough

Around the Network
Riachu said:
allthehoneys said:
My favorite was Gamespot giving Twilight Princess a low score because it was too much Zelda-like gameplay. IMO, they should only give the game to reviewers who have a genuine interest in the game. It's like handing a racing game to someone who never plays them because they're not their thing, and then asking that person to do a review of it. No, Gamespot lets a 360 addict (if you watched any of his blogs) very vocal about his distaste for the Wii review its largest, most acclaimed launch title.

A lot of cons Gamespot likes to list for disliking a game are ridiculous, it's like they're grasping at straws trying to find reasons to dislike a game. Rather than going into it just looking to be entertained, they want the game to blow them too.
8.8 is not a low score, just not high enough

Relatively speaking of course.  :)

sc94597 said:
shio said:
how can you be pissed at MP3 getting 8.5? You said it's a great game, and 8-8.5 is a score for very good/great games.

Look at it's average score on gamerankings. It's obviously AAA if every other large site gave it low 90s to 100s.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/928517.asp The game deserved alot more than a 8.5. 

No. It's 89.9. Not 9.0. Just missed the mark, so it's not an AAA. Sorry. I only play 9.0+ now. Why play 80's when you can play 90's? There's far too many 90's, to justify the 80's.

I'm kidding. I'm not that serious. But technically, according to GameRankings, it's no AAA.

It's all about the 90's now. 90's and up. Those games define consoles.

Most of the time if I play 10+ hours of a game and then go read reviews, I feel like the reviewers played it less than me.

So many reviewers miss features and elements of game play.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

I think game review sites have been the same for the past 10 years... All give a decent review scores (Except GameSpot)

Some are over the top, some are dead on, but its been like this for years

I think Fuzion Frenzy was one of the funnest games ive played, but have you seen the Reviews on it? I'm not saying it diserves better, but atleast I know im the minority here

I don't know if reviewers have generally gotten worse or more biased but Gamespot definitely has lost the plot a little.

I've got a few sources that i consistently look at for reviews as i find their tastes fairly consistently fall in line with mine. I also tend to go to Gamerankings and Metacritic and pick the bottom couple of reviews and see if they have any serious constructive criticism or game-breaking flaws which i think i might have a problem with.

It's 10 out of 10 for any hyped game now regardless of its faults. A game shouldn't have entire videos dedicated to its glitches if it is supposed to be 10 out of 10.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

fuzion frenzy hahahhaha i remember that game, i think it sucked ass, but then again there was that one fun mini game were you had to jump over ledges or bow under.

if the rating is from 0 - 10, then shouldn't all the scale be used?

Now when a game is scored a 10 out of 10, that doesn't mean it's perfect, it simply means that the game has significantly improved as a whole to the point of being above and beyond what other games have done in it's genre to become the best that that genre has to offer at the time of it's release.