By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Metal Gear Solid 4 sell more than halo 3 in first week sales?

colonelstubbs said:
I cant believe people are only predicting 1 million first WEEK!!!!

Indeed.

Region Japan America OthersTotal
Total Sales0.86m1.42m1.69m3.97m
Week 1493,827183,805411,1001,088,732

I lot more hype for this one, too.  We'll see.

Around the Network

@majin-Tenshinsan )sorry if spelt wrong)

well FFX had a 3 million opening on a 5 million PS3 install base at the time...

PS3 will be around 25 million

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

@ windbane, thats for MGS3 the lowest selling of the 3d games...what about 1 or 2? 4 is the first on the ps3, so should sell like the first on the ps1 and the first on the ps2 (with 3 being the second on the ps2)

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Only if hell freezes over on June 12

ant belecolonelstubbs said:
I cant believe people are only predicting 1 million first WEEK!!!!

This has been hyped for 3 years, the hype has NEVER been dissapated by bad vibes or anything, nothing but positive reviews have come from people who have played, every games magazine is covering it as a huge event, some people have bought the 3 previous 3D installments, the series gets universally brilliant reviews...

NO it will not surpass Halo 3 in launch week, because Americans fell over themsleves to buy a game that was basically a shorter and slightly better looking version of Halo 2.

HOWEVER 1 million 1st week sales would be a blow to Konami, who want that figure on day 1, and i say they will get 2 million first week, or as near as dammit.

Go Snake!

I can't believe that you think it will see to the masses.

MGS has alwaysbeen a series that caters more to the core gamer and japanophile segment of the market. The first was the closest to mainstream success the series has ever seen, largly because of its innovative stealth gameplay, flashy cutscenes and the most acessablestory of the Solid series. Since then its gone away from this; MGS2 turned awy many with its incomprehensible story and Raiden. 3 was something of a return to form, but 2 had already turned many away from the series.

Personally, I expect 4m lifetime at the most, and probably closer to 3m. MGS2 did a lot of damage to the franchise and drove away the less hardcore fans. Additionally the PS3 has a fairly small install base, and will never hit the same heights as the PS2. While this doesn't have a real impact on the number of core MGs fans who will pick up the title, it does reduce the number of more casual gamers who could potentially pick up MGS4 because they like stealth games, or have heard it mentioned in magazines

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

I've said this about 10000 times now: there are many people with ridiculously inflated notions of the appeal of Metal Gear Solid.

It's kind of like going to a Star Trek convention: when you're there, it seems like Star Trek is incredibly popular and everyone loves it, but then you go back to reality and Star Trek shows haven't made good ratings in years and practically no one cares about them anymore, in a larger sense. There are still a lot of people who care about MGS, but the same overestimation of fan base applies. 

In other words, it's hard to keep Metal Gear in perspective, because the internet forum crowd is so rabid about this franchise. But it's not nearly as big as Halo, and recent comparisons to GTA (lol) should be laughed out of court. It's a big game. A lot of people like it. We should leave it at that. I expect it to sell about as well as Mario Party 8, which would be an improvement for the series and would show that the fanbase is still around. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Not a chance in hell.

It is going to sale a lot but not as much as Halo 3

Globaly , no chance .

Unlikely but possible in europe
Porbable in japan
LOL in america

Really Sony should have been marketing and promoting MGS4 alot more , they haven't/

Bodhesatva said:

I've said this about 10000 times now: there are many people with ridiculously inflated notions of the appeal of Metal Gear Solid.

It's kind of like going to a Star Trek convention: when you're there, it seems like Star Trek is incredibly popular and everyone loves it, but then you go back to reality and Star Trek shows haven't made good ratings in years and practically no one cares about them anymore, in a larger sense. There are still a lot of people who care about MGS, but the same overestimation of fan base applies.

In other words, it's hard to keep Metal Gear in perspective, because the internet forum crowd is so rabid about this franchise. But it's not nearly as big as Halo, and recent comparisons to GTA (lol) should be laughed out of court. It's a big game. A lot of people like it. We should leave it at that. I expect it to sell about as well as Mario Party 8, which would be an improvement for the series and would show that the fanbase is still around.

You always underestimate MGS.  The comparisons to GTA were PS3 version only.