By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Metal Gear Solid 4 sell more than halo 3 in first week sales?

I hope so, it would be brilliant for the PS3 (and hopefully encourage MGS5 from konami) but its a 50/50 split over whether it will

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network

I say first week will only be slightly higher than 1 million, maybe 1.2 - 1.5 range.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Seems highly unlikely to me.

Personally, I'd say GTA4 was the most anticipated game this year for most. Sure, MGS5 is more anticipated by me, but I reckon I'm probably not representative of the majority here.

:)

I hope not. MGS is a series for intelligent people, when the mainstream get their hands on its they complain out of frustration because they cannot comprehend the philosophy of the storyline. MGS doesnt need the idiotic mainstream.

Some people are going to be very disappointed if these are their expectations.

Around the Network

actually rocketpig halo sold 3 million copies the first week. Besides you may not agree with me but someone told me that the halo 3 storyline was short and the online was great. Don't get me wrong  halo 3 was a great game but one day another game will surpass its sales. They have been hyping metal Gear solid 4 for 3 years now. Like i said eventually one day a game might surpass halo 3's sales and that day just might come on 6.12.2008.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

I say yes.

Because I'm a rebel.

WW, it will probably sell about 1m on Day 1, which was the number passed around by Konami as the number of units they'd have to move to make MGS4 profitable.

I don't think that's too bold of an estimate.

As for outselling Halo 3, no. Smaller install base at the time of launch, and unlikely to enjoy the same attach rate as Halo.

Barring any bizarre existence of hundreds of thousands of PS2 owners holding out on a purchase of a PS3 specifically for the release of MGS4, I don't see it happening.

Hardware will see a significant bump during 1st week sales, but not enough to be comparable with Halo.

i like the metal gear solid series but the game has no chance in hell to sell that many copies in one week. wishful thinking though.

Proud Owner of all 3 current-gen systems

Currently Playing:
SSBB, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, MKWii, GTA IV (360), MGS4, DQIV, Jeanne d'Arc, FFVII: Crisis Core, Chrono Trigger (PSX)

Mario Kart FC: 4897-6731-4375
SSBB FC: 1504-5406-8515
Wii Friends Code: 1020-2726-1535-3964

XBL:
PhatLaosBoi
PSN: PhatLaosBoi

Halo 3 sold approximately 3.7-3.8 million copies in its first week.

MGS4 will have a big launch, but there is absolutely no chance it will beat Halo 3's first week.