By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Metal Gear is confusing me.......

The MGS Essential Collection has the original MGS, the Substance version of MGS2, and the Subsistence version of MGS3. However, it does not come with the second disc of MGS3, which contained MG 1/2 and MGO.

This collection is ALL you need to get into MGS.  And it's only $30.

Around the Network
Sicilian. said:

If you want to play them in order

Metal Gear Solid 3 -------------Playstation 2

Metal Gear Solid: Po-----------PSP

Metal Gear 1--------------------NES/ Or Packed With MGS 3 Substience

Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake-----NES/ Or Packed With MGS 3 Substience

Metal Gear Solid 1--------------PSONE/GAMECUBE----i'd say go with gamecube

Metal Gear Solid 2-------------PS2

Metal Gear Solid 4-------------PS3

If you are just asking which is better between Metal Gear Solid 3 and 2. Well then MGS 3 blows 2 out of the water in every aspect

If your talking about the two versions of each game Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance and Metal Gear Solid 3: Substanice (spelling) are the better versions

No. Always play games in the order they were released. Same with movies and books. The surprises at the end of the games will not be as effective if you play them out of order.

Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2 is unneccesary if you play MGS1 first and read the back story from there.

Then MGS2.

MGS3.

Portable Ops.

Cheapest option is going with MGS: Essential Collection for $30 as others have said.

If you have a GC (or Wii), Twin Snakes (aka MGS1) has updated graphics and controls from MGS2. Then MGS2: Substance, then MGS3: Subsistence. But since this would cost a lot more (and some people here think Twin Snakes is overdone), just get the $30 Collection. That's what it's there for.

disolitude said:
Get MGS:Twin Snakes remake for gamecube first of all. Then play MGS3 substenence... 2 you can skip all together.

Do NOT buy Twin Snakes on the GC. The majority of MGS fans will tell you, the game is broken, far too easy and Snake is way out of character in the cutscenes. If you plan to play MGS4, you really should play MGS2. It's not a BAD game, it's just not as good as 1 and 3 but there are many story elements that are crucial in MGS2 since MGS4 would be the direct sequel to MGS2.

Get the esential collection, it's the best way to play through the MGS franchise.

Portable Ops is not needed, but still a good game in it's own rights.

Sicilian. said:

Then your metal gear solid fans dont know what they are talking about. IMO they are the second best cutscenes in all the games behind MGS3. The only people that dont like the twin snakes are ones that dont like nintendo or dont own a gamecube....

I owned a gamecube and I could easily say that MGS twin snakes was not as good as MGS1. It's almost as if John Woo directed the cutscenes and confused Snake with the cyber ninja.