By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Kwaad's Wii harshness.

Kwaad and everyone else arguing about the higher rated-ness of games available for a particular system are retarded, including the Wii defenders. All of you. Nobody cares. Fact: Wii has an attach rate of 5.4 games per system even with "mediocre games", not counting Wii Sports in NA and Europe. PS3, a Playstation branded system that sold 100M+ units with many "anticipated titles" and a higher rated early game library is only doing a 2.9.

Around the Network

vanguardian1 said: hanafuda - Just look at the release schedule right through until the end of April. SSX Blur ** Scarface Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 Bust-A-Move Bash! Cooking Mama: Cook-Off ** Super Paper Mario (AAA title) * Wii Play * Sonic and the Secret Rings ** Prince of Persia : Rival Swords ** I think there are 1 or 2 more, but I can't recall anything else at the moment. Personally I see 2 *must-get and 4 **rent-first-then-decide titles in there. :)
I guarantee Super Paper Mario will be a mess. It is another game that started out for the GC, then got canned so they could tag Wii controls on it, and cater it to the under 8s. I live in Japan and have played Wii Play. It really isn't very exciting at all. Cooking Mama just came out in Japan, and the Famitsu review basically said it was aimed at kids. I really can't see this selling, let alone be worth buying. Prince Of Persia? Dunno, could be decent, but doesn't seem like a big title to me. Have to admit that I know nothing about it though. Someone else mentioned Dewy's Adventure. It is just a PS2 platformer with Wii controls and a visual style ripped off from the GC's Homeland. Could be decent enough. Certainly looks more promising that most of the other stuff I see coming out. As for No More Heroes (another game with no release date yet), I love Killer 7, and was really looking forward to this, until I saw Famitsu's preview, and found out it is some lame Wiimote slashathon.

PSN - hanafuda

vanguardian1 said: Grand Turismo 5 - The biggest exclusive title for the PS3, no doubt. Actually has the potential to backfire unless the game is substantially better than the "free" GT game that Sony put out for the PS3 in December. Unlikely, I admit, but a possibility that should be considered.
I'm not sure I understand this comment, but I just came off a session of GT HD Concept, and hooked up to the GT Force Pro it is nothing short of superb GT5 will own me.

PSN - hanafuda

I guarantee Super Paper Mario will be a mess. It is another game that started out for the GC, then got canned so they could tag Wii controls on it, and cater it to the under 8s.
Actually, it'll cater to more players than Super Mario 64 / Sunshine, simply because many older gamers feel that mario "lost it's touch" with the 3d era. Look at New Super Mario Brothers DS. Super Paper Mario will be for those who prefer more of a classic mario game feel that appealed to a wider audience as well as those who enjoyed the previous Paper Mario games (which were excellent). Galaxy offers those who enjoy the big 3d platforming marios. I enjoy both personally. And as for worrying about a crappy port, this is Nintendo we're talking about here, not Ubisoft. ;)
I live in Japan and have played Wii Play. It really isn't very exciting at all.
I understand that perfectly well, as do many people, but that doesn't change the fact that it's essentially a small minigame collection for $10, and if you don't have enough wiimotes yet, it's a bargain for a lot of people. I'm sure I'll enjoy at least 3 of those games every so often, that's not such a bad deal. Plus a good game of pool will be enjoyed by more than myself. ;)
Cooking Mama just came out in Japan, and the Famitsu review basically said it was aimed at kids. I really can't see this selling, let alone be worth buying.
I guess I come at a different perspective, frozen pizzas and canned microwavable goods are the limit of my cooking skills. It's a title aimed kids, casual gamers and non-gamers, not serious gamers, give it some credit, you wouldn't offer Halo to most grandparents now, would you? ;)
Prince Of Persia? Dunno, could be decent, but doesn't seem like a big title to me. Have to admit that I know nothing about it though.
Odds are it won't be very interesting actually, it's a port of Prince of Persia : Two Swords or something that came out 2-3 years ago methinks. A lot of people have never played it and if Ubi does the controls correctly for once, it may be worth some people's attention.
Someone else mentioned Dewy's Adventure. It is just a PS2 platformer with Wii controls and a visual style ripped off from the GC's Homeland. Could be decent enough. Certainly looks more promising that most of the other stuff I see coming out.
For me this is the 3rd 3d-platformer that's really caught my attention since Mario Galaxy, only other platformer that I've really enjoyed is Mario Sunshine (yes I love it, far better IMHO than Mario 64). And why is it just a PS2 platformer? The visuals are already better than any platformer the PS2 had. And as for the controller, you can do almost all of the Wii games with a conventional controller (zelda still controls better on wii I think), but most all of the exclusives would be much harder to control with a gamepad only, especially to those who aren't serious gamers. Either that or the game's controls would lose a considerate amount of functionality.
As for No More Heroes (another game with no release date yet), I love Killer 7, and was really looking forward to this, until I saw Famitsu's preview, and found out it is some lame Wiimote slashathon.
Link please? I haven't read anything of the sort. :) All I've heard is something about a high-medium-low type of battle system with the wiimote, that don't tell me much of anything. ;)
I'm not sure I understand this comment, but I just came off a session of GT HD Concept, and hooked up to the GT Force Pro it is nothing short of superb. GT5 will own me.
Here's my question to you. If it's not moderately-significantly better than your free Grand Turismo game, what reason do you have to buy the new one? I understand it's unlikely, but it is still a possibility worth mentioning, nothing more.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Sintinel said: So you're a troll...we get it. You can shut up now. Thanks. Signed, Everyone.

Now Loading... Please Wait!

Around the Network

vanguardian1 said: Actually, it'll cater to more players than Super Mario 64 / Sunshine, simply because many older gamers feel that mario "lost it's touch" with the 3d era. Look at New Super Mario Brothers DS. Super Paper Mario will be for those who prefer more of a classic mario game feel that appealed to a wider audience as well as those who enjoyed the previous Paper Mario games (which were excellent).
Well, NSMB may have sold well, but most gamers thought it was weak from what I have seen. No release date yet for this one.
vanguardian1 said:I understand that perfectly well, as do many people, but that doesn't change the fact that it's essentially a small minigame collection for $10, and if you don't have enough wiimotes yet, it's a bargain for a lot of people. I'm sure I'll enjoy at least 3 of those games every so often, that's not such a bad deal. Plus a good game of pool will be enjoyed by more than myself. ;)
I have kinda lost track of what we are discussing here, but, er, yeah, this will probably sell well in the US. Personally speaking though, I wouldn't bother. Also, why the delay? Everyone else has this. The main reason to get this is to grab another controller at launch. That time has passed.
vanguardian1 said: Cooking Mama just came out in Japan, and the Famitsu review basically said it was aimed at kids. I really can't see this selling, let alone be worth buying. I guess I come at a different perspective, frozen pizzas and canned microwavable goods are the limit of my cooking skills. It's a title aimed kids, casual gamers and non-gamers, not serious gamers, give it some credit, you wouldn't offer Halo to most grandparents now, would you? ;)
Sure, this is a mildly interesting idea, but does it make a good game? Not according to Famitsu. I can't see this selling at all, not even chance of a sleeper hit.
vanguardian1 said: For me this is the 3rd 3d-platformer that's really caught my attention since Mario Galaxy, only other platformer that I've really enjoyed is Mario Sunshine (yes I love it, far better IMHO than Mario 64). And why is it just a PS2 platformer? The visuals are already better than any platformer the PS2 had. And as for the controller, you can do almost all of the Wii games with a conventional controller (zelda still controls better on wii I think), but most all of the exclusives would be much harder to control with a gamepad only, especially to those who aren't serious gamers. Either that or the game's controls would lose a considerate amount of functionality.
Come on, any last gen system could handle this. As I mentioned, the visuals look ripped from the Gamecube's Homeland. It is another game designed around the Wiimote, and not designed around ideas for games. This is the main reason I think the Wii is going to come grinding to a halt before the end of 2007.
vanguardian1 said: Link please? I haven't read anything of the sort. :) All I've heard is something about a high-medium-low type of battle system with the wiimote, that don't tell me much of anything. ;)
There was a 5 page preview in a Famitsu a few weeks back. Put me right off the game. You have to use your laser sword thing to beat other assassins in hand to hand combat. When the charge on your sword runs out, you have to run off and shake the Wiimote to charge the 'battery' back up again.
vanguardian1 said: Here's my question to you. If it's not moderately-significantly better than your free Grand Turismo game, what reason do you have to buy the new one? I understand it's unlikely, but it is still a possibility worth mentioning, nothing more.
I don't understand how you define, 'better'. The reason I will have to buy GT5 is a ton of cars, courses, online play, new and improved photo mode, and probably more on top of that. I am a huge GT fan

PSN - hanafuda

Well, NSMB may have sold well, but most gamers thought it was weak from what I have seen. No release date yet for this one.
The only significant complaint about New Super Mario Brothers I've heard from people and reviews was that it was too short, quite a few people have mentioned that, but that's about it.
I have kinda lost track of what we are discussing here, but, er, yeah, this will probably sell well in the US. Personally speaking though, I wouldn't bother. Also, why the delay? Everyone else has this. The main reason to get this is to grab another controller at launch. That time has passed.
Well, quite a lot of people are still looking for extra controllers from what I keep hearing, in both real life and online. For the record I have 3 wiimotes and 2 nunchucks, I put off getting wiimote #4 when I heard about Wii Play, and my decision hasn't had a reason to change yet. Heck, the pool game alone for $10 will probably be a better investment than the $8 I put into Dungeon Master. ;_; I think the delays was to spread out the games, the U.S. got Excite Truck on launch, I know europe didn't (I don't think they have it yet either), I think Japan didn't get a game we got on lauch day either, but I can't recall what it was.
Cooking Mama - Sure, this is a mildly interesting idea, but does it make a good game? Not according to Famitsu. I can't see this selling at all, not even chance of a sleeper hit.
We should know by now we can't exactly predict how well alternative games will do, it might flunk, it might do farely well. I do take into account what Famitsu usually has to say about games, but I usually read at least 5 internet reviews before deciding on games (if I can't rent them first).
Dewey's Adventure - Come on, any last gen system could handle this. As I mentioned, the visuals look ripped from the Gamecube's Homeland. It is another game designed around the Wiimote, and not designed around ideas for games. This is the main reason I think the Wii is going to come grinding to a halt before the end of 2007.
http://download.gamevideos.com/8922/gv.com.DewysAdventureDebutTrailer_640x360.wmv That's the highest quality video I've seen of it, and skipping to about 3/4 of the way through to see the gameplay, I think it looks beautifully cute and fairly stylish (not mind-blowing of course), but then again, I'm not one to admire dark and grungy graphics, so it may be my personal taste. And of course you have to design the games that can utilize the wiimote functions around it. The question is if it would be usable with a conventional controller, and if it is not, then what's the problem? Depending on all the gameplay elements this will support, using a conventional controller for this game's design may be anywhere between managable and impossible, we'll have to wait to see. This is one of the risks of departing from a long-lasting way of doing things, which is in this case, a standard controller design, you have to take it into consideration when making new software. If you don't, you end up with something along the likes of a bad port. :o
There was a 5 page preview in a Famitsu a few weeks back. Put me right off the game. You have to use your laser sword thing to beat other assassins in hand to hand combat. When the charge on your sword runs out, you have to run off and shake the Wiimote to charge the 'battery' back up again.
That does sound rather silly, do you perchance know where the text of the interview can be found? I'd still like to read more about it.
I don't understand how you define, 'better'. The reason I will have to buy GT5 is a ton of cars, courses, online play, new and improved photo mode, and probably more on top of that. I am a huge GT fan
I was under the impression you could purchase a large selection of cars and tracks online for the "free" game, and I'm sure I heard about it supporting online modes as well (my knowledge of the game is rather limited, I admit)..... Photo mode? Oh well, the only racing games I enjoy anymore are Mario Kart (SNES and Double Dash versions only), and I'll get Excite Truck when it drops in price. I've never enjoyed "realistic" racers, I've never learned how to touch the brakes in virtual driving. ;)

vanguardian1 said: I was under the impression you could purchase a large selection of cars and tracks online for the "free" game, and I'm sure I heard about it supporting online modes as well (my knowledge of the game is rather limited, I admit)..... Photo mode? Oh well, the only racing games I enjoy anymore are Mario Kart (SNES and Double Dash versions only), and I'll get Excite Truck when it drops in price. I've never enjoyed "realistic" racers, I've never learned how to touch the brakes in virtual driving. ;)
GTHD is just GT4 with HD textures on some online functionality. Actually it is worse than that. There are 2 stages and very few cars (8 if I am not mistaken). there is nothing really next gen about that game. No Physics, damage, normal mapping or advanced customization. Other than the native HD textures the PS2 could handle everything else. GT5 promises to be a huge leap forward and with the talent that polyphonic has shown with such limited power, I am curious to see how thier final product would look on the PS3. I am eagerly anticpating GT 5.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

I see, my apologizes, I'd heard some rather good things about it from some of the game blogs, none of which mentioned what you just stated.

Im seriously looking forward to "Super Paper Mario" - for various reasons. Firstly, Thousand Year Door was my hands down favourite game of the last-gen (yes, even more so than RE4 & various other games). Secondly, I have nothing but respect for Intelligent Systems - I believe they are the only developer that comes close to Nintendo. Throw in extra development time, the extra hardware power of the Wii - and that its more action than RPG - and I just can't wait. PS - I don't agree at all that NSMB was "short". People should realise that its a sequel to the original "Super Mario Bros", and its much longer & deeper than that. Throw in the coin collection, single-cart multiplayer minigames & co-op modes - and I think its close to perfect. Its not meant to be a 80-hour, single-player epic RPG title. (I really hope they develop a new 2D Metroid title using the same engine... drool!).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099