By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I want to buy a wii but...

i feel sorry for all the wii owners with there little 512 mb of memory =(

He posted this before he made this thread.  He's just trolling.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:

He posted this before he made thsi thread. He's just trolling.

It was a transparent attempt, but it's worth responding to the thread in a positive way so that other people who read it will realize that 512MB is not any more a problem for the Wii than 120GB is a problem for the Xbox 360 elite. For ever rare Wii owner who has eclipsed the 512MB mark, there is probably an elite owner who hasn't yet gotten the RROD who has eclipsed the 120GB mark.

Space is not unlimited and has to be managed. Especially on consoles where companies will cut corners to save money in every way possible (look at the 360 premium or the PS3 40GB -- they both have absolutely tiny drives to store HD movies with.

With a 20GB drive, you'll literally get to watch one, then you'll have to delete it and redownload it later if you want to see it again. I'd consider my 360 to be far more space constrained than my Wii simply because the 360 tries to be a media center and fails miserably for lack of space.

Evanstar: if you want to buy a Wii, I'd recommend waiting at Best Buy on a Sunday. Get there two or three hours before the store opens, because the Wii is so insanely popular that it sells out all over America despite Nintendo shipping 4x as much as either HD console these last two months.

Lets see. I have 15 games + ~ 5-6 games I rented, including SSBB and Elebits which both take +100 blocks, 4 VC games, the Mario Kart, Internet, Everybody Votes, Nintendo and Metroid channels, and I still manage to have 400-500 blocks free.

Space is not an issue for the majority of Wii owners. If I wanted I could easily delete 300 blocks worth of information, and I would not care one bit, nor have to re-download any games.

It would be wonderful if nintendo allowed games to save directly to the SD card like in SSBB, but even SSBB still uses 128 blocks.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

TheBigFatJ said:
Viper1 said:

It was a transparent attempt, but it's worth responding to the thread in a positive way so that other people who read it will realize that 512MB is not any more a problem for the Wii than 120GB is a problem for the Xbox 360 elite. For ever rare Wii owner who has eclipsed the 512MB mark, there is probably an elite owner who hasn't yet gotten the RROD who has eclipsed the 120GB mark.

Space is not unlimited and has to be managed. Especially on consoles where companies will cut corners to save money in every way possible (look at the 360 premium or the PS3 40GB -- they both have absolutely tiny drives to store HD movies with.

With a 20GB drive, you'll literally get to watch one, then you'll have to delete it and redownload it later if you want to see it again. I'd consider my 360 to be far more space constrained than my Wii simply because the 360 tries to be a media center and fails miserably for lack of space.

First of all...are you talking about full length movies?  In 720p they are about 3 gigs on xbox live so you could download 3 or 4 no problem.

Also, you can't "buy" them. All of them are 24 hour rentals...so they are gone in 24 hours anyway.

Otherwise, yeah, one needs to manage data on any system. That is however done much faster and more efficient on the 360 and ps3 and needs to be done much less often.

Sometimes I turn my wii on and I don't really know what I want to play...and I'm jsut surfing through Wii-channels. The games on the SD card don't show up so basically they are removed from my choices when I'm browsing my games. I forgot I had Splaterhouse and almost bought it again... 

If you want HD's your looking at the wrong console.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
disolitude said:

First of all...are you talking about full length movies? In 720p they are about 3 gigs on xbox live so you could download 3 or 4 no problem.

Also, you can't "buy" them. All of them are 24 hour rentals...so they are gone in 24 hours anyway.

Otherwise, yeah, one needs to manage data on any system. That is however done much faster and more efficient on the 360 and ps3 and needs to be done much less often.

Sometimes I turn my wii on and I don't really know what I want to play...and I'm jsut surfing through Wii-channels. The games on the SD card don't show up so basically they are removed from my choices when I'm browsing my games. I forgot I had Splaterhouse and almost bought it again...

This doesn't sound right. Games and channels you already paid for and downloaded show up in blue on the Wii Shop channel and are labeled "Download completed". Games and channels you had, but deleted, show up in blue as well and are labeled "Download possible" (or something like that, sorry but my Wii is set to display German screentexts).

You don't have to pay for this stuff again, so your comment sounds suspicious. But maybe you just typed "bought" instead of "downloaded" by accident. If so, my bad.

You are correct. Here it says "Downloadable" if you deleted it or move it to the SD card. You are correct also in correcting me in saying that I almost downloaded it again and not bought it again... Once you transfer it to the SD card...the Wii channel doesn't reckognize that you have it and offers you to download it again.

I think this will be more of a problem if you want to have a lot of Wii Ware games on your console at the same time. But you can always delete games and redownload for free. Or you can back up games on a SD card.

Though Nintendo said that they are currently looking into the space issue for more hardcore users.... Don't know what the solution will be yet. Hard Drive? Games able to play straight off the SD Card? Who knows.

nope, the memory of Wii is enough for quite a lot save files, images, messages and VC/WiiWare games!!

but if you want audio/video files you'll have to buy an sd card (2gb) which is ultra cheap on ebay, also Nintendo said that they are going to announce something new about Wii memory, not sure when....

you can also stream media from pc, there are some quite good softwares around on the internet.....

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Viper1 said:

Same thing can be said about the PS360 owners. I mean what is 20/40/80/120 GB compared to the 1 TB my PC has ...

FaithRaven said:
Viper1 said:

Same thing can be said about the PS360 owners. I mean what is 20/40/80/120 GB compared to the 1 TB my PC has ...

1 Terabyte... my PC's 160Gig HDD is ashamed of itself.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting