By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Announces Late 2008 / Early 2009 Lineup

I'm talking about games with Sony and MS as publishers. Some are third party and some are not, but Sony or MS are publishing them. MGS4 is PS3 exclusive, but is published by Konami and is not in this list as you can see.

Around the Network
windbane said:
rocketpig said:
windbane said:
BrayanA said:
Sorry,
"As you can see this list is about Sony games, not about 3rd party games"
I mean "not about other publishers games"

You still used 3rd party games. It's 1 versus 5, if you count Insomniac as 3rd party. We'd have to include MGS4 and so many others. Check exlusive games list on the top of both forums...

I believe these are all Sony published games, are they not? Some are third party but Sony is publishing them IIRC.

Ok, but out of those, 5 were not developed by Microsoft-owned companies, whereas Resistance 2 is the only game on the list that's not developed by a Sony studio. So yeah, if you nitpick and include publshed games by Microsoft to make the list more impressive, then fine. That's just a result of Sony not publishing third party games as much as Microsoft likes to. They are still third party games. M$ has nothing to match LBP, either way.

Who brought up Microsoft? I was simply stating that I thought they were all Sony-published games. It doesn't matter if they're first party or not, if Sony is publshing them, they're essentially exclusive for eternity.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Ok, make that 3 after checking the developers. stll half his list. Whatever.

BrayanA said:
And this list is "PS3 games domination in 2008". Lol!

Don't troll the thread. I just noticed this post. No wonder the thread went to shit.

rocketpig said:
windbane said:
rocketpig said:
windbane said:
BrayanA said:
Sorry,
"As you can see this list is about Sony games, not about 3rd party games"
I mean "not about other publishers games"

You still used 3rd party games. It's 1 versus 5, if you count Insomniac as 3rd party. We'd have to include MGS4 and so many others. Check exlusive games list on the top of both forums...

I believe these are all Sony published games, are they not? Some are third party but Sony is publishing them IIRC.

Ok, but out of those, 5 were not developed by Microsoft-owned companies, whereas Resistance 2 is the only game on the list that's not developed by a Sony studio. So yeah, if you nitpick and include publshed games by Microsoft to make the list more impressive, then fine. That's just a result of Sony not publishing third party games as much as Microsoft likes to. They are still third party games. M$ has nothing to match LBP, either way.

Who brought up Microsoft? I was simply stating that I thought they were all Sony-published games. It doesn't matter if they're first party or not, if Sony is publshing them, they're essentially exclusive for eternity.

yeah, but his comment was about comparing some handpicked games that are published by microsoft, even though 3 of them are third party. perhaps that still makes them exclusive forever, but it's just unfair to do that when Sony just chooses not to try to publish every exclusive game they get like Microsoft does. My complaint was the limited comparison.

Around the Network

^Yeah, I just saw Bryan's posts. Sony and MS have very different strategies on how to deal with exclusives... MS buys publishing rights, Sony does most of it in-house. There are pluses and minuses to each method and they both work for different reasons.

HappySqurriel said:
windbane said:
HappySqurriel said:
In my opinion the line-up looks fairly weak, I wonder whether there will be any surprise games at E3 or TGS that give the PS3 a boost.

In my opinion, your post is fairly weak. Are you saying another publisher has a better list?

Personally, I was just expecting Sony to be a lot more agressive ...

Resistance 2 and Motorstorm 2 are going to be good games but nothing to get overly excited about, and it is a somewhat sad statment that Sony is already releasing sequels to PS3 games before they have produced many of their bigger franchises from the PS2. Their line-up has a massive bulk of first person shooters (SOCOM, Resistance 2 and Killzone 2) even though the system as a whole already has a massive bulk of first person shooters. On top of all of that, I still have doubts that Killzone 2 will be particularly good or that Little Big Planet can live up to the hype.

Maybe I was expecting too much from Sony, and it was unrealistic to think that they would release sequels to The Getaway, Jak and Daxter, God of War, Twisted Metal, or Sly Cooper; or maybe I was foolish to expect that Sony might actually have a game or two to release this year that we haven't played on the PS3 already, or that wasn't announced over a year ago.

Hum...Resistance 2 is my most anticipated shooter for this entire year, so I'd disagree it's nothing to get excited about. Everyone who has tried LBP is very excited. Sequels to The Getaway, God of War, and Twisted Metal are already underway. Sly Cooper guys are making Infamy. Jak guys are making Uncharted 2. Sony is also working on The Agency, the first chance for a console MMO to succeed since FF11.

Thanks for noticing it just now Rocketpig, I saw it a bit sooner, see my post a few posts back Plus a very objective correct answer.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

rocketpig said:
^Yeah, I just saw Bryan's posts. Sony and MS have very different strategies on how to deal with exclusives... MS buys publishing rights, Sony does most of it in-house. There are pluses and minuses to each method and they both work for different reasons.

Yeah, for sure. And if Ninja Gaiden 2 never goes to PS3, meaning they wasted their time developing Ninja Gaiden Sigma, then obviously the publishing deal was about exclusivity. Still, if you are going to handpick games from third parties, it's not a fair comparison if Sony just doesn't use the same strategy. A game like MGS4 might as well be considered published by Sony since it's being bundled with the console. But hey, he wins on technicality...although he only specifies the genres that M$ had that Sony did not, which is also a little unfair considering there is no match for several of Sony's games. Oh well.

rocketpig said:
BrayanA said:
And this list is "PS3 games domination in 2008". Lol!

Don't troll the thread. I just noticed this post. No wonder the thread went to shit.

Ok. You are right. I will create another thread for Sony vs MS games for 2008.