By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. Brawl Official Updates

Viewtiful Joe wouldn't work. His slo-mo attack would ruin the game and piss everybody off multiplayer. His speed up attack could work but effectively make him invincible when he's doing it. The way they worked around it in the game was to have his something power run out and make you lose your Viewtifulness while it charged back up. None of this would work in a game like Brawl. The whole point of Viewtiful Joe is mastering the timing between "charging your lazers" as it were. You get little bursts of invincibility mixed with little bursts of extreme vulnerability. If it's a Capcom character at all, it's Mega Man. He's 20 years old and has had a billion games. He even played soccer a decade before Mario did.

I don't know how I feel about Mega Man having an teleport up move. Would he be invincible during the teleport? How high would it go? How fast would it be? Sell me on it people.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Around the Network

Nobody likes my idea of a Gyromite stage?

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

A theory of why Ness is in, but no more third party characters:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=120417

There are plenty of videos of the Brawl gameplay but check out the title screen:

Characters: Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokemon / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc / Shigesato Itoi / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment Co., LTD / SEGA

Note that Snake is not playable but Konami is listed there. [IN the Demo]
Here's my point. Shigesato Itoi designed the characters for Mother 1 2 and 3. Fine, his name is there and Creatures Inc. made Mother 3. But, note, also on the list is APE Inc.
APE Inc. is the company that created Mother 1 and Mother 2. They were renamed to Creatures Inc. before Mother 3. This is the copyright information for the playable characters. If Lucas replaces Ness, there'd be no reason for APE Inc to appear since Shigesato Itoi and Creatures Inc are the two copyright owners.
In conclusion, APE Inc. is there because a character from Mother 1 and/or Mother 2 is playable....NESS!

Smash64 and Smash Melee have the same layout (Title, Game Developers, Characters)
If that were true that it copyright for items we should have seen RARE for Goldeneye's Proximity Mine. It specifically says CHARACTERS

Viewtiful Joe Movesets:

B: Slow punch.  It doesn't slow time, but similar to Captain Falcon's punch it does a lot of damage but is slow to use.  However, in standard Viewtiful Joe style after you hit someone with it your damage goes up for the next few seconds.
Side+B: Mach Punch.  Joe unleashes a series of very fast punches.  If you use it a lot in a row you catch on fire delivering more damage.  Low damage at high speed, meaning overall high damage low knockback.
Up+B: Joe's spinning rocket jump thing I forgot the name of >_<
Down+B: Slide kick.  Self-explanitory.
FS: Slow Zoom Red Hot One Hundred.  That's a mouthful.  Basically what happens is Joe (needing to be right next to someone) Slows time, Zooms in the camera on him and his opponent, then delivers 5 or 6 deadly punches with very high damage and no knockback, then one final punch with huge knockback. Almost gaurunteed to KO 1 opponent.

^Hell Yeah!

Around the Network

Oh wow, so Zero Suit Samus can switch back to regular Samus...interesting. I think I like how that works. I don't know if I'd want ZSS as a stand-alone character...just within a match sometimes.

And since my friends and I typically play longer Stock matches...I'm sure I'll have the opportunity to play as Samus, then ZSS, and then switch back again. Sounds good to me.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Page 100! *hi-fives the next poster*

Viewtiful Joe is too much of a Captain Falcon clone.

B- Falcon Punch

Side B- Captain Falcon's A attack used three

Down B- Falcon Kick.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

I will get Post 5,000.

You shall all see.

My greatness will be overwhelming.

DonWii said:
A theory of why Ness is in, but no more third party characters:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=120417

There are plenty of videos of the Brawl gameplay but check out the title screen:

Characters: Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokemon / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc / Shigesato Itoi / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment Co., LTD / SEGA

Note that Snake is not playable but Konami is listed there. [IN the Demo]
Here's my point. Shigesato Itoi designed the characters for Mother 1 2 and 3. Fine, his name is there and Creatures Inc. made Mother 3. But, note, also on the list is APE Inc.
APE Inc. is the company that created Mother 1 and Mother 2. They were renamed to Creatures Inc. before Mother 3. This is the copyright information for the playable characters. If Lucas replaces Ness, there'd be no reason for APE Inc to appear since Shigesato Itoi and Creatures Inc are the two copyright owners.
In conclusion, APE Inc. is there because a character from Mother 1 and/or Mother 2 is playable....NESS!

Smash64 and Smash Melee have the same layout (Title, Game Developers, Characters)
If that were true that it copyright for items we should have seen RARE for Goldeneye's Proximity Mine. It specifically says CHARACTERS

Sweet!  That confirms Ness in my eyes...you just can't be 100% sure I guess.  I'm 85% sure now though.

Also...the Proximity Mine was just a generic Smash item if I remember correctly...not from Goldeneye.  It just had the same likeness, and obviously got its inspiration from Goldeneye...if I remember correctly. 

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )