By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Thoughts on Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

haha epsilon thats just cream ;)

Around the Network

It is a little early to mark this game as crap. Some people already see this as a failure. I am not in this group. However I disagree even more with those jumping on the "innovation" bandwagon.

Customizable vehicles may not be that great (in terms of making your own choices) for 3 reasons:

1) You can not make some decisions. For example, a car that is made only with wheels or an airplane that is just a single turbine (you could do that in Kingdom Hearts 2, but it still sucked).

2) Just because you have the options that does not mean you should. Why would I insert jumping parts on an airplane or wheels on a submarine? What is the point of using guns in a race? There are redundant and useless choices.

3) The game will limit your choices one way or another. I do not expect flying early on and I think the flying will be limited to areas and challenges. Otherwise what is the point of platforms when you can just fly?

Also, I do not see all those options as something new or fresh. It is like removing all abilities of a character and then limiting their choices with ability slots (just like FF8 GFs).

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

The like the idea of this game. I think it will work for Banjo Kazooie

Frankly, here is why this game is meh from a hype perspective:

1. A lot of people hate vehicles being forced upon them. You can do just as much interesting stuff on the ground as you can do in a vehicle. It requires the learning of two control schemes, it requires that we get excited about "customizing" a vehicle. This is a platformer(we thought) us, the platforming audience, won't be as open to vehicles as the FPS audience. It's not just the same thing from a faster perspective. It's a more boring thing, from a dissapointing perspective.

2. Ugh, user generated content. In other words, to get the best out of this game, which is classically an awesome single player game, I gotta get online, or play the crap I or my friends "drew." You claim that developers make content rigid, I prefer to think they make it good. A few exceptions, Counterstrike, however, I have a feeling the guys that made that game weren't your usuall XBL kids. I want some story, some linearity, and some pacing to my single player games, made by a professional, not user generated content. I only go for that when I'm playing computer and I need an addon for WoW. I am NOT open to user generated content, much less the fact that I need to download it. That's not genius. It's standard in your new platformers who can't compete on a traditional level because it's too hard.

3. The whole 80 percent thing really screws me up. In my head I think, platformer, cool, like em when they're really good, but not my favorite genre. Platformer with vehicles. Heh, alright. Well, they add some stuff in there to mix it up. Vehiclier with platforming. Eat me. No way in hell.

Who knows, this could be the greatest game ever made. However, right now, it looks bad, and I'm not just "unexcited" about this game, I'm downright out for vengance that Rare had the gaul to try to pass this unoriginal vehicle based bullcrap off as a challenger to Mario. Whatever.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess this game will be over-rated at an 8/10.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Graphically, my opinion is that individual objects look great but when you put the picture together it just doesn't work. In short, I don't like it.

About the game itself I can't comment much as I never played the original on N64.  Found this vehicle thing weird, didn't expect it and didn't get very excited about it.  Same for being able to create your own vehicles.

Considering Galaxy the benchmark, disappointing trailer... specially considering the extra horse power.  Maybe we are not even talking about the same genre though.

Around the Network

"To say that Banjo has completely abandoned its traditional platformer roots wouldn't quite be accurate. Our hero may have lost most of his moves in favor of his new toys, but he still has a trick or two up his sleeve. He can lift things up with Mumbo, climb poles, shimmy across tight ropes, grab onto ledges and hop around like a madman, to name a few of his talents. These will come into play more in the larger hub worlds."

Thats from an ign xbox reviewer. I think we will have to wait and see how the combination of the two works out, but overall im excited for the new content which i think will be way more interactive. They liken it to lego! who doesnt like lego?!!! lol

Microsoft's answer to Little Big Planet.

I do agree that only 20% platforming is too little, but I do think that it is a unique concept

You know, we can't judge the entire game, by a single trailer. Perhaps, the developers, were demonstrating the newer aspects of the game. I mean, they have six months left to go anyways, so wait it out, and I'm sure it wont be a let down, like everyone thinks. Until you've played the game, you can't judge. The vehicles, may add a lot more freedom. I think the graphics are pretty good. They're nice, and bright. I found Ratchet: Future, to always be dark, and gloomy, even if it may have had, better graphics.

Besides, I'm sure the graphics of Banjo, will be better, at the very end. 6 months. Half a year. Everything will be better. But, why does Banjo look like he's made out of cubes? Also, why did they have to change the name to "Nuts and Bolts?" What happened to "Threeie?" "Threeie" would have kept up with the tradition, of numerically, altered, names. "Kazooie" is not "one," but represents "one." "Tooie" is not "two," but sounds like "two." And "Threeie" would have had a perfect "three," in the name. But no. All flushed down, because of "Nuts and Bolts."

The new name, makes the game, seem like a spin off, instead of a true sequel. It also represents the vehicles, which confirms that the game, may be more vehicle oriented, than platform oriented. Like I said, the vehicles may enhance the game play, but there shouldn't be too much. If I wanted to race with Banjo, I'd play Diddy Kong Racing.

I like the direction the new Banjo Kazooie is taking