By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PALGN: LittleBigPlanet Preview - What a wonderful world

*~Onna76~* said:
Why do Ninty fans find the habbit to bash on any good future PS3 game, just to make their point that WII games are so much better than PS3 games to the audience as if they can look inside the brain of every person in the world and find out what they like or not.

Who's bashing? Did I not say this game could be good and sales could be good as well?

I just would like to know why some people think this game will suck in a huge casual audience other than it having cutesy graphics.  

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
*~Onna76~* said:
Why do Ninty fans find the habbit to bash on any good future PS3 game, just to make their point that WII games are so much better than PS3 games to the audience as if they can look inside the brain of every person in the world and find out what they like or not.

Who's bashing? Did I not say this game could be good and sales could be good as well?

I just would like to know why some people think this game will suck in a huge casual audience other than it having cutesy graphics.

No one said it's going to be magically easier to play, but it greatly simplifies the level creating process, but doesn't do it to the point where only the best level editors can make something halfway decent (Brawl's level creator, anyone?).

Yes, cutesy graphics are a big part of it. But besides that, it makes level creating much simpler. Is it going to bring in soccer moms and 80 year olds? Probably not. Is it going to allow for even little kids to make fun levels and allow more people to share their levels that have a chance of not sucking? Yes, it certainly will.

It's not really trying to bring in casual users so much as expand a small genre to a larger group of existing gamers. 

Kasz216 said:
Reasonable said:
Kasz216 said:
Reasonable said:
Kasz216 said:
Dallinor said:
bbsin said:
I wonder how Sony is going to market this casual-ish game...

All they have to do is run colourful ads with the really catchy soundtrack this game has.

The game will sell itself.

I disagree. I think you've got to explain it a bit more to get them more excited. I don't see colorful adds with catchy music moving a system to the casual crowd.

This is a game people aren't goign to know anything about. Without any explination it will just look like another platformer. Even while showing editor events I don't think it will come across what is going on. It might just look like a "Lemmings" type game.

Unless you already know a lot about LBP i can't see an add campaign like that working.

We must be watching different Wii ads then.

I'm dressed in white in a nicely decorated room waving a stick with some mates... catchy music bit... oh look I've skipped a rope!

I actually agree LBP might struggle to find an audience - but I doubt advertising it will be difficult, it'll be getting existing PS3 owners to try it and the fact a lot of people who might like the ad will probably have a Wii and might not fancy the cost of a PS3 to get the game.

But it does look like the best game since Portal (which was for sure my GOTY - innovation first always in my book particularly if its linked to enjoyable gameplay and a cool experience) so I'm really hoping it breaks out from the mould and finds a huge audience.

What on the Wii that has been advertised is as complicated as a game that's based mostly around level editors and online content. All the Wii games are really straightfoward.

Considering that to bring in the casual crowd your going to have to convince them to spend over 400 dollars I think you would need to stress the fact that the game has near infinite replayability due to user generated content.

My point is Wii ads tell you nothing about the game. They just show a couple of seconds of screenfootage and focus on someone waving a Wiimote and smiling. The game could be complex or simple but you can't tell from the ad.

There is no need for an LBP ad to remotely hint at complexity. In a similar vein all it has to show is some cute ragdolls smilling, a bit of a colourful level and a family of four rolling around laughing as they play.

Sure, if they want they can show the editing, etc. but the point is they don't need to. There is no obligation when advertising to do so.

Except you would NEED TO DO SO. "Hey these guys are cute, spend $460!" Isn't going to get a lot of casuals off their couch.

They would either need to explain the game, or use it as an also ran for talking up the PS3's blu-ray features. "Hey it's a Blu-ray player that can play a game with these cute guys!"

Casuals more then any other group needs to see value in what is new to them.  Just one game with sack people just isn't going to do it.

NO THEY DON'T - A Wii add doesn't go hey there's a game, and you insert it, then the Wiimote goes here and BTW you need a Wii to play this so if you like the look of this game you need to spend £179 pounds.  They just go here's a nice experience you can have on a Wii.

Its cumulative marketing and creating a percieved need.  All Sony need to show is LBP.  Nothing else.  No BR.  Nothing.  No-one apart from a few hardcore buys a console for one game - don't be silly.  I notice that adverts for AC for PS3 don't bang on about BR and how you might want to buy more games rather than spend £300 + to play it.  As a result you just don't touch on such things - you focus on what you're selling and that's it.

I think most Sony ads I've seen are terrible though, so if I was them I'd change my advertising design company first before putting too much money behind any LBP TV ads and the like.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

MontanaHatchet said:

No one said it's going to be magically easier to play, but it greatly simplifies the level creating process, but doesn't do it to the point where only the best level editors can make something halfway decent (Brawl's level creator, anyone?).

Yes, cutesy graphics are a big part of it. But besides that, it makes level creating much simpler. Is it going to bring in soccer moms and 80 year olds? Probably not. Is it going to allow for even little kids to make fun levels and allow more people to share their levels that have a chance of not sucking? Yes, it certainly will.

It's not really trying to bring in casual users so much as expand a small genre to a larger group of existing gamers.

I completely agree with this.

My statement was addressed more to the people who think that LBP is going to cause a mass migration of casual users from the Wii to the PS3. 

haha wow it feels like a really good nintendo on the ps3
lol

i think this is a killer app. I only have a wii and a 360
but i would BUY a ps3 just for this game. It looks that good

props to the 25 ppl company who r making this

Proud member of the Fierce Fox Force.

"I strike spurs onto my Wii controller. And against Sony and MS I fling myself,
unvanquished and unyielding. 'O Wii!!!"

-The Nintendian Philosophy

Around the Network

@FishyJoe

I agree. It wont bring in many new gamers, like Wii Sports or Wii Fit did/is. But, it is a game that can distinguish the PS3 from the 360. The 360 and PS3 are similar consoles in many respects. LBP's originality and cute character design does give it a lot of casual appeal. If people are choosing between a PS3 or 360 I think this game will persuade them to choose a PS3.

Remember, there are still at least 70M people who bought a console last generation, who haven't bought a console this generation. These are gamers who know how to use a dualshock controller (or something similar). I think this game will bring a lot of those gamers to the PS3.

I just watched the gametrailers videos and I feel sorry for everyone who hasn't got a PS3.

FishyJoe said:
You still haven't explained how this game is easier to play than any other platformer. Could you hand the control to someone who's never played a video game before and would they be able to have instant enjoyment? All the content in the world is not going to make the game easier to play.
It's probably no easier to play than Super Mario World.  The biggest obstacle to understanding how to play it might be the buttons that will go unused on the controller; they might cause confusion in a person such as what you describe.

2D platformers are WAY simpler for newcomers, I think, compared to 3D ones -- even though LBP's platforming will have depth. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

FishyJoe said:
*~Onna76~* said:

Sorry, my mistake then I found it only strange, why you compared LBP with for example WII Sports here, while they're entirely different.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

*~Onna76~* said:

I'm not bashing anything.

Though the reason i'm looking into peoples brains to figure out things on what people may or may not buy is because I've had a bunch of classes and have done a bunch of studies involving consumer pscyhology.

Which is just that... and I find it fun. A just "show" marketing strategy WILL NOT work for LBP on the PS3... or atleast it wouldn't with my expierence in consumer psychology and marketing.