By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 video issues, please help.

Hello, I just purchased a Pro model back in February (Falcon Model) and everything was working fine until I went to my girlfriends house with my 360 today.

I hooked it up as usual to their HDTV (which works perfectly fine with my PS3 btw) and it shows absolutely no video and only thing I have is audio. If I set the console to SD it seems to work fine but if I ever switch it to HD mode the picture blacks out completely.

Anyone know what is wrong? If I am somehow on my way to RRoD I am prepared to really let MS have a mouthful as this thing isn't even 4 months old yet.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

I was having the same problem with my friends at his house.

are you sure youre in the right tv extention, if you have HDMI for PS3 and Component for 360 then they will be on different extentions, if thats not a problem then try cleaning your 360's HDMI/Component cable.

PS360ForTheWin said:
are you sure youre in the right tv extention, if you have HDMI for PS3 and Component for 360 then they will be on different extentions, if thats not a problem then try cleaning your 360's HDMI/Component cable.

Component on both. My girlfriends TV as well as my own do not support HDMI. Both support 480p, 720p and 1080i.

The 360 was working perfectly fine on Component as my house lastnight while I was playing Gears. Now I pick up Mass Effect and suddenly it doesn't work unless put into SD mode... with the component cables no less.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

PooperScooper said:
I was having the same problem with my friends at his house.

All I know is that if my 360 is on it's way out after just 2 1/2 months, they can kiss one one very expensive gamer goodbye.

I really hope it isn't.

Edit - I figured out my own problem. Thank god.

Problem was that my girlfriends HDTV actually does not support 720p (although strange since my PS3 games play on this same TV in 720p) and I had to change it to 1080i. Not happy though since 720p is so much better.

PS3 I guess makes it easier since you can set multiple resolutions as opposed to just 1 at a time on the 360, meaning that if the TV does not support it, you will think your system is broken, just as I did.

WHEW!!!! MASS EFFECT HERE I COME!!!

Mod can close this thread now.

Currently playing:

Around the Network

Do you leave your 360 standing or lying down?

crumas2 said:
Do you leave your 360 standing or lying down?

I always had it lying down. I seem to have figured out the issue though although it is still very odd. I had to set it to 480p or 1080i.

720p does not seem work with the 360 and my girlfriends HDTV yet my PS3 works on the same TV in 720p with no issues.

Anyone know a reason for this?

Maybe I should hook up the PS3 and check if maybe it always jumped to 1080i.

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:

Problem was that my girlfriends HDTV actually does not support 720p (although strange since my PS3 games play on this same TV in 720p) and I had to change it to 1080i. Not happy though since 720p is so much better.

If the TV doesn't support 720p, your PS3 isn't displaying at 720p FYI. I noticed the same thing when I switched TVs with my PS3... It said 1080p but the TV didn't even support that resolution. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
Euphoria14 said:

If the TV doesn't support 720p, your PS3 isn't displaying at 720p FYI. I noticed the same thing when I switched TVs with my PS3... It said 1080p but the TV didn't even support that resolution. 

I was thinking that. I think I will bring my PS3 here tomorrow and double check. Although what you are saying makes alot of sense with what I have been experiencing.

Odd that it would display resolutions it does not support though. That is weird.

I was going to be so upset if I couldn't play ME tonight.

You can close this thread at anytime if you wish as the problem seems to be fixed.

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:
rocketpig said:
Euphoria14 said:

I was thinking that. I think I will bring my PS3 here tomorrow and double check. Although what you are saying makes alot of sense with what I have been experiencing.

Odd that it would display resolutions it does not support though. That is weird.

I was going to be so upset if I couldn't play ME tonight.

You can close this thread at anytime if you wish as the problem seems to be fixed.

It doesn't need to be closed, it will fade away in time. :D

I also found that odd about the PS3... I even unchecked 1080p and checked 720p instead... Rebooted it and it said 1080p again. At that point I said screw it and let it think it was rendering at 1080p.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/