By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GTAIV Sales Drop This Week

kingofwale said:
Both shortage in xbox version of 360 and PS3 hardware at my store.
What other version of 360 is there?    Seriously, I'm not even sure I know what you were saying.  Is it 360 and PS3 are both short, or 360, PS3, and 360 version of GTA? 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

I'll still restate what I said in the Hanafuda thread, that it won't be over 1 million this week or next week. Though I'm pretty sure I'll be wrong this week. Next week, I'm confident I'll be correct.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

LordTheNightKnight said:
SuperLloyd said:
Munkeh111 said:
The drop was kind of expected, but it did not expect the drop to be so severe.

GT 5 p is keeping its sales quite high (I'm not sure how widespread the bundle is, amazon are out though) so I would expect GTA IV to keep its sales up like that for a long time.

I would have to agree with that.

GT5P didn't have the opening of GTA IV either. It's easier to keep low openings than big ones.

A better comparison would be Halo 3. It also had a large drop after its first week, but still managed to sell over double that in the long run. If that is also the case here, this game will sell about 12 million total in the long rin.

12 million total in the long run would probably be a dissapointment for most people... as ridiculious as it sounds.

NA numbers are up:
360: 799,753
PS3: 359,133

PS3 version is in 3rd place this week behind MK:Wii at 415,320.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

So the 360 version hits a million WW in its second week Nice!

Around the Network

not bad considering launch #'s

Looking at this another way...

Going by current VG numbers there are WW 31 HD consoles

Assuming that 5% of owners have both consoles (plucked number out the air by my own admission) then the number of prospective purchasers was approx 28M HD gamers.

To date (2 weeks) GTA IV has sold around 7.5 Million units on that base - i.e. approx 26 to 27% of HD gamers have bought this game already and assuming that attach rate holds roughly steady the long term sales of the game are going to be very good

Pretty good really... its not like it was really going to sell 17M in 2 or 3 weeks with only around 28M potential purchasers already in possession of a console.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

another intersting thing is that GTAIV couold become the best selling title on x360...after 2 weeks it's just 200k copies behind halo 3 and it's closing the gap. 8M+ LTD is not impossible.

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

Well its second week was bigger then halo 3's second week so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it eventually outsells halo 3 on the 360 alone.

FaRmLaNd said:
Well its second week was bigger then halo 3's second week so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it eventually outsells halo 3 on the 360 alone.

yes, NOW it isn't suprprising...but just before GTAIV launch i bet that only few thought this to be possible 

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M