By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony's Overestimations

For those that are discounting the blu-ray, keep in mind that Sony plans on manufacturing 12 million BD's this year, and have made 3 million already this first quarter of the year. They are expanding production capacity to 30 million.

Around the Network
JouninGarret said:
One thing I find curious is that,despite the Wii´s very healthy sales in all major territories,devs and publishers keep giving the system only "small meat",while giving the 360 and PS3 what could be considered the "big games"....Capcom gives 360/PS3 Resident Evil 5 and Devil May Cry 4,gives the Wii RE:Umbrella Chronicles,an on rails shooter.....Square gives the PS3 FFXIII and FF VS XIII,gives both the 360 and PS3 The Last Remnant,and gives the Wii....a Chocobo game...one Konami dev named Tsuboyama has recently been quoted saying "Silent Hill 5 would surely be easier to develop for the Wii,but it wouldn´t be appropriate for that system´s target audience"....now,on one hand,one could say that´s because most of these "big games" had already been comitted to the 360 and PS3 before the Wii´s success caught devs and publishers off guard,but on the other hand,recent comments such as this one from Konami may lead to a strange scenario,one that I personally have never seen before...the scenario where the best selling system doesn´t get what´s considered the "main titles",it gets offshoots...not that they´re bound to be bad and some may prefer them over the "main titles",but I think E3 2007 and TGS 2007 will reveal the devs´ attitude towards the Wii...of course,what I´m getting at here is....with the Wii´s high sales numbers,surely devs will flock to it,it´s an automatic response,but the question is,what kind of games will they make for it?....the "big games"?....or "small meat"?

Currently PS3/xbox360 games still have a higher install base than the Wii.

RolStoppable said:
your mother said:

How about looking at the thread title another way?

Sony simply underestimated Nintendo?

I mentioned that in my 1st post in this thread which was the 2nd post overall. Sometimes I doubt that anyone reads my posts.

Whoops... did miss that...

dallas said:
For those that are discounting the blu-ray, keep in mind that Sony plans on manufacturing 12 million BD's this year, and have made 3 million already this first quarter of the year. They are expanding production capacity to 30 million.

They can manufacture all they want. If the demand isn't there, it isn't there. The entire HD-movie market is still less than 15% (i believe) of the entire movie market (and only half of those are Blu-Ray).

JouninGarret said:
One thing I find curious is that,despite the Wii´s very healthy sales in all major territories,devs and publishers keep giving the system only "small meat",while giving the 360 and PS3 what could be considered the "big games"....Capcom gives 360/PS3 Resident Evil 5 and Devil May Cry 4,gives the Wii RE:Umbrella Chronicles,an on rails shooter.....Square gives the PS3 FFXIII and FF VS XIII,gives both the 360 and PS3 The Last Remnant,and gives the Wii....a Chocobo game...one Konami dev named Tsuboyama has recently been quoted saying "Silent Hill 5 would surely be easier to develop for the Wii,but it wouldn´t be appropriate for that system´s target audience"....now,on one hand,one could say that´s because most of these "big games" had already been comitted to the 360 and PS3 before the Wii´s success caught devs and publishers off guard,but on the other hand,recent comments such as this one from Konami may lead to a strange scenario,one that I personally have never seen before...the scenario where the best selling system doesn´t get what´s considered the "main titles",it gets offshoots...not that they´re bound to be bad and some may prefer them over the "main titles",but I think E3 2007 and TGS 2007 will reveal the devs´ attitude towards the Wii...of course,what I´m getting at here is....with the Wii´s high sales numbers,surely devs will flock to it,it´s an automatic response,but the question is,what kind of games will they make for it?....the "big games"?....or "small meat"?

I dont think developers will really ever give the Wii the "big games". However, I think the trend of "small meat" will be over after E3. We should see some "medium well meat" games coming soon, as more developers jump on board. Still, developers are too afraid of change, and it is doubtful that the Wii will get the big franchises, or simply spin-offs of big franchises.

However, if EA's new game division, EA Casual Games (AKA Wii development Team), is any indication, we wont be seeing Call of Duty 4 on the Wii (Of course not the PS3/360 game, but not even a spin-off).