By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unbiased Facts About the NextGen Consoles

rocketpig said:

The SPEs are part of the Cells biggest problem. Since everything needs to run through the main processor, the Cell cannot dedicate one SPE to a specific function without the main processor participating to that process.

Which is why the Cell is a BAD GAMING PROCESSOR. Sony flatout screwed this up. The Cell is limited by its own main processor. Each SPE is capable of processing a lot of data but its biggest limitation is the main processor, which is why we see things like XB access inabled during gameplay.

spe_create_thread(group_id, code, args, environment, affinity, flags);

And it's off and running.  SPEs can (and should) initiate their own DMA transfers, so they don't need to constantly be "fed" data, they just need to know where it is.  I don't know where people got this idea that the PPE needs to be involved in every little thing that happens on the Cell.

You're 100% right about the SNES though, its only disadvantage was a slower CPU clock speed, it had double the RAM, a better sprite engine supporting transparency, much higher color depth, a graphics mode that supported rapid sprite scaling and rotation (mode 7), and a more robust sound engine.  And I'm probably leaving a few things out.  :)

Around the Network
FACT 23: Microsoft's backpack smells like gym shorts. Also, Betsy says that MS is a bad kisser.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

* walks in to thread* This is unbiased... right... * walks out of biased as hell thread*

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Fact 1: this is one of the stupidest posts I've ever read. I'm sorry I even bothered.

Fact 2: the idea that this poster is unbiased is about as logical as saying Fox News is unbiased.

It will take at least 1 year in the UK and almost 2 years in America to take the lead -if the current sales are sustained-. However, we know this will not happen. Wii is older technology per se and novelty is gonna start to wear off while the initial reaction to a brand new console will also fade away.

Did I read the thread title wrong? I thought this was both unbiased, and FACTS... Guess not.

Around the Network
freedquaker said:
Tispower said:
"it obviously has more RAM." WTF!!!! 256+256=512!!! PS3 has 256mb+256mb, xBox has 512mb... Also my point wasn't that you're wrong, but the topic title said facts, I was just saying they aren't really facts as such, but maybe fairly obvious (at the moment anyway) analogies. Also I said Markets Change, and your response was that your fact was from the past, so you're not really countering me there...

First off 512 is not really equal to 256 + 256 when it comes to how you are gonna ration your sources, in which Xbox360 is a lot more liberal. Secondly, Xbox360 actually has 480 MB of RAM reserved to developers while PS3 only has 192+224.  Those figures are actually not intended to depict Xbox360 is superior, but simply that PS3 is not that superior, especially while bottlenecked by the memory and extremely unorthodox architecture. Nevertheless I believe PS3 is more powerful than Xbox360 but this power is hard to tap when the console isnt that popular, clear from the past experiences.

True.... I totally agree that 256 + 256 is not the same as 512 shared. But have u check on the kinda ram they are using? I am not sure what ram they are using, but ram specs plays a big part.... Unless u wanna claim that 2gb of EDO ram is better than 1gb of DDR2.

This will be my unbiased review.

PS3 will fail if:
1) 3rd party Publishers continue porting games from X360 and not fully unleashing the power of the PS3.
2) Sony continues their high cost production. Too expensive for a console.
3) Developers are not capable of developing games for the PS3.

X360 will fail if:
1) Sony comes strong with an online system far better and free. All the speculations of Home, we will have to wait and see.
2) MS continues producing unstable X360.

Wii will fail if:
1) Their new innovative controller craze wears off.

Advantages:
PS3: High content capability. Great graphics. Potential we have yet to see, thats if we will see it at all.
X360: Great online arcade content. Nice graphics.
Wii: Fun innovative gameplay.

Cons:
PS3: Very little games. Slow release.
X360: Poor QC. Probably reached its limitation with the games today.
Wii: Poor graphics and sound

Christopher_G2 said:

Fact 1: this is one of the stupidest posts I've ever read. I'm sorry I even bothered.

Fact 2: the idea that this poster is unbiased is about as logical as saying Fox News is unbiased.

Fact 1: It's a shame when the high and mighty get bothered by the stupidity of of peons. Wait a tick, why are you wasting your time posting on a message board at all?!? Fact 2: Topic starter is definately misinformed.....that's about all I'm gonna say. Fact 3: Am I being a troll? Okay so that's question not a fact. I'm definately being, um, sarcastic. Fox news is BIASED?!? You have shattered my sheltered little world with your claims. Really now, is this really the place for political propaganda? Aren't we suppossed to be focusing on console propaganda?

Ok I think he's had enough. It's no dumber than a lot of the other threads I have read that you guys have made, only difference is that this ones comically ironic, and really easy to make fun of.

RolStoppable said:

"Increased Wii supply, summer months, holidays. Still it will be nearly impossible that this prediction becomes reality. I'll update both predictions in my signature every month once NPD data comes in. "

OK thats possible, not probable in America though.

to Windbane...

1. The PS2 is cheaper than the Wii, thats true, but I havent said "cheaper consoles sell more". I just said "high price console never win". People are missing one point here, when I say "high price", I dont mean "the highest price console in the market". You may price your console at $300 while your rivals are pricing at $250, but it still is not a high price console since $300 is well acceptable. What I mean with high price is "over $400" for America. PS1 was well within the range and PS2 was a close deal, and dropped price when Xbox and GC were released. So all the winning consoles stayed below $400 and anything above was doomed to failure.

2. I didnt say "they lie". I said they vastly exaggerate. Others do this too, but not as much as Sony does!

3. Im done with that SNES thing, it wasnt the issue. You got the point, right? Genesis has had its advantages as well, but lets drop this SNES-Genesis issue, ok? About PS1 over N64, yes PS1 had many advantages and the console of choice by many producers (this is a good reason behind its victory) but this still dont disprove that N64 was stronger (have you compared the graphics of the both?)

4. The fact was about the past Sony performance, the PS3 loadings were MY OPINION, ok? But now I begin to think it might be better thanks to internal Hard disk, so you got a point here.

5. Xbox did really blow PS2 and I was jealous of Xbox games as a PS2 owner. The Goddamn Aliasing ruined my graphical taste in the first place while Xbox had much less trouble about it.

6. There are more memory available on xbox360 (which is also more flexible to utilize) to the developer as confirmed by both parties so thats a fact. But it just doesnt mean Xbox has superior because of this, PS3 may be using the ram more efficiently due to higher bandwidth or something else or vice versa. My point was that PS3 was not so incredibly superior to Xbox360 as folks make a fuss about.

7. Yes the future usually repeats in the long term and how do you know that it doesnt at this very time.

8. So wii is taking the lead, I was just writing the facts man! :)

9. Thats not an opinion but comparative analysis with Xbox360, Wii, PS1 and PS2 and some other consoles. It reveals that no other console which has done so poorly in such a period could succeed. Ok, if you believe time will not repeat itself then its your hopefull faith. But history is written by the men having the same genetics conveyed from one generation to another, which is one the history repeats :)

ssj12 said:
"This is unbiased... right..."

The titles are unbiased, of course there are my biased opinions between the lines :D lol

Christopher_G2 said :

"Fact 1: this is one of the stupidest posts I've ever read. I'm sorry I even bothered.

Fact 2: the idea that this poster is unbiased is about as logical as saying Fox News is unbiased. "

I guess this is also your VERY BIASED opinion, right? And my biased opinion is that you regret to hear the very facts that make you realize the truths that hurt a lot. Gotcha!

Xyrax said:
"Did I read the thread title wrong? I thought this was both unbiased, and FACTS... Guess not."

Name one title that is not an unbiased fact (except for the SNES-Genesis debate). Note that the texts below the titles are my opinions and of course biased! I should've explained this (that was my first post, blame it)

Silver_Z said:
"True.... I totally agree that 256 + 256 is not the same as 512 shared. But have u check on the kinda ram they are using? I am not sure what ram they are using, but ram specs plays a big part.... Unless u wanna claim that 2gb of EDO ram is better than 1gb of DDR2."

You are absolutely right. But what I was trying to say that PS3 is assumed to be superior to Xbox360 (as it is more expensive to produce, released later and sold for a hefty price) but this may not necessarily be the issue and the gap could be smaller than expected and Xbox could be superior in certain areas.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates