By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why have so many franchises went awful, last generation?

Oh yeah, the Megaman series ruined by Sony's regionalization.

- MM Legends 1: Took out original music, censored game content and redubbed the japanese with english voice acting (not the best but not terrible).

- MM Legends 2: Took out original music, censored game content and redubbed the japanese with english voice acting (not the best but not terrible).

- Misadventures of Tron Bonne: Took out original music, censored game content and redubbed the japanese with english voice acting (not the best but not terrible).

- MM8: Took out original music, replaced it with cheap techno, and redubbed the Japanese with terrible english voice acting.

- MMX4: Took out original music, replaced it with cheap techno, and redubbed the Japanese with terrible english voice acting.

- MMX5: relatively untouched (maybe)

- MMX6: Untouched (no foul)

- MMX7: Aside from sucking as a game to begin with Sony's regionalization's need to yet again take out original music, replace it with cheap techno and redub the japanese with different yet still terrible voice acting resumed a new for the next gen.

- MMX8: Aside from sucking as a game to begin with Sony's regionalization's need to yet again take out original music, replace it with cheap techno and redub the japanese with different yet still terrible voice acting resumed a new for the next gen.

- MMXCM: While the voice acting wasn't that bad in this one, the original Japanese as a choice would have been nice too.

- MM Collection: While variants were released for the consoles the Sony version was the original that was regionalized and ported to the other consoles maintaining all the censorship and bad voice acting.

- MMX Collection: While variants were released for the consoles the Sony version was the original that was regionalized and ported to the other consoles maintaining all the censorship and bad voice acting.

- MMX (PSP): Nice game really, but again, terrible voice acting.

- MM (Chibi PSP): Another marring of the original game.

Notice how it was only these games released initially for a Sony product that ever had censorship, music changed or bad voice acting inserted. All Titles made for a Nintendo product kept the Japanese Voice acting and original music keeping the game's content pure. And even if you don't like reading subtitles there was still no excuse for such bad voice acting to be used. The American released of the MM and MMX Collections will forever be stained by Sony's regionalization team for Capcom and for that I will never ever fucking forgive Sony. That's twelve fucking games soiled by Sony brand regionalization, TWELVE!!! I can only assume MMX5 and MMX6 were spared because Sony didn't give two shits about the series at that time after MMX4's underperforming (though still successful) sales.

Around the Network

Why are there no Crash Bandicoot fans here besides me when Crash Bandicoot is the 11th best selling franchise in the world???

The same reason there are no tomb raider fans despite its successful sales. I think everyone grew up.

No... It's because people have forgotten about the Playstation 1 days!!! I loved the Playstation 1 much better than the Playstation 2! I don't know why, but I just do. Playstation 2 is extremely mediocre for me. There are some fun games, but most of my better memories are with the original Playstation, when it comes to Sony consoles.

*sigh* Not that "grow up" argument again. >,

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

I can only assume that Crash was supposed to be the PS's alternative to Mario in the platform-adventure (Never played it, that's my guess.) First game came out, was decent enough to warrant a sequel. However, I guess the quality of titles slowly dropped, and Mario and others retook the plat/adventure genre again. And since Crash was spread way too thin, he eventually was dumped off to the B Game Hero's Hall.

vanguardian1 said:
*sigh* Not that "grow up" argument again. >,<

There was a previous "grow up" argument?

a.l.e.x59 said:

Okay, my first complaint is Star Fox Adventures. It's nothing like Star Fox 64... At all... Except for the mini games, in between levels, but those were nothing. And then Star Fox Assault (or, Star Fox Insult) was even worse. You would have thought that games with better graphics would be better at everything else. Are developers relying too heavily on graphics? And then, Star Fox Command was even worse. Why can't we have a game that's more similar to Star Fox 64?

Console to blame: Gamecube.

My second complaint is Sonic. Ever since he went multiplatform, he just sucked. Sonic Heroes, and Shadow the Hedgehog, are two examples of Sonic games, from the last generation, that have been utter let downs. Why can't they stay true to the original formula? Why does Sonic Heroes, jump from being the most kiddish of all Sonic games, to Shadow the Hedgehog, and be the most violent? How hard is it to make a real 3D Sonic game? Why do they keep straying off? And what's with the million characters they have added? Who is Maria? She doesn't belong... At all! Dr. Robotnik (not Eggman; Damn my avatar!) should be the only human. Sonic and Tails should be the only playable characters.

Consoles to blame: Gamecube, Xbox, and Playstation 2

Did we ever get a true sequal to Donkey Kong 64? Nope. Instead, we got a bunch of music games. Yaye! What I always wanted instead of Donkey Kong 64 2. And how about Donkey Kong Jungle Beat? At least it's a descent platformer, but it doesn't have Rare's touch, that made the other Donkey Kong games so good!

Console to blame: Gamecube.

And who could forget Crash Bandicoot? Playstation's mascot. Yes, he was one of the greatest platformers of all time. Some say he was, at the time, Mario, and Sonic's equivilent. All has changed after Naughty Dog sold off the franchise. Seriously, what went wrong? Especially in Twinsanity, and Tag Team Racing. Who is Neena Cortex? She's hidious! And the fact that Crash Bandicoot went multiplatform is just an insult. Even worse, Crash of the Titans, Crash's latest game, isn't going to be released for the Playstation 3, even though Crash Bandicoot grew up on the Playstation. Yeah, that sure shows some respect to Sony. Whatever, it looks like an awful game anyways.

Consoles to blame: Gamecube, Xbox, and Playstaton 2

Spyro the Dragon... A franchise that often imitated, but never duplicated, Crash's fame on the Playstation. I will admit, his games were fun, although childish. Ever since the franchise moved to the next generation, his games were abysmal. You can't even burn the sheep anymore. When you try to, you end up talking to them. WTF?

Consoles to blame: Gamecube, Xbox, and Playstaton 2

Conker... Good o'l Conker... The only 3D platformer in existence, that was rated M for mature, sold over 1 million copies, and got average reviews of 80% or more. What happened? The exact same thing, that's what happened. Instead of making an entire new game, Rare just made an N64 port, with better graphics, onto the Gamecube. Yaye! I can play the same game, all over again!

Console to blame: Xbox

Banjo Kazooie. What ever happened to Banjo Kazooie? Nothing, that's what happened. There were two Banjo Kazooie games for the Nintendo 64. Why couldn't Rare make two for the Xbox? We should be getting Banjo Kazooie 5 on the Xbox 360. Did Rare do anything on the Xbox after it was sold to Microsoft?

Console to blame: Xbox

Pac-Man, one of the best arcade games ever! Although Pac-Man World was a descent game, Pac-Man World 2 wasn't as good, and Pac-Man World 3 was even worse. Well, I guess the yellow guy's glory days belong to the arcade days.

Consoles to blame: Gamecube, Xbox, Playstation 2

You think that's it? There's many other franchises that really sucked. Why? I have no idea.

I think more franchises have failed in last generation, than any other generation in video game history... Ever! What franchises did you think sucked, and why?

1. Starfox- Well I never played the one on the gamecube so I have no comment

2. Sonic- The games did go sour. Sonic was more of a 2d game. I dont think these games will ever be good. Since the 3D generation Sega has made some pretty crappy games. In my opinion they are good at 2D games not 3

3. Donkey Kong- I never played the music games but I played the old adventure games and I agree the should bring them back but I bet a lot of people liked his music games as well.

4. Crash Bandicoot- Its not anyones fault but the developers. Crash was one of the best selling games of all time and I never understood why they sold the licensines for that game. Now I do though (atleast I think I do). At the press conference for there new game for the PS3 they talked about how Crash was perfect for the PS1 because he was simple and easy to make. Once the PS2 came around they thought they could do more with the power and make a better game. They made Jak which was arguably better then Crash.

5. Spyro- Well this game was sold too. Once it was sold to a different company it just sucked. This game reminds me of Crash Bandicoot. I think they did the same thing that Naughty Dog did and since they work closely together I wouldnt doubt it.

6. Conker- Im not going to lie conker is my most favorite game of all time. I loved it on the Nintendo 64. When I played it on the Xbox I was dissapointed because some of the jokes got stale but I didnt think the game was that bad.

7. Banjo- Another great game. You cant say it went bad when no new game came out. Microsoft bought Rare and then right away they started on Conker and then moved to the 360. They are currently working on a new one so you cant say this franchise went stale.

8. Pacman- There was no point on making this game 3D. It was never ment for that. It was ment for the arcade and it should have stayed that way.

Anyothers because I would love commenting on them.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

They could have made a 3D Pac-Man that kept its ruits to the arcade original. I think they made a few before, but they could have done so much more today with the concept, instead of just turning the game into a platformer. Hey, I liked Pac-Man World. It was really challenging, and closer to 2D platformers than most other 3D games. Pac-Man World 2 was a little bit stale, though, and Pac-Man World 3 was worse. Oh well...

a.l.e.x59 said:
They could have made a 3D Pac-Man that kept its ruits to the arcade original. I think they made a few before, but they could have done so much more today with the concept, instead of just turning the game into a platformer. Hey, I liked Pac-Man World. It was really challenging, and closer to 2D platformers than most other 3D games. Pac-Man World 2 was a little bit stale, though, and Pac-Man World 3 was worse. Oh well...

old arcade games don't translate well to nextgen consoles. I mean, once you get to the root of pac-man, its a pretty dull game.