By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Maybe I should rename the question to, "What came first, the chicken, the egg, or the Eggman?"

Around the Network

"Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

This question is often asked, but rarely answered. Chickens come from eggs, and eggs come from chickens. You just can't say which came first, can you? The purpose of asking the question is usually to show that it is difficult to determine the origins of things. A feud between two families, or even two countries, can go on for generations and it is impossible to attribute it to any one event or action. Rising prices can be caused by workers demanding more money, but the workers demand the money because of the rising prices. Another 'chicken and egg' situation.

But to get back to the chicken, biology is in fact in a position to answer the question. We are all different from our parents. If you trace the ancestry of a humble chicken back through history and pre-history, tracing family trees, tracking down that elusive great-grandparent, you will eventually reach a point where the bird concerned can not be called a chicken. If you go back far enough, it is not even a bird. (Remember, the ancestors of birds were a type of reptile). So there must be a point where the chicken baby had two non-chicken parents. Let's call them protochickens. The protochicken mother laid an egg out of which hatched a chicken. The first chicken came from an egg, but that egg did not come from a chicken; it came from a protochicken.

The answer to the question is therefore:

The egg came first."

Answer taken from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2116577

However, this is only true if the theory of evolution is true. But, I belive that evolution is not true. Also, I think it says somewhere in the bible that when God made the first of each animal, they started life as adults. So if you believe evolution, the egg is your answer. If you believe God and the bible, then the chicken is your answer.

*b!tchslap* *alex goes down for the count*

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Square07 said:
The supposed animal that laid the egg that became the chicken, what did look like? I assume it's been discovered in the fossil record or you guys must be speculating, that's what it sounds like to me. What's the evidence for this pre-chicken creature? Can someone show me a picture of the pre-chicken fossils that laid this egg?

Still waiting for an answer... is there at least a name for the pre-chicken chicken that laid the first chicken egg as many have mentioned here?

"The next time someone tells you Compact Discs are the wave of the future, tell them the future doesn't belong to snails!" - Nintendo Power, April 1994

Square07 said:
Square07 said:
The supposed animal that laid the egg that became the chicken, what did look like? I assume it's been discovered in the fossil record or you guys must be speculating, that's what it sounds like to me. What's the evidence for this pre-chicken creature? Can someone show me a picture of the pre-chicken fossils that laid this egg?

Still waiting for an answer... is there at least a name for the pre-chicken chicken that laid the first chicken egg as many have mentioned here?

According to the articles listed, they call it a "proto-chicken"... 

Around the Network
weezy said:
*b!tchslap* *alex goes down for the count*

1185 posts?? dang,

Red Jungle Fowl - the animal from which the chicken desended, although human domestication is what really resulted in the modern chicked.

BTW: Humans selectivly breeding animals/plants is an excellent piece of evidence supporting evolution

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

GOD put the chicken on the earth. Then, from the chicken, came the egg. Many years later, Dr. Robotnik came. However, for no reason, they changed his name to Dr. Eggman. Thus, 1 egg contains 70% of the daily reccomended amount of nutrition stuff thing. Finally, Bacon.

sieanr said:
Red Jungle Fowl - the animal from which the chicken desended, although human domestication is what really resulted in the modern chicked.

BTW: Humans selectivly breeding animals/plants is an excellent piece of evidence supporting evolution

It only supports micro evolution not macro, when was the last time a human domesticated animal became another unrelated species?

And where in the fossil records is the proto-chicken, actual photos of the fossils I assume exist or it's just more speculation no evidence. Can someone post photos of the proto-chicken fossils or are there none?

"The next time someone tells you Compact Discs are the wave of the future, tell them the future doesn't belong to snails!" - Nintendo Power, April 1994

a.l.e.x59 said:
However, this is only true if the theory of evolution is true. But, I belive that evolution is not true. Also, I think it says somewhere in the bible that when God made the first of each animal, they started life as adults. So if you believe evolution, the egg is your answer. If you believe God and the bible, then the chicken is your answer.

What if you believe that God uses evolution. Think about it, if God created all, God also created all of the laws of physics and other 'natural' laws we have been able to demonstrate and theorize. Therefore God did not literally create all in 6 days as in Jan 1, Jan 2, etc, but in 6 spans of time.

Also, there are two different versions of creation in the Bible, one states people then animals, other states animals then people. Neither says animals were fully grown nor does it leave out evolution as a possible way to create the next being.

This all points to the idea that the Bible is not literal but a general scope of things. Yes God created all is all that is the point of Genesis. Via out of nothing or via through Evolution, well, Evolution seems to make more sense and is demonstrable. So my vote is egg from some pre-chicken ancestor and God created the path of evolution for the first modern chickens to be hatched.