By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What came first, the chicken or the egg?

DRJ said:
The first chicken came from an egg that was layed by an animal that was not a chicken. So the egg came first.

Agree completely :)

Eggs are a "simpler" (in biological terms) form of reproduction than say gestation in mammals. Its the only way that a "pre-chicken" would be born in the first place.

(note that "egg" doesn't have be a hard-shelled egg, like modern chickens came from - they could be eggs in the same way that fish lay eggs).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

egg, something almost a chicken laid it and a chicken came out

Andrew - That's not neccessarily (spell?) true. As evolution doesn't work like that. Take giraffes, for example. Giraffes used to ave short necks, but now they have long necks - evolution helped with that. Now, it doesn't mean that with each generation the giraffes neck gets taller. Basically, whilst the embryo was developing the mothers womb it would have had a genetic mutation, this particular mutation would have most probably have been on a dominant allele, and the mutation would have giving the giraffe a longer neck. At this time, there could have been a big growth in population on the number of giraffes, meaning that there would be more competition for food. However, as this mutated giraffe had a longer neck he/she will be able to reach the leaves on the higher trees. This meant that this giraffe was unlikely to die of starvation, and more likely to live and reproduce. As the effected allele was probably a dominant one, this would mean that the giraffe will certainly pass on the taller neck to its offspring. And so on. When scientists say that evolution is a gradual change, they don't mean gradual as in with each generation the giraffes neck gets taller. It means that in each generation a higher percentage will have the taller neck.

SamuelRSmith said:
a.l.e.x59 - ok then, considering dust is made out of dead skin and the likes, where'd he get the dead skin from? And why did he want to make dust, it's disgusting and it ruins the look on my PS3. And whered he get the idea of dust from?

Well, like I said, God made the dust out of thin air. And maybe it was made out of shaved rock particles. I don't know why he made dust, you woud have to ask God yourself, and it's ruining my PS3 too, and my N64, and my Colecovision, and my Genesis, and my Atari 5200, and my Xbox, and my PS2, since they're all black. Oh, and my Atari 7800.

dpmnymkrprez said:
a.l.e.x59 said:
Well, when God made Adam and Eve, they were grown ups to begin with. Remember, they were formed from dust. Therefore, when he made the chickens, I am sure they were grown ups to begin with. So, I guess the chickens came first. If God made the chickens out of dust, like Adam, and Eve, then I guess the dust came first, then the chicken, and then the egg.

If you want to get into symantics, Adam and eve were not created first, the bible and all other religions confimr this, The original bible was written in hebrew, the word god is derived from Elohim, Elohim in Hebrew , translates to "those who came from the sky"

Ps why does it have to be an egg, why can't it be e matter? or better yetwhy not the sperm before the chicken came first??

The answer is in front of you people

Actually, Adam and Eve are the first people. The only creatures before them are animals. Why not sperm? Because the question asks, "What came first, the chicken or the egg?" Not, "What came first, the chicken, egg, or sperm?"

Around the Network
Dolla Dolla said:
xstonexcold316x said:
a.l.e.x59 said:
Well, when God made Adam and Eve, they were grown ups to begin with. Remember, they were formed from dust. Therefore, when he made the chickens, I am sure they were grown ups to begin with. So, I guess the chickens came first. If God made the chickens out of dust, like Adam, and Eve, then I guess the dust came first, then the chicken, and then the egg.

leave religion out of this plz just go with the evolutionary threoy so tecinally the egg came first

DINOSUARS ARE THE BIRDS OF TODAY they just have feathers and there bones have become lighter

So, where did Dinosaurs come from?

God made them. By the way, I'm a Jehovah's Witness, in case you were wondering.

Remember, I abbreviated "chicken egg" to "egg," so the concept of dinosaur eggs doesn't work. I would edit the title of this thread, but I can't.

What I never understand is how people can say Adam and Eve were first, yet we have evidence that fish like creatures, small lizards and even dinosaurs existed before man.

SamuelRSmith said:
What I never understand is how people can say Adam and Eve were first, yet we have evidence that fish like creatures, small lizards and even dinosaurs existed before man.

Simple, religion makes people avoid available evidence and believe in fairy tales told in books passed down through generations that have no factual basis in reality. Religion is a sad thing.

The egg (not in the same way we think of a chicken egg today) came first from a chicken-like animal which underwent evolution through slight genetic variation and the chicken came out of that egg with the ability to produce eggs more similar to the ones we know today and so on and so on....

http://www.godlessgeeks.com/WhyAtheism.htm I read that article (it's a very long read, I'd just skim it if you're interested), and it said that having a God is not knowledge. A God's job is to fill void of lack of knowledge. The writer gave the example of the God that used to pull the Sun the around the earth on his chariot. We discovered that the Earth goes around that Sun (dispite what 13% of Americans think) thanks to a gravitational pull giving the appearance of the Sun going around the Earth. That void of knowledge was fillled, and suddenly there was no need for a God to do that. Interesting quote from the article: “Is it more probable that nature should go out of her course, or that a man should tell a lie? We have never seen, in our time, nature go out of her course; but we have good reason to believe that millions of lies have been told in the same time; it is, therefore, at least millions to one, that the reporter of a miracle tells a lie.” — Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason (1794)