By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii: Sony doubts longevity

The technology may be seen as step back for those already familiar with consoles but they are a tiny fraction of our planets population and there are millions upon millions yet to try a console and from what I am hearing many people that never even considered playing computer games are buying a Wii and of course DS I think you could only call it a step backwads if everyone possible had already experienced and grown board of what was previously available. My friend has just bought her son a GBA SP and he is so excited because he has never had any handheld console before.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Kytiara said:
I can't believe sony is claiming old tech never lasts considering the PS2 is selling way better than the PS3...

Well, they also claimed that they can sell 5 million consoles without any games.

True, I'd forgotten that PR people often live in their own worlds, especially the Sony ones lately...though nobody is exempt from that statement!

well if anyone doesnt like the nintendo content they 1. either dont like games or 2. are hatin on playa

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Isn't he also the one who offered in an EGM interview $1200 if you could find a PS3 sitting on a shelf?

Here's how I see it - At $200 (the cost of the console alone, at most), Nintendo could turn it into the new Gameboy, and release updated editions every 2-3 years. These would be backward compatable, but offer substantial upgrades at a reasonable price. So in 2010, when the price of all this hitech stuff the 360 and PS3 have paid a  premium for have dropped dramatically in price, Nintendo could probably get away with launching a more powerful Wii2.

I like my ps3, and the nintendo might be innovative, but i like the rumble feel, my ps3 when you move it with the motion it just seems like its missing something(it is )I forget that it doesnt have it and when I would play it i kept waiting for it to rumble like the wii mote. The wii mote rumbles differently thoguh, anyone notice that, its like a turning/thumping, different than last gen controller rumble agreed? What did Nintendo do differently in the wii mote?

Around the Network

The wii remote + the speaker WOW it just makes so much sense. Even with such a crappy speaker on the wii mote, it just multiplies the experience. Its like sound comes from everywhere. Playing Mario strikers, the wii remote speaker and rumble was awesome. And it doesn't shake it is more of a like boom. Kind of like the kick when batting. I really hope sony and microsoft add them to there controller too.

If "technology" (read processing power) was truely the most important thing for gamers few people would play games on any system except for the PC; companies like nVidia would be making more money than they could count by selling 8 Graphics cards with every system to ensure the maximum performance.

Time could prove me wrong, but I don't think that the extra processing power of the XBox 360 or PS3 will come into play that much in this generation.

2009. Keep your eyes on this year as it pertains to the PS3. This new mythology of Wii suddenly dropping off is just wishful thinking and desperate hope. Sony is shaken by Nintendo's success and it shows. If anything Wii may be the one who actually last close to 10 years. John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

I love that arguement that the Wii is only GameCube 1.5. Gameboy was much weaker than the Lynx, GameGear, and Nomad and it still manage to out sell them and out last them. I don't really think anyone is listening to this arguement any more. Unless you're a Sony fanboy.

Why is it a step back? Who else has motion controls? No one!!!

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

mancandy said:

I love that arguement that the Wii is only GameCube 1.5. Gameboy was much weaker than the Lynx, GameGear, and Nomad and it still manage to out sell them and out last them. I don't really think anyone is listening to this arguement any more. Unless you're a Sony fanboy.

Why is it a step back? Who else has motion controls? No one!!!

Let the church say Amen. "Amen."

It goes back to even before Nintendo.

Check out another such console war called Atari 2600 vs. Mattel Intellivision

(hint: Intellivision was the 1st 16-bit console and had lush graphics for its time)

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!