By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Christmas 2008 is going to be one for the ages

Oh yeah. Cmas is going to be ridiculous. GTA, MK Wii and Wii Fit will continue to have huge sales over the holidays (along with MGS4 and SSBB to a lesser extent), but having them launch early just opens up more sales for other games. After seeing the huge breakthrough successes of Assassin's Creed and COD4 this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see another franchise break through for the HD consoles this holiday.

There's a lot of games that people aren't mentioning though, which could be major hits. With the Wii Wheel established and less competition on the HD consoles, Need for Speed could be massive again this year. Given their current love of Sonic, Sonic Unleashed could sell 1M on Wii in Europe alone. The third fourth-gen Pokemon game could be out. Mario Party 9. The first major batch of Balance Board games. The potential for Rock Band to break through like Guitar Hero III did. Guitar Hero IV, which will almost certainly pull out all the stops. Spore. Animal Crossing Wii could open with 1M sales in Japan. Wii and DS continuing to reach new heights in hardware sales without price drops.

Let's just say it isn't going to hurt this year much if Resistance 2 or Banjo 3 get delayed to 2009.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

I'm a little interested in seeing the first weeks of January. I think we could see a post-holidays spike in WiiFit sales once the New Years Resolutions of weight loss start affecting sales.

Let's just say it isn't going to hurt this year much if Resistance 2 or Banjo 3 get delayed to 2009.

No way R2 should be delayed. Sony can't go from having KZ2 and R2 come out this year to neither.

Christmas came early this year.

Nintendo's owning PS360's Christmas 2007 in May.

Christmas 2008 will be complete and utter Nintendomination, of the Wii Fit status.

Click for full size.

PS3 and 360 will have a great chrismas and year all around wii will sell for the casual gamers as always even with nothing good comming out for it =/

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

Hardware or software?

It's too early to tell. I'm going to wait until E3 for any surprise announcements and for possible delays (I'm looking at you Banjo!) Wii is driving the industry, so I wonder what big casual title they'll release in Q4.

Hi there.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Video_Game_Sales - A wiki for video game sales figures

Around the Network

we need to wait for E3 to fully understand the full offering of each console-maker. While both M$ and Sony have great line-ups, im sure Nintendo
has something big for the holidays (please be Kingdom Hearts 3!!)

Proud member of the Fierce Fox Force.

"I strike spurs onto my Wii controller. And against Sony and MS I fling myself,
unvanquished and unyielding. 'O Wii!!!"

-The Nintendian Philosophy

Multiplats of glory: Fallout 3, Farcry 2, Heist, Star wars force unleashed, Legendary, Just Cause 2 + More

Xbox360: Banjo 3 , Gears 2, Fable 2, Halo wars, Left 4 dead (valve = greatness), Splinter cell conviction, Too human, Velvett assassin,

PS3: Heavy rain, R2, LBP, Socom.. I didnt count haze because it came out in june.. someone help me out here?

Hey actually we need a multiplatform sticky in gaming that has pictures of all the multiplat games coming out that show promise, pretty please? Too much attention is given to exclusives and not enough for multiplat games!

Tease.

Going over the list for Christmas sounds great....but number 1 that i am counting on is WKS. To fill in the void for JRPG's over the holidays.

Big 360 (exclusive) hits: Halo Wars, BK3, Gears 2, Fable 2, Too Human

Big PS3 (exclusive) hits: Resistance 2, White Knight Chronicals, LittleBigPlanet, SOCOM: Confrontation, Motorstorm 2, Tekken 6, and don't forget about 8 days. Plus, Home is launching...hopefully.

Metal Gear Solid 4 and Grand Theft Auto 4 will have the best legs going into xmas.

PS3 has the edge in software I think, on top of the fact that lots of PS3s will still be being sold as blu-ray players, as nothing else will be better for the price.

EaglesEye379 said:

From Wikipedia:

Call of Duty 5 will be the fifth installment of the series (ninth, counting expansion packs) and was confirmed on December 2.[4] It is expected in Fall 2008 and will be available on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, DS, as well as on PlayStation 2 and PC.[5][6]

Thats why it will be lousy - no offence to wii. but offence intended to PS2 and DS.

Making games for PS2 after the previous one was for PS3 is taking a step backwards. Theres no explanatin needed for the DS.