By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Little Big Planet: Why the hype?

... I actually had the same question this morning... WTF is this game about.

The first 3 trailers I saw were level building (high speed)... so I thought of a sim type of game....
Then I saw a trailer with 4 bagmen running and thought it was a platformer.
Now you guys say it's a racer... looked slow and confusing at times to me.

I don't think the game will rock, for the sole reason that user content needs a real following and even tough there are great building tools, this is on a console, it will be long and tiresome to build levels worthy of attention... people will try it once but shortly that will stop.

(on a side note about the physics... I saw on a trailer a bagman with a long cape. It rested on the ground and droped of edges all right... but when it hanged in front of them, other bagment just went tru it as if nothing happend , same for moving objects, they had no effect on the cape.... felt a bit half thought out to me and shows a physics engine that isn't complete)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Because it's bringing something thats been on PCs for ages but is doing it in a much more accessable way... and it's the type of game niche fans love to hype up and give unrealistic projections about.

See Zack and Wiki.

Problem with that is you arent also seeing Nintendo, who couldnt care less about their third paries. Sony will advertise the living hell out of this game, plus every reviewer I listen, read and talk to is excited for it.

It wont do amazing in america, but a million before the end of the year in NA isnt crazy, adding in Europe should push that number higher.

and hep, what your talking about isnt a physics engine, thats just graphics and textures interacting with each other. Building a structure out of blocks and then that structure collapsing on itself in real time, realistically is a physics engine. 

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

because it's going to be awesome.

I'm really excited for it and playing through levels in side-scrolling goodness. Nearly everybody I've shown it to has liked it.

@Emmi: Problem with that is that your statement is completely incorrect.

OT: Think about it as an imagination game. You can create unique ways to get through the levels, yes, but the story mode is actually just a small side portion that was 'tossed in there' a 'la Brawl's Subspace Emissary mode. The real meat is just the ideas you can come up with.

Feel like taking a bunch of blocks, building a rock'em sock'em robot, and duking it out with a friend? Go for it. Or maybe you just feel like making a catapult and hurling yourself into walls .

I can't wait for this game

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network
NeoRatt said:
kingofwale said:
NeoRatt said:
I haven't quite got it neither. It looks really interesting but I question whether it will sell well. To me, it could be another Viva Pinata. Great game, great concepts, but many people may not relate.

the reason VP failed on xbox was not because of the game itself, the game is great, but with absolutely 0 hype and xbox's mininal casual market, it just didn't sell.

but LBP is different, with easy to make courses, I personally will go online weekly to download new tracks made by other people. I hope they have "Most popluar" list of new maps, Man, it'd be great.

Yes, I'll agree there are many actual differences, but I'm not sure the result won't be the same.

Personally, I'm very interested, but don't really know how much I'd play it. A lot like I felt about Viva Pinata... I ended up playing many hours of it and enjoying it. I hope it is the same for LBP.

I have to agree with you NeoRatt that LBP might be revolutionary but still fail due to implementation. Unlike your experience with VP, I became bored after a few hours.  VP was supposed to be this really groundbreaking game, but I found that the play became stale after a short time, the pace was too sluggish, etc. Great concept, poor implementation. Time will tell whether LBP suffers the same fate or actually hits the mark.

TRUE STORY

I asked my "friend" the BIG PS3 games coming out.He rattled off a couple and said Little Big Planet. I asked "what is that?" He said "I have no clue, but I heard its gonna be TOUGH BAY-BOY" After that moment, I was thinking to myself, why would a game based on that TV show with Midgets (little people) be a PS3 seller?

Now I know what the game is about though (through research of course!)

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

title should be why the lack of hype.... seriously this game deserves it more than shitty games like killzone 2 IMO

|_emmiwinks said:
Kasz216 said:
Because it's bringing something thats been on PCs for ages but is doing it in a much more accessable way... and it's the type of game niche fans love to hype up and give unrealistic projections about.

See Zack and Wiki.

Problem with that is you arent also seeing Nintendo, who couldnt care less about their third paries. Sony will advertise the living hell out of this game, plus every reviewer I listen, read and talk to is excited for it.

It wont do amazing in america, but a million before the end of the year in NA isnt crazy, adding in Europe should push that number higher.

Every reveiewer was excited about Z&W too.  There were even "buy Z&W campaigns."

I don't see how advertising is really going to do anything without the casual apps out there first.  I don't see casuals willing to spend 460+ dollars to try out a new IP in a genre that's almost completely new to them because the little sack guys are cute looking.

Kasz216 said:
|_emmiwinks said:
Kasz216 said:

See Zack and Wiki.

Every reveiewer was excited about Z&W too. There were even "buy Z&W campaigns."

I don't see how advertising is really going to do anything without the casual apps out there first. I don't see casuals willing to spend 460+ dollars to try out a new IP in a genre that's almost completely new to them because the little sack guys are cute looking.

Except Zack & Wiki wasn't really a "casual" game. It had poor marketing, and if you didn't know what the game was about, it could look pretty awful just from the boxart alone. It's like an oyster: You must open its shell to find the pearl.

LittleBigPlanet is the perfect game for Europe. There are plenty of casuals, it looks like a Disney movie, and let's face it, if sales are disappointing, Sony would bundle it in a heartbeat.

Will it be a casual craze like Wii Fit? No. But will it be a success and a highly concentrated pack of creative genius and fun that can possibly last for years? I don't know, I don't know. Maybe.