By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft is celebrating a GTA 4 victory in the UK

taken from an MDF gaming site videogamer.com

"""Microsoft is confident that gamers prefer the acclaimed title on its platform.

Microsoft is celebrating a GTA 4 victory in the UK, with over 100,000 more units of the game having been sold in week one for Xbox 360 than PlayStation 3. Chart-Track data reveals week one sales of the game totalled 514,000 units on Xbox 360, compared to only 413,000 units on PS3."""

the above comment, dont you think that is SPIN? there is no way the ps3 version will outsell the 360 version in the uk, simply because there are roughly i may be wrong but 700k-800k more 360`s in the uk.

i love that jibe videogamer.com make on the playstation 3 version "only 413,000 units on PS3."

the question is, what would make a victory for sony or microsoft on the gta4 issue? or are sony and microsoft banging on about nothing, thus should move on?

no rants please

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

You're right, there's 2 million 360's in the UK and roughly 1.2-1.3 million PS3's.
Sony moved more hardware and attach-ratio wise, the PS3 version sold far better. I'm not surprised MS ignored that.

for god's sake, there's nothing for Microsoft to celebrate!!

can't they realise that, this is because more people own an xbox360 than a ps3??

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Leni said:

can't they relealise that, this is because more people own an xbox360 than a ps3??

yes thats exactly what im thinking, its spin thats all.

of course its good for microsoft to have another heavy selling game on thier system, but to say 360 version sold more because consumers are choosing the 360 to play gta4 over the ps3 is a lol lie.

i bet fat-cat-board members for microsoft and sony sit in thier meetings all day and think up of dribble statements to give to the press, and get paid enormous 40% tax bracket wages to come up with that stuff lol. il come up with press statements for them il only charge 300quid a week!

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Like it or not, this is the kind of topic that will start a lot of rants...

Also, the discussion that could happen in here is so obvious that I don't know why you bother making a forum topic on this info.

First of all, why would microsoft care...they make minimal profit on a Rockstar released game. Secondly, they are looked at as a dominant console in the UK so why would they bother letting everyone know again.

I see them yelling like this if it happened in Japan but no need to do it in UK.

In any case...flame suit is on.

Around the Network

Microsoft sould be celebrating just to get GTA 4 on multi Platforms

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

It's a hollow celebration at best. Good for them, they sold lots of copies of a game that was already going to be successful. But then, their console which costs nearly half the amount failed to outsell a £300 (or £320 for the bundle) console. Bravo indeed.

Hmm, pie.

Leni said:

can't they realise that, this is because more people own an xbox360 than a ps3??

That's not true.  MS is celebrating the fact that a previously Sony-exclusive franchise got most of its sales on the Xbox 360.  Attatch ratios be damned, this has to get companies releasing Sony exclusives thinking.

It's a false celebration... but c'mon both these companies are expending multiple millions on the games industry, they're going to spin every piece of info they can.

Do you really think he's going to say...

"Well, thanks to launching 18 months early (with the slight issue that our haste introduced a critical design fault in our console that's going to cost us a $1 Billon at some point) and gaining a larger installed user based LTD (admitedly at a slower pace than the PS3 seems to be building a similar install base in the UK) we were able to generate more games sales units (at a smaller attach rate admitedly) of GTA IV on 360 than PS3 saw. The difference wasn't massive, and given our console is much less expensive it was maybe a little disappointing that we only saw a similar uplight in console sales to the more expensive PS3, but nonetheless Rockstar did make slightly more money on 360 than PS3 in UK (so far anyway)."

Doesn't sound so good that way does it? BTW before anyone flames Sony do just the same thing and are just as selective with what they quote and how.

These guys only care that the general idea gets out the game is better on a 360 - they don't care how or why (ditto for Sony).

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

@BigFatJ your correct

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)