By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan: First Day Sales (RE4:Wii, 30k)

Now that I see the RE doesn't sell all that well in Japan, I have a quick question: does anyone know of any violent games that sell particularly well in Japan? First Person Shooters, Survival Horror, GTA / Sandbox games -- none of these sell in Japan. Are they just uninterested in violent games?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

FPS don't do well in Japan unless they carry the Gundam name or something (i guess we'll see one is coming out for Wii on July 26th), Resident Evil sells well but survival horror generally doesn't. GTA has actually sold pretty well (around 400k), but other sandbox games haven't. Overall it's just about brand name and appeal toward Japanese tastes rather than genre.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

StarcraftManiac said:

And Hot shots did TOO WORSE! JUST TOO FUNNY! 2k!!!

Some Sony fanboys did even dare to say that this and NGS would be the resurection of the PS3 in Japan!

Lol! Just look at the numbers!

LOL

just to funny, good old bs fud.

PS3 Minna no Golf 5 Japan: July 31, 2007 (just so you know lol)

I'm kind of interesting in what Folksoul will do for the PS3 in Japan, am I right in saying that it's coming out overf there this month? It looks to be the best Japanesy game out there for the PS3, plus it also has great graphics (me brain like colours) and great use of the SIXAXIS. I'd say this will sell more systems in Japan than HSG (if HSG actually sells any at all).

It's not a flop at all, I'm surprised it did so well on the launch day, interested to see how it does the rest of the week. I expect decent sales much higher than the 80k lifetime prediction. Guilty Gear getting some love on the Wii :) there is a god lol Two games I can't wait to get on the Wii.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
kber81 said:
DKII said:
There's almost a million PS3 users in Japan that will buy up the game in droves too don't forget. It's not like it's selling only to new PS3 buyers. I do agree that it won't move many systems though. What kind of bump did Gundam give PS3 hardware? I'm too lazy to look it up. :P

Gundam. Yes, that was really disappointing. IMHO this game will sell more than 150k PS3's.

Edit:

@rocketpig

I think price isn't a reason of poor sale of PS3 in Japan. It's lack of games for broad audience.

I have to completely disagree although you are entitled to your opinion.  HSG does not have a history as a system seller even on a cheap system.  The only time there was a big impact on system sales was the week it debuted on PS1 with a horse racing game that sold 1,000,000 in that week so i doubt the raise was due to hot shots (sold around 200k that week can't remember exactly). 

I'm just afraid you're setting yourself up for a big dissapointment when you see the actual sales, especially hardware. 

wait is that guilty gear the one on the PS2 or Wii? I guess it must be the one on PS2.

Bodhesatva said:
Now that I see the RE doesn't sell all that well in Japan, I have a quick question: does anyone know of any violent games that sell particularly well in Japan? First Person Shooters, Survival Horror, GTA / Sandbox games -- none of these sell in Japan. Are they just uninterested in violent games?

RE usually sells well in Japan, just not a remake of a recently published game.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

kber81 said:
diegomoroco777 said:
FF I Anniversary Edition on PSP 100k sold, with a far bigger userbase. And I thought it was a remake? And Hot Shot Golf won´t be a system seller, cant you accept it?. Though I have to agrre after checking some stuff that I will sell decently. Probably more than Resistance and Ridge Racer 7.

Probably more than Resistance?... and Ridge Racer 7?... I think you should check some stuff more. Anyway, Hot Shot's Golf 5 will be a massive success. Mark my words. Massive. I don't like to look like Washimul (shockwaves etc.) but I do believe this game suits Japanese gamers more than anything so far. It's totally casuals friendly game. Maybe I'm wrong but I have really high expectation regards this particular game. 500k in Japan alone. Yes, you can flame me right now but I do believe this game will change many things.

@ shams

Add one more title to your countdown

kber, i don't really know about hot shots golf, but i can't imagine that such a title sells such an expensive hardware, especially when you say it's the casual gamers who are buying it...

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

In case I didn't mention it, I'm expecting about 300K sales for Everybody's Minna no Hot Shots on PS3. More than Gundam, but still very low sales compared to what the franchise has done in the past.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.