By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is PS3 killing the standalone Blu-ray player?

Blu-ray disc sales are way up over last year (351 % over the first 3 months)
http://www.tvpredictions.com/blusales041808.htm

Tells me that disc sales are picking up nicely. Looks like the PS3 is being used as a player quite a bit (I know I do).

Around the Network

crappy economy + gas prices through the roof + price of food going up, yep I can see why blu ray sales have slowed down.

The ps3 is the fastest loading Blu-Ray player on the market, and it is one of the few that supports Profile 2.0. Given the current pricing of standalones, and the fact that the ps3 can do SO MUCH MORE than a standalone, it makes perfect sense that consumers are choosing ps3s instead of standalone players.

I used to post on AVS and HighDefDigest quite often, and many people on these sites bought ps3s simply because they were the cheapest player back at the start of all this. Most didn't plan on keeping the system very long, as it was just a hold over until standalone players dropped in price. Yet as time went by and the ps3 was continually being updated, with more and more new features appearing every few months, many of these same people who had serious reservations about owning a "games console" gradually came to see it as one of the best pieces of electronics that had ever purchased, as it continually increased in value over time. Once DTS-MA was added with the latest firmware, the ps3 was finally complete in their eyes, as that was the only feature that it was missing compared to certain other standalones (which were also missing certain features compared to the ps3).

The ps3 is the most complete, versatile, and futureproof Blu-Ray player on the market, and it's still one of the cheapest. It is the #1 choice amongst consumers, and the guys at Best Buy pushing the system at every turn certainly is helping sell any standalones, lol.

those who think that GENERAL consumers are buying a PS3 over a stand alone are kidding themself.

It is just price people way to expensive.

I myself only watch dvds etcc on standalone players so I am waiting for a price drop.

yes because a ps3 is cheaper than a stand alone and all the employees at the store when they ask about blu ray players just get ignored, because what do they know about that stuff right?

Around the Network

Too new, too costly, not enough titles etc. The reasons are many but will disappear more and more in 1-3 years.