By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Math Question

Are these triangles congruent?

Around the Network

Yes.

im to tired to do math lol. and i dont know what "congruent"(ahh the problem of not having english as the first language) sorry for the lack of vocavulary

It means they are the same, (but it has been awhile since I have done Math). I wish those sides were labelled... anyways. I will label them for you since I can't think of a way to explain this without confusing the hell out of you. the triangle on the left we will call TRI A The other one will be called TRI B In TRI A the short side will be called a, the hypotenuse b and the remaining side c. In TRI B the sides will be labelled similarly d e and f Ok now that that's done. Side c and side f have 2 lines running through them meaning that they are the same in length. The same number of lines means that they are the same. Side a and d have the same situation only with one line running through them. Since we know that side a, and c are the same as d and f, therefor, side b and e must be the same

DarkD said:
It means they are the same, (but it has been awhile since I have done Math). I wish those sides were labelled... anyways. I will label them for you since I can't think of a way to explain this without confusing the hell out of you. the triangle on the left we will call TRI A The other one will be called TRI B In TRI A the short side will be called a, the hypotenuse b and the remaining side c. In TRI B the sides will be labelled similarly d e and f Ok now that that's done. Side c and side f have 2 lines running through them meaning that they are the same in length. The same number of lines means that they are the same. Side a and d have the same situation only with one line running through them. Since we know that side a, and c are the same as d and f, therefor, side b and e must be the same

WTF does that mean?!

Around the Network

Yea by the end there I kinda saw that it was getting a little complicated. I put too much effort into it to not post it. But I started out complaining, I went on to labelling his pictures triangles and then onto answering his question in great detail from my confusing information that I gave him earlier. If you don't have a head for math or are only 14 or something you may have difficulty following along but I believe I gave an accurate answer.

Probably. If they aren't, they were drawn really badly, but SSA isn't enough to prove them congruent.

They are totally congruent, the ||, and the | running through 4 sides is enough so that we know the 5th and 6th side are the same as well. If 2 sides of the new triangle are KNOWN to be the same as 2 from the original triangle than the 3rd side from them have to be the same as well.

Andrew, are you doing your math homework in VGChartz? LOL.

DarkD said:
If 2 sides of the new triangle are KNOWN to be the same as 2 from the original triangle than the 3rd side from them have to be the same as well.

Only if they share one angle too. The right one is the easiest to spot here, though it's not marked as such.

I think it's pretty safe to say they are congruent, because of the right angle and the two sides. It might be a trick question, though.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.