By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii remote has hidden audio translator for future games??

Isn't EA's Boogie using a microphone? Though last I heard that one used the USB port, which would be odd if the Wiimote could handle the load.

Around the Network

Wasnt there suppose to be a game like Jeopardy coming out for the wii?? what happened to it? It was to have a voice activation or something, Now that you mention it there were suppose to be a first person shooter in the style of goldeneye, but you were suppose to hols the wiimote to your ear(each person would have a different objective on their mission and you wouldnt know what it was.

I can't see them using the usb port. what are they going to have a 10 foot cord? It needs to attach to the wiimote, or use one of the remaining 3 unused bluetooth channels in the wii. (bluetooth always as 7 channels, 4 are being used by the wiimotes.)

I have always said that it didn't make sense that the Wiimote didn't have a "mic" - after all, a speaker is basically a crappy mic (if you reverse wire the speaker to sample vibrations coming in).

Well, well - guess what this chip would do. Either that, or a very simple mic to be plugged into the bottom of the Wiimote.

It would be a pretty cool surprise - imagine if 6 months AFTER launch Nintendo reveal new info about the hardware. That would have to be complete first. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Here we go, another four $19 Wiimote extensions I'll soon have to buy!

Another question, do you think there is a technical limitation to how many Wiimotes one Wii can handle? Why not allow 5 or 8 remotes if it makes sense for the game?

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Around the Network
reverie said:
Here we go, another four $19 Wiimote extensions I'll soon have to buy!

Another question, do you think there is a technical limitation to how many Wiimotes one Wii can handle? Why not allow 5 or 8 remotes if it makes sense for the game?

That guy up there just said "or use one of the remaining 3 unused bluetooth channels in the wii. (bluetooth always has 7 channels, 4 are being used by the wiimotes.)"

I think I heard this somewehre else too, so it might be true. I guess 7 would be the limit (possibly + 4 GC controllers)

z64dan, superchunk,

Oops, somehow I had overlooked that. My bad! Wikipedia says

"A master Bluetooth device can communicate with up to seven devices. This network group of up to eight devices is called a piconet."

Wikipedia also says that this limit can be expanded, but that seems a bit too abstract for me.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

z64dan, Regarding the GC controllers: We tried playing Bomberman '93 with 5 people the other day because I thought I had read that you can play it with 5 people using one (or more) GC controller(s). Unfortunately it didn't work. The GC controller was always controlling one of the players 1 to 4 (concurrently with the Wiimote), depending on to which port the GC controller was connected. It was kind of fun, for a while. I later found out that you have to hold R on the GC controller while Bomberman boots if you want to assign it to control player 5. Not exactly intuitive. That's why I asked for the possibility of more Wiimotes.

if Nintendogs on wii thatks to teh mic i wish they can tell teh differance between Sit ans Shake

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"

Nintendo might also be making a wiimote phone: http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/games/gamecube/wii-phone_incoming Looks pretty awesome!