By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart Wii (cheap gameplay)

windbane said:
Gnizmo said:
Ajax said:
that is only right if your the only good player on the track brawl4life and the rest are n00bs cause if there are even just one or two other good players, the moment you get nuked so heavily 2nd and 3rd will take over.. so you can stay behind the number 1 waiting for it's imminent doom.. anyway, I need to play this game much more myself before I can comment better about it..

If you are in a race of people with equivalent skill then yes this can be true. Notice the disclaimer though. The more skilled racer will always win. The claim I am disputing is the game is too random and skill is not the ultimate determining factor.

It is absolute bullcrap that the person with the most skill always wins. If people are close in skill it can often come down to luck. You can constantly be trailing a guy for 2 and a half laps and all the sudden that person gets nailed by blue turtle shells and you win. It's been that way for several karts. I have heard from several souces that this Wii version has more ridiculous rubber-banding. brawl4life: yeah, I miss the custom items in DD...

If you are closely trailing him rather than having him increase his lead you are of equivalent skill clearly. Your laptimes would be identical, and the only real difference is he got an early lead.

I have heard from several sources that MK:Wii cures cancer. The rubber banding is no worse than ever.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

Gnizmo, I get what you're saying about skill, but I also agree that skill isn't the ultimate determining factor. Like I said, I sometimes have a stroke of bad luck. That doesn't mean it comes a whole bunch of time. But I think that the experience some people have varies. There will be times when absolutely nothing happens to me during a race, even while cruising first and there will be times when I'll be pummeled with items. I was just trying to add to the discussion, not trying to complain. I was just saying that sometimes there's a bit of luck that goes into the game as well as the player's own skill. I'm guessing you're incredibly skilled. I'm enjoying this discussion, though.

As much as I like VGChartz, I must be honest. I'm not too interested in the community. Most (I'd say a good 70% of the people here) are too caught up in the fanboyism and politics of gaming, and are mostly just people waiting to ravenously insult another user on the forums. I tried participating in the forums but rather than discuss it seems most of you would rather tear other people down. Why is it necessary to insult everyone who thinks differently than you? Also, not everything here is a fanboy conspiracy. I see the word fanboy here than I do on most forums out there. I'm sorry, I don't want to be a part of a community that's so negative towards everyone all the time. I'd rather go to a place where the people of a forum are more willing to discuss and step away from personal attacks any time someone disagrees with them. I just can't take it anymore.

So I ask, respectfully, that you don't add me. I'll more than likely respond to respectful messages but don't count on me being on the forums too much and don't count on me accepting your friend request.

There is only 1 item that is first place specific and that is the blue shell, everything else will happen to at least the 3 or more racers behind you if not all of them (bar the one who sent it)

If you are a good enough driver a single blue shell should not be enough to knock you from 1st to last as you would have been too far ahead of the rest by lap 3.

Yes at times you can be unlucky, like getting a blue shell as you are flying over a lava pit or something, but this is rare and it is not so much of a chore to do the race again should you fail to come in first.
Playing through single player myself there were only 5 cups I had to repeat to get a gold, and now I am better it is rare I don't finish with the full 60 points in any CPU GP.
Perhaps some people are not quite as good or are getting used to the Wii Wheel, but unless you are terrible you won't be repeating a cup many times at all to get gold.

Why does everyone want this game to be made easier or harder or both? Yes there is an element of luck going by the timings of the major items (blue shell/lightning at the wrong time can mean doom, but that is part of the game and does not happen any more than in Double Dash as far as I can tell) but if there was no element of luck then Rol would never have lost a race, and the newer players would never get any glory because they would always be last.

Arlando909 said:
Gnizmo, I get what you're saying about skill, but I also agree that skill isn't the ultimate determining factor. Like I said, I sometimes have a stroke of bad luck. That doesn't mean it comes a whole bunch of time. But I think that the experience some people have varies. There will be times when absolutely nothing happens to me during a race, even while cruising first and there will be times when I'll be pummeled with items. I was just trying to add to the discussion, not trying to complain. I was just saying that sometimes there's a bit of luck that goes into the game as well as the player's own skill. I'm guessing you're incredibly skilled. I'm enjoying this discussion, though.

Good luck can always help you win. Bad luck will not always cause you to lose. You can overcome item variables with enough skill is my only point. The reason I jump on you is because it seemed like a good springboard to discuss the difference between someone who can beat the game and someone who has spent time mastering it. I just get frustrated at the over reaching claims other people make. If the game had no skill then there wouldn't be that guy who can whoop your ass everytime he plays.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

That's why I love MK - You can always laugh of yours or other ones misfortune.
Using blue and red shells are so rewarding to my spirit. =P

Around the Network

I have no problem with red turtle shells. I would sooner get rid of green turtle shells than red. Blue turtle shells have needed to go since they were added. An option to take them out would be nice.

Gnizmo said:
windbane said:
Gnizmo said:
Ajax said:
that is only right if your the only good player on the track brawl4life and the rest are n00bs cause if there are even just one or two other good players, the moment you get nuked so heavily 2nd and 3rd will take over.. so you can stay behind the number 1 waiting for it's imminent doom.. anyway, I need to play this game much more myself before I can comment better about it..

If you are in a race of people with equivalent skill then yes this can be true. Notice the disclaimer though. The more skilled racer will always win. The claim I am disputing is the game is too random and skill is not the ultimate determining factor.

It is absolute bullcrap that the person with the most skill always wins. If people are close in skill it can often come down to luck. You can constantly be trailing a guy for 2 and a half laps and all the sudden that person gets nailed by blue turtle shells and you win. It's been that way for several karts. I have heard from several souces that this Wii version has more ridiculous rubber-banding. brawl4life: yeah, I miss the custom items in DD...

If you are closely trailing him rather than having him increase his lead you are of equivalent skill clearly. Your laptimes would be identical, and the only real difference is he got an early lead.

I have heard from several sources that MK:Wii cures cancer. The rubber banding is no worse than ever.

If you say so. I'll reserve further judgement until I play more 150cc. I will say that not having 2-player Grand Prix is lame, as is not being able to do 2-12 player battle mode without teams. Playing Grand Prix isn't exactly the most exciting, but if I need to get a gold in something and another friend needs to get better, it would be nice to do both at once.

Get better at drifting.
When I'm in first I get hit with items.. but I still stay in first because they're so far behind :D

That was number 2 in the most annoying things in video games. Ever Mario Kart is like that the only one I have been able to conquer all is Mario Kart DS.

Former something....

I know exactly what you mean.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089