By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Some Questions about the 360.

I think you have all your answers. Just some more info though.

With regards to space, MS is pushing DL movies, and TV shows. If you want to take advantage of that, you might fill up more of your hard drive then you are expecting. Also, GTA4 for the 360 is going to have some large DLC. If you are interested in that game at all, you might want to take that into consideration. The 360 does not have a user replaceable HD like your PS3 does, so HD space considerations are a little more important up front. You can buy a MS HD if you want to upgrade, but they are pricey.

Also you don't need the wireless adapter that MS sells for way to much money, you can use one of these:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416826619&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=2661945678B01
The nice thing about that product, is it will work with anything. A PC, a PS2, GameCube, whatever. If you someday move your 360 into wired range, and was to run a different device wireless, you can.

Enjoy your purchase. I have both a PS3 and a 360 as well, and both offer some great games!

Around the Network

Is there any risk using 3rd party play and charge kits, or should I stay with M$ ones

I can get two play and charge kits from GAME for £20, which is quite a good deal for the official sets

Instead of getting a Play and Charge kit, just get some rechargable AA batteries. More useful, although the probably won't last as long as the official XBox360 battery packs. Plus, you can knock out 2 birds with 1 stone (use them with your Xbox360 and Wii controllers). I got 4 AA batteries, 4 AAA batteries and a charger for about $22.

And a word of warning. Using device that TheRealMafoo linked will take up another power plug. Considering you have 3 systems + TV + sound system (?) you might want to weigh the pros and cons of buying the official adapter, or using a wireless bridge. The official adapter is much more aesthetically pleasing, just freaking expensive (a rip-off at MSRP). I would recommend trying to find a deal for the official adapter online.

Machina-AX said:

Hi,

I'm seriously considering purchasing a 360 either at the end of the year or the start of next year, so at the moment I'm just carrying out some preliminary research so that I know exactly what I will need to buy when the time comes, so I can get everything at the same time and be ready to go.

To this end could some 360 owners please help me out by answering some of my questions. You don't have to answer them all, any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Just so you know - I live in the UK (not sure if that makes any difference to the answers) 

1 - I own a HD TV (42 inch, 1080p), which I use my PS3 and Wii on atm, and I will obviously want to get the most out of the 360 graphically. I already have a spare HDMI cable, so my question is: Is there any difference between the Elite and Premium consoles in respect of their HD capabilities other than that the Elite comes with a HDMI cable?
No
2 - Are there any other differences between the Elite and Premuim consoles other than the colour, the HDMI cable and the size of the Hard Drive?
I don't think so.
3 - I will be making use of Xbox Live for arcade games, additional content and mutliplayer. I'm quite a tidy person and I like to keep my PS3 Hard Drive uncluttered. Is 20GB sufficient space for my purposes? With the PS3 20GB is pretty much enough space for me, so are the sizes of games and downloadable content on the 360 the same size, roughly, as those on the PS3?
If 20 GB is enough for you on the PS3, then it will be enough on the 360.
4 - When it comes to Xbox live I will obviously need to go Gold. Can you purchase this via the 360 online? Or do you have to buy one of those cards I see for sale in computer stores?

Yes, you can via online.

5 - When it comes to internet access I will need to have wireless access. Am I correct in assuming this is not built into the 360? If so, is the official wireless adapter thing the best option?

There is no WiFi build in to the 360.

6 - I won't be wanting to use disposable batteries. I loath wasting money on them for my Wiimote. With this in mind is the official play and charge kit my best option here? Is everything included with it that will enable me to never have to buy batteries or anything else for my controller(s)?
I don't know I do not own the Play and Charge
7 - To all UK 360 owners. I obviously have concerns about the RRoD, but my mind will be at ease if I have an extended warranty. What is the current standard warranty period for both the Elite and Premuim consoles? If I wanted extended coverage where would be the best place to buy it from and do MS do their own extended warranty scheme?
Not in Uk
8 - Finally, is there anything I may have missed out that I will need to look into?
I don't think so.
To all PS3 and 360 owners, is there any other hardware/accessory feature (beyond those already mentioned) that I might use for my PS3 at the moment that is not included with the 360?

Thanks in advance to all who help me out.

btw a buyers guide with similar Q&As would be a great addition to the game guide thread ^^

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"
Around the Network
bobobologna said:
And a word of warning. Using device that TheRealMafoo linked will take up another power plug. Considering you have 3 systems + TV + sound system (?) you might want to weigh the pros and cons of buying the official adapter, or using a wireless bridge. The official adapter is much more aesthetically pleasing, just freaking expensive (a rip-off at MSRP). I would recommend trying to find a deal for the official adapter online.

True about the power supply, and taking another socket. As for ascetically pleasing, the 3rd party device can be hidden, the MS has to connect to the 360. I am also inclined to think a good 3rd party adapter like the one I linked will have better range.

Skeeuk said:

regarding what ps3 has that xbox doesnt

• (...)
  • folding home

lol

Chrizum said:
Wow, great topic, as I am also thinking about purchasing an Xbox 360.

I have one more question though: do you need credit card for gold and for purchasing things on live? What ways are there to pay for gold and for games/downloadable content on live?
 No not at all. Go to your local games shop and you can purchase cards(like top up phone cards). Take them home input the number and wallah, you have gold for a year. Same goes for M$ points, you can buy 1600 points take it home do the same as before and start buying your DLC or Arcade games right away.