By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anti-Wii "Month" continues. Enter Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/2008/05/02/wii-grand-theft-tech-personal-cx_bc_0502wii.html

How Grand Theft Auto IV Threatens The Wii
Brian Caulfield, 05.02.08, 6:05 PM ET

BURLINGAME, CALIF. -

Since the launch of the Nintendo Wii videogame console in November of 2006, the Japanese videogame company had not missed a beat. That is, until the release of Grand Theft Auto IV this week.

The rest is in the link.   Mainstream media fails once again.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

Forbes Fails!!!

We are Wii....Waiting for Pikmin 3! and Pikmin 2 NPC...

Playing:

- Donkey Kong Country Returns

- Minecraft!

-  Venezuela FTW!       

Why do they fail? Unlike some of the other rants of last week this was well written and didn't make any predictions of doom for the Wii. I think it is hard to argue against what was said in the article.

Kyros said:
Why do they fail? Unlike some of the other rants of last week this was well written and didn't make any predictions of doom for the Wii. I think it is hard to argue against what was said in the article.

It wasn't well written at all. It was a typical "Nintendo will lose because doesn't have HD graphics" statemente that has been proved that it doesn't matters.

I found funny that just before GTA and Wii fit were about to be released, everybody started to talk bad about Nintendo. Why are they so hostile against them? what are they afraid of? It seems weird and fishy.

And of course you won argue against it. All your comments about wii are always negative.  Therefore, this kind of articles are written for people like you: narrow minded hardcores.

Well if Halo didn't stop the wii,what makes them think that GTA can?

Around the Network
ctk495 said:
Well if Halo didn't stop the wii,what makes them think that GTA can?

Gta>Halo , but gta did minimum to the wii sales if anything. 

Its interesting that all these anti-Wii articles come out right before the only game that could help the PS3 and 360 win a week in console sales.

I don't understand the point of the article, it went on to discuss Nintendo's past in the gaming market yet provide no evidence of how this will damage the Wii.

Brawl FC: 2106-1814-5245

Kyros said:

Hard to argue?  Actually, it's rather easy.

Let's start with the title.

How Grand Theft Auto IV Threatens The Wii

This suggests that Wii is somehow in financial danger due to GTAIV.   To suggest this is to fail at understanding why Wii is popular and the differing markets between Wii and GTAIV.   It's like suggesting a new triple layer chocolate cake is threatening the vanilla ice cone industry.

Next is the blurb I quote for my post.

Since the launch of the Nintendo Wii videogame console in November of 2006, the Japanese videogame company had not missed a beat. That is, until the release of Grand Theft Auto IV this week.

Basically a reiteration of the title.  GTAIV will some how threaten the sales of Wii.

But the game is a bust for Nintendo (other-otc: NTDOY.PK - news - people ): not a single copy of the game will be played on the Nintendo Wii.

This is an attack on the Wii itself and again a failure to understand the differences between Wii and its market and GTAIV and its market.

The problem is, it could get tougher and tougher to go the other way.

Let's just fail some more to understand the markets, shall we?  We're failing so well already, why stop now?

The advantages of the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 go beyond just rich, immersive games.

He follows this with a Pachter quote without context.  It's just looking at one side of coin again.  Not everybody likes tails, some like head.

But Grand Theft Auto IV may have just given a new lease on life to the Playstation 3.

This suggest he believes the PS3 and Wii are in direct compeition.  Hmmm, don't you PS3 fanboys always suggest the opposite?  So which is it?   Oh, I know.  The Wii and PS3 only compete when it's to PS3 advantage...gotcha.   If it favors Wii....well, they aren't really competing.

Could Grand Theft Auto IV put a chink in the Wii's armor? Or will the Nintendo Wii continue to stomp the Playstation 3 and XBox 360?

An open ended question that could be answered with about 5 minutes of research.  Failed.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

RolStoppable said:
Hm, what if GTA IV fails to threaten the Wii's success? GTA is the biggest franchise that isn't on the Wii. If GTA IV can't "put a chink in the Wii's armor", nothing can. Then it's time to write the doomsaying articles for the 360 and PS3.

Yes, I know. This won't happen. Only Nintendo can be doomed, the others are always fine despite posting billions in cumulative losses for their current gen systems.

You and your facts are going to make people cry.