By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Some thoughts on the Playstation 4.

Sony should aim for something less ambitious than the PS3 - simply go for Multi Cell architecture, 1 Gig RAM, a fast GPU will lots of on-board RAM, fast Blu-Ray and a large HD - all this will be pretty cheap to put together in a few years time.

They should focus their R&D spend on the control system - Wii style controls but better.

I am largely platform agnostic. I fail to understand why some people get overly fanboyish about what is an inanimate piece of electronics that's obsolete even before it's launched, when there are far more important things to champion, such as preventing environmental destruction or preventing millions of people dying unnecessarily from illnesses. This fact however, doesn’t mean I am not someone who doesn’t enjoy gaming as a pastime (as I have done for the last 20 years) or doesn’t have a strong interest in how the market is evolving – hence my presence on this site.

Platforms owned – PC, DS, X-Box 360, PS3, PSP and Wii.

Around the Network

I just hope Green-ray won't delay the PS4.

Slimebeast said:
I just hope Green-ray won't delay the PS4.

....HAHAHAHA, you're funny.

I think Sony have learnt they're lessons , and I hope you guys have too.

Software is going to win next Gen.

Sony should release a console slightly less powerfull than the most powerfull console = cheaper than the most powefull console.

Invest like 3hundred million into releasing 10 first party AA-AAA exclusives in the first 2 years of the PS4's release.

Focous more on the casual gamer's market.

Putting the emphasis on the technology is a waste of time , Software win's generations.

Sony already confirmed CELL v2 for the PS4 in 2005.. the CELL v2 will have 4 PPUs and 32 SPEs.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

I don't know everything about technology (ie the cell, grapics cards, etc.)
but here's what I think Sony needs to do/have with the PS4, which won't be till AT LEAST 2011 at the earliest:

- Better launch line-up such as the new Gran Turismo or Killzone type game would be nice, or at least getting good games out earlier (first few months of release). Games sell systems, not high tech parts

- sub $400 price tag

- Probably Blu Ray disks still

- General improvements to the system (graphics, processor, etc)

- Something like Home to start out with, along with improved online, in game XMB from the get go.

- Backwards Compatablility with PS1/2/3. PS1 and PS2 games on the PSN (PS3 games is too much to ask, too large)

- Cheaper price, one model only like the wii (there've been 4 so far with PS3)

- Larger hard drive 200+ Gigabytes

- Did i mention cheaper price tag?

I think the importance of a good launch linup is huge. Maybe instead of just having resistance (great game, btw)...they will get a bunch of good games.

I think that 10 75%+ rated games from launch would be amazing. With 2-3 of those 10 being 85%+ rated.

Also a major series game like the future Gran Turismo or Final Fantasy would be amazing.

oh and did I forget something...oh yeah, NOT A $600 CONSOLE!!!
$400 at the absolute most SONY!!!!

Sony needs to take every step and do exactly what they did with the PS3 and apply it to the PS4. An insane amount of power & features with a big price tag.

I love the Blu-Ray, the design, the required HDD (With it being upgradable), the games... Everything about it, no complaints. I hope they stay with the tradition of buildling a beast of a machine

Microsoft should also keep doing what their doing...The only let down I have with the 360 is the 'optional' HDD, wish there was a HDD in every 360 :/ Besides that 360 rocks, awesome exclusive games

Nintendo should keep doing what they do, please the bigger casual market with a lesspower, cheaper console with some fun games

I don't think anything is wrong with this generation of consoles...They all win in my book...Its the end that matters, and in the end, RROD is fixed & PS3 gets its games ppl been waiting for.

I just hope I don't see a new console from them for 5 years, I really want to apreciate each one in the next few years, with developers tapping more into each consoles power (Wii excempt)

ssj12 said:
Sony already confirmed CELL v2 for the PS4 in 2005.. the CELL v2 will have 4 PPUs and 32 SPEs.

Awesome. I hope they improve internal memory management as well.

I hope they go for a slightly more innovative approach instead of just building a beast. And for heavens sake make it easy to develop for this time.