By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is this a fair prediction?

In three years time Wii will have sold roughly 120 million consoles worlwide by averaging 30 million consoles sold per year.

In three years time PS3 will have sold roughly 70 million consoles worlwide by averaging 20 million consoles sold per year.

In three years time XBox 360 will have sold roughly 50 million consoles worlwide by averaging 10 million consoles sold per year.

BTW: Lots of factors to be taken into consideration such as price cuts, exclusive games and industry growth. Just a stab in the dark. Who knows could be pretty close. In three years time the consoles will be into their 5th and 6th years respectively.

Please give me your projected numbers for these three consoles three years from now.

Around the Network

Guess no one is game enough to write down some projected numbers with some reasoning behind them.

I wasn't aware yours had actually reasoning. Here I was thinking you just pulled random numbers for the average out of the air.

Pretty hard to predict three years from now. Even predicting a year in advance is tough. Sales analysts have a hard job.

I'm not going to hazard a guess (though I'll definitely say Wii>100 million). But I do think it's somewhat wishful thinking that PS3 will somehow get more than half of Wii's sales.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

Your total average is 60 million consoles per year. That's far too much. Currently the sales rate is pointing at 45-47 million for all the 3 consoles, and that's already a 50% increase from last gen (which had on average of total 31 mill consoles per year; 18 mill for PS2, 6.5 mill for Xbox and 6 mill for Gamecube per year at a comparable time).

I think its wishful thinking that the wii will be at 120 mil in 3 years to tell you the truth.

3 years for me

Wii 85 mil
PS3 55 mil
360 40 mil

And yes, I do believe Wii's sales will decline, so don't ask why i project low Wii numbers ok. Give or take 5 mil to my numbers depending on what happens.

Slimebeast said:
Your total average is 60 million consoles per year. That's far too much. Currently the sales rate is pointing at 45-47 million for all the 3 consoles, and that's already a 50% increase from last gen (which had on average of total 31 mill consoles per year; 18 mill for PS2, 6.5 mill for Xbox and 6 mill for Gamecube per year at a comparable time).

Glad someone pointed this out....but I do think this number will go up a bit still due to the whole blue ocean strategy. In generations where the market expands it does so throughout the generation. The thing is blue ocean is the Nintendo strategy so its going to pick up a lot of that increase.

If I were to just rough guess it I would say that it will go like this on average for the next 3 years using 50M as a max each year:

Wii - 28M
PS3 - 13M
360 - 10M

With that pace, 3 years from today we have:

Wii - 108.54M
PS3 - 50.92M
360 - 48.35M

Very rough estimate but it doesn't sound unfeasible.  Check back on April 30th of 2011.

PS -

Rock_on_2008 said:
Guess no one is game enough to write down some projected numbers with some reasoning behind them.

You could have waited longer than 24 minutes.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Sqrl said:
Slimebeast said:

Glad someone pointed this out....but I do think this number will go up a bit still due to the whole blue ocean strategy. In generations where the market expands it does so throughout the generation. The thing is blue ocean is the Nintendo strategy so its going to pick up a lot of that increase.

If I were to just rough guess it I would say that it will go like this on average for the next 3 years using 50M as a max each year:

Wii - 28M
PS3 - 13M
360 - 10M

With that pace, 3 years from today we have:

Wii - 108.54M
PS3 - 50.92M
360 - 48.35M

Yes, any (more) increase will be Wii increase, because that's the sort of market we know the least about regarding sales potential.

I very much agree about PS3 13 mill and X360 10 mill. Average in coming three years 28 mill for Wii is an insane number, but who knows!

@Slimebeast,

The 28 I based on a quick glance at the FY report info...the PS3 and 360 were gut instinct =P. My Gut for the Wii was around 26-27M initially, I upped it due to the reports but I could see it coming down due to average.

Specifically Nintendo plans to increase production to 2.4M monthly and that means 28.8M yearly. You don't increase production like that unless you are planning long term (short term production increases are financially braindead maneuvers).  Honestly I felt it to be a somewhat conservative estimate in that light...but their estimates and projections could be off as well.

To Each Man, Responsibility