By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is GTA IV being hailed because its not Nintendo

This is MGS2 syndrome all over again. Reviewers caught up in the hype.

Around the Network

But there seems to be some group think going on with Grand Theft Auto IV.

LOL I think outside this forum nobody cares about Nintendo scores when reviewing GTA4.

God is dead, we killed him you and I, he was that minority on the street corner we shot to death while riding on top of a pick up truck with a purple dildo in one hand and a soviet assault rifle in the other... Oh shit! Now I have two stars!

The only weird thing to me is the discrepancy in professional and user average scores. I mean on IGN the average user score is like 9.3 or something, compared to 9.9 for the professionals.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Faxanadu said:
The only weird thing to me is the discrepancy in professional and user average scores. I mean on IGN the average user score is like 9.3 or something, compared to 9.9 for the professionals.

Pretty normal, thats nearly for every game different ;)

Around the Network

A conspiracy? No I don’t think so .It has however raised a few questions.

Many Nintendo games score 9.something, but to be fair the reviewers always have a logical reason why the game did not receive 10 (i.e. some minor loading and lack of originality in Zelda). This is where I get confused… IGN for example point to a few minor flaws in GTAIV and therefore the game should not receive a 10 according to their system. Further they fail to mention that GTAIV is essentially an upgraded version of past GTA titles. In my opinion that is not a good enough reason to reduce a games score, but IGN reduce scores for pretty much every Nintendo franchise based off that fact alone. And lets not forget GTAIV is actually GTAVI (VII counting GTA London). It’s as if reviewers hold back on giving Nintendo titles a 10 because they fear criticism (i.e. "ign gave it 10 purely because it's nintendo").

Basically I don’t doubt GTAIV is a great game, but I also don’t believe it’s better than any other video game out there.

Onimusha12 said:
Of course GTAIV is going to be somehow turned into a spear to throw at Nintendo. How could this in any way have been avoided. Even in the modest attempt to make a legitimate thread the OP knew this would come of his efforts sitting infront of his computer monitor half gleeful half horrified like a child watching the house burn down he just set fire too.

Had this game come to the Wii I would have been just as dissapointed to see such a "below 70 IQ" game do so well. Games like GTA only remind me of how crap like Halo 3 and the Madden can secure top ranking positions in the gaming culture where ever lowering standards and enforced masculine standards have become the norm. Thanks G4TV! Thanks Spike TV! Thanks every gaming magazine who lives out of the ass of the PS3/360. Games like this sell largely to gamers who desire only the most shallowly gratifying of simulated anarchy to satisfy their highschoolish need to play out their fantasy egos and burn or blow up things of value. Games like this are made cultural phenomenons by every prepubesent boy masquerading as a man who sees his video game console as not a device of recreation but rather an extension of his penis and freudian super ego.

I can only assure you my dissapoint for this game would have been the same if not greater to have seen it do as well on the Wii.

I remember seeing a compilation video on IGN called "The Ladies of Liberty City" that showcased nothing but hookers, strippers, and shooting hookers/strippers. The comments were along the lines of "did you see him fucking that hooker before the helicopter blew up!!!" I actually felt embarassed at what that would look like to someone outside gaming. Video games are finally starting to be recognized as a legitimate art form, and here you have some immature video that caters to 15 year olds. The industry is growing, but there's still so much focus on its juvenile aspects. I mean, it's one of the most established names in gaming journalism taking one of the highest rated games of all time and making some childish video about it.

Next up on Ebert and Roeper, a compilation of their favorite sex scenes from this year's Oscar nominees.

Please note, I'm not trying to knock GTA. This was just a prime example of the problem I have with how many people still regard games.

The problem with our rating system is that as soon as a game received a 10 it is impossible to get any higher.

What if Final Fantasy XIII is gonna be better than GTA IV?

In case of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time the high review scores where valid. Many people saying "yeah, but Zelda also got a 10 so GTA IV can get one, too" are just too young to remember what a game Ocarina of Time was.

Not a single of it´s sequel was able to exceed the games pure awesomeness. When Ocarina of Time was released it changed the definitionon of gaming forever. Look at the lock on system in so many games - you know which game introduced a lock on system first, right? It was Ocarina of Time. The game also was the first to feature a complete world map you could explore all on your own - just like GTA.

When Ocarina of Time was release it was quite obvious there wouldn´t be another N64 game to top that as the game was just so revolutionary. It was impossible to even imagine there could be something bigger than Ocarina of Time and, yes: From an artisitc and gameplay standpoint the game is better than any Zelda release after it. It deserved a 10. I can´t see why GTA IV deserves a 10, though - unlike Ocarina of Time the game is a sequel to a well known series that existed in this way before. Ocarina of Time was something completely new, you couldn´t compare it to previous Zelda games.

I´m sure GTA deserves a score somewhere between 9.5 and 9.9 but not a 10. It´s just not revolutionary enough. It won´t change the definition of gaming forever. It will have a huge impact, though.

Video games are finally starting to be recognized as a legitimate art form

They are definitely not recognized as art. They are becoming a viable entertainment form. Because of GTA and Halo. Without these two names society, news wouldn't give a shit about gaming.

And to be honest who cares if they do. I play games because I like playing them. So why should I care that my hobby is in the public focus.

Kyros said:
Video games are finally starting to be recognized as a legitimate art form

They are definitely not recognized as art. They are becoming a viable entertainment form. Because of GTA and Halo. Without these two names society, news wouldn't give a shit about gaming.

And to be honest who cares if they do. I play games because I like playing them. So why should I care that my hobby is in the public focus.

There are college courses on video game culture. The Library of Congress wants to preserve video games along with film, music and literature. There are tons of debates on video games as art. Compare this to 10 years ago and you see the focus on games has grown tremendously. But you've preemptively devalued my examples with "who cares" anyways, so there's no use in arguing.