By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WTF! GTAIV 360: 720p, PS3: 620p ?!?

The_God_of_War said:

The PS3 version is NOT 620p!

http://www.ripten.com/2008/04/29/confirmed-gta-iv-ps3-is-not-630pits-640p/

It's 640p.

So it's not in "True HD" but it's widely agreed to look slightly better than the 360 version.

In a way, both consoles are "owned". The PS3 version cannot manage true HD, but the 360 version still cannot beat the PS3 version.

So are we still going off of one mans word?

I'll wait for comfirmation from Rockstar.......

Around the Network
ToastyJaguar said:
Check this article out.

This is for anyone out there who thinks the 360 version is "inferior".

http://www.videogamer.com/features/article/29-04-2008-389.html

And some people seem to think the 360 can't handle 1080p at all.
I'm playing GTAIV right now at 1080i.
And yes, the 360 does have a HDMI port lol

It's funny that they came to that conclusion, because I came to the opposite conclusion. Now, I'm basing my conclusion on the video you have linked.

0:25 - You can see a light pole underneath the arch. On the XBox360, it looks like it disappears completely from view, indicating poor anti-aliasing. On the PS3, it flickers in and out of view.  This also indicates poor/low levels of anti-aliasing, but at least the pole is being picked up.

0:30 - Look at the closest building in the background. Notice the ledge circling around the right of the building. Notice the jaggies on the XBox360 version? Notice the relatively smooth looking PS3 version?

1:50 - The sidewalk on the left and right look noticably smoother on the PS3 version driveby.

Those are the differences that stood out most to me, in terms of aliasing issues (I stopped watching the video after the sidewalk scene). The PS3 version clearly has fewer aliasing issues than the XBox360 version, based on this video. It amazes me that they came to their "the PS3 game clearly features more aliasing issues and a general roughness." They are spot on about the XBox360 version looking sharper though.

I own the PS3 version. And the game looks blurry, for lack of a better word. I haven't had a chance to check out the XBox360 version, but I'm anxious to see what differences I'll be able to spot in the actual game, on actual TVs, instead of checking random comparison videos that aren't even in HD.

Why not compare the game models? You know, the people, cars, and other objects? Or are they so close, they can't really fuel any fanboy debate?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

The natural resolution of the PS3 is 630p.
The natural resolution of the 360 is 720p.
Both 360 and PS3 can be upscaled to play in 1080p true HD resolution.

Rock_on_2008 said:
The natural resolution of the PS3 is 630p.
The natural resolution of the 360 is 720p.
Both 360 and PS3 can be upscaled to play in 1080p true HD resolution.
WIN!

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

And the 360 has yet one more foot up on the PS3 version, lol. True or not this is hillarious. It's funny watching all the Sony Gamers who would have trumped this up as Mana from God had it been announced vice versa in favor of the PS3 are now trying to play it down.

Oh, somehow I doubt this will affect sales, everyone can calmn down.

DOATS1 said:
what i'm concerned about is how the ps3 version has a 'visual edge' over the 360 version, when it's at a lower resolution. shouldn't the reviewers be at least saying that the 360 version has the edge or they both look too good to tell apart? i mean the ps3 version looks good enough for reviewers to point out that it looks better than it's rival.

i'm not saying this is defo false, but it seems pretty weird to me according to what the reviewers are saying.

Its because resolution doesn't soley determine how good a game looks.  I could play a game on my PC at very high resolution but with a lot of additional effects turned off... or play it at a lower resolution with all those effects on - guess which one looks better?

The reviews seem to be pretty much in agreement that the PS3 'looks' better due to 'slightly' better lighting, pos-processing effects, and so on - the resolution difference is not enough to make much difference and it would appear the 360 does not have quite as nice lighting, etc.  Also the HDD load on the PS3 is reducing pop-in and texture load times it would appear, which also contributes to the game looking better.

I've seen the game on both systems now and really the difference is not much.  The PS3 is def the overall better looking version to the eye - but we're not compaing the Mona Lisa to a sketch by a two year old, we're comparing two almost identical paintings with one being slightly better lit for viewing.

If you have 360 you've still got a good game (and the DLC if you buy it).  If you have a PS3 you have the same good game with a little extra sprinkle of chocolate on top (and maybe different DLC at some point, maybe not).

I say call it a draw and be happy.  I am.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Only now that it is confirmed the PS3 doesn't have the "numbers" edge in graphical advantages that people finally admit that Resolution isn't everything. Hasn't this been what we've been telling you from day one? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

The biggest problem is that no one realised. so all those giving shit about the ps3 version should shut up cause you couldn't tell from hte beginning anyway LOL.

Audiomatic said:
those people have taken it to far i guess, they need to relax and have few beers...maybe some pizza too or some girls might do the trick..

lol to them

I understand the pizza and beers part, but how come some girls will make you relax