By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Grand Theft UPS: copies of GTA stolen en route to retailers

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/04/28/grand-theft-ups-copies-of-gta-disappearing-en-route-to-retailers

The body of the article for the link-averse:

Grand Theft UPS: copies of GTA stolen en route to retailers

By Ben Kuchera | Published: April 28, 2008 - 08:13AM CT

After reporting on the hype and controversy surrounding the Tuesday release of Grand Theft Auto IV, I can't believe I'm going to write a "this game causes crime!" story, but here we go. I spoke to an employee of UPS over the weekend, and he told me that a surprising amount of workers were getting busted stealing the game from the shipment boxes. In one 24-hour period, three workers were fired, and more interviews were scheduled for today that would likely end in termination.

I asked if this was common when big-name games were released, and he told me no; the situation was novel, or he wouldn't have brought it up at all. The game was enticing enough for many workers to risk losing their job and, in typical fashion for low-level crimes like this, it has been easy to identify the workers stealing the games.

"When we have a [big name release], we communicate it to operations and security teams. We have security in place at the facilities, and we make sure they understand to keep an eye out for things to exit the building," he explained. How did they find where games were stolen? "We had tips from people inside, and some of them were discovered at intermediate hubs... it's easy to spot: flaps torn, some boxes are re-taped." In most cases, the bust is as easy as finding the last person who scanned the box as full and interviewing them.

"They're not selling them, these people are stealing one copy," he told me—all of the thefts seem to be for personal use. It seems many people think stealing a game a few days before release is worth it, and this is far from the perfect crime.

"As long as the people loading the packages are doing their jobs, it's easy to track down," our source told Ars. "It's kind of funny, isn't it? It's a game about theft, and people are stealing it." His eyes began to shine as he said, "and I get to terminate them." 

Thoughts? It personally reminded me of the cases of people who bought a PS3 during the launch week getting shot for them, even though they became readily available in stores mere weeks later...

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network

lol people are really stupid...i mean really stupid!

oh my god :(

That's sad! And pathetic as well.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Please say the employees of the Royal Mail do not do that (they might guess what an amazon package contains on April 29th)

Around the Network

I'm sure they thought they would get away with it.

^Guy pissing on Microsoft Sign

UBISOFT BOYCOTT

Why would anybody be dim enough to think they could get away with that? The tampering would be obvious, and the fact that they're employees makes it all the easier to catch them since it'd be obvious they did it if they filed the report as the last person to check the package, and obvious they did it if they failed to report it due to the fact that they were the one on shift when the box arrived.

It certainly seems like a great deal of criminal actions are done by people who don't actually think it through or plan it out... Especially crimes relating to video games...

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

How ironic.

I think its even stupider that these employees would even scan the box after stealing a copy.

Poor franky. What drives people to steal. Ah well. Human error.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions