By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Times in "Sony Wii" blunder

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=187829

Have you ever heard of the 'Sony Wii' before? We haven't, but The Times newspaper has - it mentioned it in an opinion piece about GTA this weekend.

While the paper shrugged off the usual 'GTA IV will ruin society' view that mainstream media takes with Rockstar's series, it's ironic that it should throw out any potentially-earned respect from the hardcore gaming crowd by making up it's own gaming format.

Discussing how absorbing recent games, including GTA IV, can be, the piece says: "The latest games designed for the Sony Wii console can even force players to break sweat."

It's not exactly a simple typo. It's almost as if the PS2 era, when 'PlayStation' was synonymous in the mainstream world with the term 'videogame', has spilled over into the present, when Wii is the only console these non-gamer types have heard of.

At least they appreciate the game: "The result of three years' work by 150 developers, it will draw tens of millions of users into an urban dystopia modelled closely on New York and realised in such staggering detail that the protagonist can relax between sessions spent prowling the city's virtual streets."

So no Daily Mail-style morality hissy fit, but get key details such as console names right, for heaven's sake. It's like kid in a games shop this weekend we heard ask for a copy of "GTA Iv-ey".

Face in hands.

-----------------------------------------------

I am sure there will be some Times reader looking for a Sony Wii at a local gamespot LOL

Around the Network

Can't wait to break a sweat on my new Sony Wii!

*dies a little inside*

@soriku

lol

@ALL

so they didn't even mention 360??

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Years ago, a company I was working for was giving away a "Sony iPod" ...

In the 1980s and 1990s Sony built up such a reputation for being ahead of the curve with their Walkman/Discman music players, Playstation videogame console and Trinitron/Wega TVs that people associate anything high-tech and cool with them.

Have you heard Einstein's book that only twelve men “in all the world could comprehend.”

Well, I sure haven't

I think in retrospect, this is nowhere NEAR as big a blunder as that one. But then again, maybe NY time once again sent out their "golf" correspondent. ;)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

Sony plus Nintendo = ruined society ;)

Tempus fugit Nintendo manet.

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Member - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Regular - Pass 2k
Level 4 - Addicted - Pass 5k
Level 5 - Obsessed - Pass 10k
Level 6 - Old Guard - Pass 20k
Level 7 - Legend - Pass 50k
Level 8 - Demi-God - Pass 100k
Level 9 - God - Pass 250k
Level 10 - Zeus - Pass 500k

New Table:

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Rookie - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Padawan - Pass 10k
Level 4 - Sea Dog - Pass 25k
Level 5 - Captain - Pass 50k
Level 6 - Agent - Pass 100k
Level 7 - Elite - Pass 175k
Level 8 - Hero - Pass 250k
Level 9 - Legend - Pass 500k
Level 10 - Titan - Pass 1 Million

The Times is blaming Wiifit... on Sony.

I enjoy playing my Sony Wii on my Nintendo Bravia HDTV.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

RolStoppable said:
The Wii is definitely the best console Sony ever made. I'm loving it.

haha kudos

Proud member of the Fierce Fox Force.

"I strike spurs onto my Wii controller. And against Sony and MS I fling myself,
unvanquished and unyielding. 'O Wii!!!"

-The Nintendian Philosophy

Lol silly people :D