By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Fit sold every 4 seconds on launch day

NEWS: 28 April 2008 12:54 GMT by Amy-Mae Elliott

It looks as if Wii Fit is well on its way to becoming the fastest selling Wii game ever with retailers telling Pocket-lint that Friday was a blockbusting day for the new fitness game.

Since its launch in Japan on 1 December 2007, Wii Fit has already sold in excess of 1.4 million units to date, making it one of the fastest selling Wii titles in Japan.

Here in the UK, it has already outstripped all previous records on Play.com by selling out the entire pre-order allocation in one day leaving the online retailer "overwhelmed" by demand.

A spokesperson for the DSG group, that includes Currys, PC World and Dixons.co.uk, told Pocket-lint that they were selling a copy of Wii Fit every 4 seconds on Friday, with some stores now sold out of the game.

An Amazon.co.uk spokesperson also informed us that Wii Fit has proved "wildly popular" and their stock was sold out within 24 hours. Although they would not release exact figures they said the sales levels were "unprecedented for a fitness product".

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/14267/15291/wiifit-sold-every-four-seconds.phtml

------------------------------------------------------------

eVEN THOUGH I AM NOT INTERESTED IN THIS GAME......damn!!!!

EDIT:  this 4 second thing only applies to the  mentioned in Bold and probably not every retailer........

Around the Network

damn every 4 seconds?

I wonder if they count business days or full 24 hour days. 

So it sold 21.6K units

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Oyvoyvoyv said:
So it sold 21.6K units

True.  But thats pretty impressive for one day.  Eh?

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

loadedstatement said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
So it sold 21.6K units

True. But thats pretty impressive for one day. Eh?

That's from just one group, not all of uk....

Around the Network

like i said wii fit is going to be huge.

3DS FC: 4355-9313-6815

1,4 million since launch in Japan? I thought it was close to 2 million already...
Btw those UK numbers are really low, Chartrack said it was the 6th biggest opening in the UK which makes it go over 250k units (2 days)

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

I don't think anyone saw this coming.

Wii Fit go to be a really monster in Europe.

Wii Fit’ flexes its muscles at the top of the All Formats chart this week, giving Nintendo a very healthy complexion thanks to the 6th fastest selling UK debut ever (only bettered by GTA, Halo and Gran Turismo titles).

The fitness game was launched on Friday, bundled with a balance board accessory at a price of £69.99 and was bought by roughly 1 in 10 Wii console owners over its first 2 days of release. ‘Wii Fit’ recorded an estimated £16.3m making it the 3rd largest launch in terms of value for a video gaming product, behind ‘Gran Theft Auto: San Andreas’ (£24.2m in week 44 2004) and ‘Halo 3’ (£16.9m in week 39 2007). Nintendo has now eclipsed the record-breaking launch only two weeks ago of ‘Mario Kart Wii’ with ‘Wii Fit’ replacing it as the Japanese giant’s fastest selling title in the UK. Sales of ‘Mario Kart Wii’ slow dramatically this week, slipping by 62%, but the popular racer only drops to No2 while Sega’s ‘Mario & Sonic’ also makes way, down from No2 to No3. Half of all Wii software sold this week was ‘Wii Fit’ sales, while 79% was published by either Nintendo or Sega. It is the first time since ‘Pokemon Ruby’ and ‘Pokemon Sapphire’ on GBA five years ago that Nintendo has had the top 2 games in the All Formats Chart.

‘Gran Turismo 5: Prologue’ and ‘Pro Evolution Soccer 2008’ fall one place, dropping to No’s 4 and 5 respectively. The ever-present ‘Brain Training’ is the only All Formats Top 10 game to move up the chart, climbing from No9 to No8. Bundling and retailer promotions mean rises for ‘Sonic and the Secret Rings’ up from No25 to No17, ‘Rayman Raving Rabbids 2’ up from No22 to No19, ‘WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2008’ up from No34 to No21 and ‘Halo 3’ a re-entry at No31. The only other new entry this week is Sony’s ‘Singstar Summer Party’ on PS2, which debuts at No30.

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=545&s=1111

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.