By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Another comparison of GTA IV PS3 vs X360

Press_the_Button said:
IllegalPaladin said:
DMeisterJ said:
This thread is growing at an alarming rate.

And growing into what looks like the same stuff as the other threads.. lol, the same people too. 

Whatever, it's an interesting argument that both sides make here. 

Tell me about this thread growing. I'd read the others and throught people would have got bored of arguing and this thread would die a quiet death as a result.

Alas, I step away from my PC for 5 minutes and 20 comments get added!

I know, I thought this game was argued to death.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:

Yes, a game that gives you ~100 hours of gameplay, plus Multiplayer, having to wait 440 seconds is a disadvantage... okay.

The list says nothing about the importance of the advantages. That's up to the reader to judge. Hard drive space is also important.

To tell the truth, all that I'm worried about is the pop-in. That's the only thing which can be potentially annoying.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

FJ-Warez said:
NJ5 said:
NJ5 said:

Here's my version of the score card with all the caveats I can think of:

PS3 wins in:
- Some motion controls.
- Less loading times
- Less pop-in
- Free network play

360 wins in:
- Frame-rate
- Aliasing/paint filter
- No install
- Rumble (unless you have DualShock 3 which will cost you extra)
- Achievements.

Do people agree with this list or not? Anything missing there?

I agree, but you know... now this is some kind of pointless war...

Actually, according to IGN, which I know most of us respect more as a review website, the list is more like this:

PS3 wins in:
- Some motion controls.
- Less loading times
- Less pop-in
- Free network play
- Frame-rate
- Aliasing/paint filter

360 wins in:
- No install
- Achievements.

which bet the question, how credible is this website you just quoted from? 

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:

Yes, a game that gives you ~100 hours of gameplay, plus Multiplayer, having to wait 440 seconds is a disadvantage... okay.

The list says nothing about the importance of the advantages. That's up to the reader to judge.

Starcraft said that sitting for a seven minute install was not an advantage.

A not advantage is a disadvantage.  Yes?

NJ5 said:
NJ5 said:

Here's my version of the score card with all the caveats I can think of:

PS3 wins in:
- Some motion controls.
- Less loading times
- Less pop-in
- Free network play

360 wins in:
- Frame-rate
- Aliasing/paint filter
- No install
- Achievements.

Do people agree with this list or not? Anything missing there?

I don't think frame-rate for the 360 should be considered a 'win' for the reason other people have quoted. Oh hell what am I saying? Much of everything in the comparison is either a 'tiny bit better' or on par. I would probably say that the thing you could say is the closest to a 'win' would be the PS3 install to help the loadtimes and pop-in. Even then, it's not something GIGANTIC (emphasis on the caps). 

People may like achievements and the gamerscore and Xbox Live while others may like not having to pay for online and may or may not like rumble enough to buy or not buy a DS3. 

Honsetly, meh....  

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
Press_the_Button said:
IllegalPaladin said:
DMeisterJ said:

And growing into what looks like the same stuff as the other threads.. lol, the same people too. 

Tell me about this thread growing. I'd read the others and throught people would have got bored of arguing and this thread would die a quiet death as a result.

I wonder if people will give up arguing come Tuesday when they get to play the game?

Hang on, I can see people posting "My review of GTA IV" threads and the war contuning with renewed vigour, but this time with added screenshots, sales figures and YouTube videos!

Feel free to call me a cynic!

I am largely platform agnostic. I fail to understand why some people get overly fanboyish about what is an inanimate piece of electronics that's obsolete even before it's launched, when there are far more important things to champion, such as preventing environmental destruction or preventing millions of people dying unnecessarily from illnesses. This fact however, doesn’t mean I am not someone who doesn’t enjoy gaming as a pastime (as I have done for the last 20 years) or doesn’t have a strong interest in how the market is evolving – hence my presence on this site.

Platforms owned – PC, DS, X-Box 360, PS3, PSP and Wii.

Press_the_Button said:
DMeisterJ said:
Press_the_Button said:
IllegalPaladin said:
DMeisterJ said:

I wonder if people will give up arguing come Tuesday when they get to play the game?

Hang on, I can see people posting "My review of GTA IV" threads and the war contuning with renewed vigour, but this time with added screenshots, sales figures and YouTube videos!

I think I'll be too busy playing Tuesday to give a rat's ass about frame-rate issues and whatnot.

Press_the_Button said:
DMeisterJ said:
Press_the_Button said:
IllegalPaladin said:
DMeisterJ said:

Hopefully people will be too busy playing the game than to merely talk about it.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
DMeisterJ said:
NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:

The list says nothing about the importance of the advantages. That's up to the reader to judge.

Starcraft said that sitting for a seven minute install was not an advantage.

A not advantage is a disadvantage. Yes?

I said that having less pop-up is an advantage.

I said that having faster load times is an advantage.

I said that starting the game the moment you get it is an advantage.

By IGN's account, loading is EXTREMELY rare and the 360 will take only a few more seconds.  Yet, I haven't nit-picked the importance of that advantage have I? 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

DOATS1 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
DOATS1 said:
to be fair, without the install, the ps3 version could have been a train wreck. it being being mandatory says alot more than just minor technical advantages. why not make it optional? i wonder why...

For the same reason every PC games requires an install. Because it would be stupid not to.

You want developers to think like this: 

"Hey look, we have a HD in every console, we could install to the HD and get faster load times, and faster texture loads. Then we can  taylor our engine to expect those load times and deliver a better game. Bah, screw it, let's make it an option, save the people 7 minutes, and deliver a worse game. Yea, I like that idea!"

so....why not make it optional??? people who want to install, will install, people who don't want to, don't have to.

Why use the video card? Make that optional too. Software 3d for those that want no load times at all. It will look 1000 time worse, but load instantly.

Look, the PS3 comes with a collection of tools for the developers to utilize. One of those tools is a HD. Why not use it?

And to directly answer your question. Let's say you could stream 100 textures a second off the HD, and 40 off an optical drive. If you were constrained to 40, you would design your game differently. You would put less marquees down a street, or populate the town with less unique car types, or people. You would have to compromise something.

a 7 minute install to not have to make that compromise is a huge advantage. Mass Effect on the PC will look far better for the same reason.

When nothing is constraining you from using the HD, why would you constrain yourself?