By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why did you bought a wii?

I was hyped up about the PS3 for maybe a year and know a little of the Revolution but not much. I just kept losing hype for the PS3 because the price seemed real high and I didn't know of but a couple games I wanted for it. I was talking to my brother about the PS3 and Wii and he said he would go half in on a Wii and that sounded good to me.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Around the Network
coolestguyever said:
twesterm said:
Well, at the time (launch):

Wii Sports
Excite Truck
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Elebits
Rayman: Raving Rabbids
Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2
Warioware: Smooth Moves

In order to buy a console I have to have enough games to justify the price. If there are enough games that I want to equal the price of the console then I buy it.

There are six games on that list (minus Wii Sports), so $50*6 = $300 which is great than $250 so I bought the console.

For me it wouldn't be worth it to buy a wii then based on your math.

Now:

Super Smash bros brawl

Mario Kart Wii

Maybe Resident Evil 4

So thats 3 x $50 = $150. $100 less than the cost of the console.

See, the problem with people buying a console just a small handful of games is that they get bored quickly and then they complain that their system doesn't have any games and they are just in general upset about their purchase.

Now I'm not saying you're guilty of this but lets pretend you are.  You bought the console for SSBB, MK, and RE4.  What do you do after those three games?  Luckily MK and SSBB can continue to be awesome but what if for some reason you don't like them or you just decide you're done with them?  You're stuck with a console that just sits there and collects dust.

With my method, I don't necessarily have to buy all those games but it's nice to know I have the choice.  If I don't like one of the games I bought or I just get finished with one I know I still have other games to fall back on.  By the time I'm finished with those games on the list more have come out. 

Technically my wife bought it for me for Christmas, a few months after launch. I wanted it because it looked like it might be fun and had a few good games out and even if it was just a gimmick it would be worth it for a couple of years until the PS3 came down in price and actually had some games I was interested in. Although the price dropped well on the PS3, it still does not have as many games I am interested in for the PS3 as I expected there to be, and the motion controls are less of a gimmick than I was expecting. Right now, I am thinking I might not even bother with a PS3 or 360 at all this gen, or get that very late if at all.

Words Of Wisdom said:
super_etecoon said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

The "edit title" button should be for mods AND topic creators.

Here's the only problem I see with giving that control to users....

Suggest you create a thread with the title "Post Here if You Love Nintendo"

Then everyone who loves Nintendo comes in, signs their name, and leaves.

Then the thread creator hits the little "edit thread title" button and changes the word "Nintendo" to "2 Girls and a Cup."

Do you see the hijinks that could be avoided by only giving that power to mods?

Let me ask you then, in your situation, what is the underlying problem? Is it the feature itself or a user abusing it?

You're always going to have troublesome users, spammers...etc, but the solution needs to fit the problem. If one user starts spamming posts, do you take away everyone's ability to post? Of course not, that would be absurd. You're not solving the problem by doing that.

The solution is simply to add a line to the forum rules that says not to abuse the feature and then enforce that rule. Problem solved.

I know this works because there are other forums out there that let the Topic Creator edit the title and they don't have these problems. Did they have the problems you describe at first? Maybe, but time and rule enforcement conditioned the users to understand what uses of the feature were acceptible and what weren't.

I'm sure you're right.  spammers are spammers and I'm sure if someone changed their thread title to reflect poorly on all the posters in that thread their would be a thousand "report this user" to the mod's mailboxes.  I'm not sure why they haven't implemented it, then.  There have been requests for thsi feature since we have been here....and nothing ever gets done about it.  You know more about coding than I do: is there a limitation to this forum interface that doesn't allow for it?

cause it's Nintendo! I'm a Nintendo fan since the NES.

.: Wii & DS: Perfect Combination :.

Around the Network

the motion controls
the games

i saw red steel and i said i have to get a wii now

and i liked red steel

I bought it cause it was 'the cool thing' and pretty cheap... seems like itd be a nice party game, and it was for a bit

I dont really touch it anymore, nor do my friends/family, the only time it gets turned on is for the people who come over who havn't played it, and ppl always love it!

I was actually going to skip this gen, stick with my gamecube, and maybe buy a PS2 later on. However, when I heard there was going to be motion controls, I fell in love with the wii, and chose to buy it starting in January 07. I thought that it would be easier to find after Christmas. Boy, was I wrong. Took me till May 07.

I bought it so I could play Fire Emblem's sequel.
Also, ToS was working better on the Wii, even though it's supposed to be the same, the Wii's faster CPU clock helped the effects works without freezing like on Gamecube.
And I was heavily interested in the social online features, and after seeing the effect of GCN games on my family (they started playing games and asking me to play with them), the Wii appeared to extend on that.
It was just the perfect console for me, so I got one on launch day (first time ever).

I decided to buy a Wii when I learnt that One Piece Unlimited Adventure will be release on Wii.
I did good because I love the game (almost 200 hours lifetime)
An other reason to buy the Wii is the wiimote and that, after the DS, I had faith on Nintendo and IWATA. For me, it's a hero.